Tim Cook: It's Unwise to Burden the Tablet With The Legacy of the PC

System
System Posts: 446
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTim Cook: It's Unwise to Burden the Tablet With The Legacy of the PC

Ever since the iPad has been launched, we've seen several accessories and even Kickstarter projects that have targeted users who miss a physical keyboard.

Some of Apple's competitors like Asus have launched products like Asus Eee Pad Slider which comes with a slide-out tablet. We have also seen laptop and tablet combos such as Toshiba's Portege M930.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Que
    Que Posts: 48
    via Wordpress
    A tablet is a touchscreen laptop without a keyboard. Period. People are brainwashed.
  • Reeplay
    Reeplay Posts: 19
    via Wordpress
    So, what he said in the begining is basicaly, "If you just think the tablet isn't supposed to be able to do everything we expect it to, then it is the best thing ever."Somehow that just sounds like lazy talk. "Look at at this 100 year old PC. It actually sucks, but if you think about how old it is, then it's great!" No, it's still a piece of crap by todays standards. It doesn't matter if the tablets are carrying the PC legacy or not, that's not the point. What people want is funcionality, usefullness and looks. The main selling point of an iPad (or any apple product, for that matter) is that it's extremely usefull in everydays life. Then having the apple CEO saying "Well, it is actually extremely limited, a laptop can still do more" is atleast slightly contradictory. Instead of trying to get lame excuses like this, why don't you guys innovate a little more? Let's face it, since Steve Jobs has gone under the grave, Apple hasn't seen alot of inovation, just a slight upgrade of the products he invented. And Apple is known for inovating and pushing the world forward.
  • Utente-a-caso
    Utente-a-caso Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    AND with a dedicated operating system AND with a dedicated UI. Isn't that enough to make a BIG difference?Want to add a third?A tablet is optimized for mobility and casual use (e.g. you can use it for 10 seconds while you are standing on a bus, for example, and you don't have to sit down to put it on your knees) - so it is always on, have a long lasting battery and often have a 3G/4G module builtin
  • wakawaka
    wakawaka Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Mr. Cook,You are "somewhat" wrong.With a tablet, you can either consume or produce information. To consume info, you don´t need a keyboard. But to produce info in an efficient and confortable way, you (still) need it.Eventually, we will not need them. But just right now, we do.Analogies ? With a car, you can drive it or be a passenger. As a passenger, you don´t need a steering wheel. As a driver, you (still) need it.....It has been so for the last 100 year, and still no way to get rid of it.....but, it will eventually happen.......
  • Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress
    Apple has not come up with a new product because it hasn't found the right one to steal and call it's own. Que a tablet is not a laptop it's a tablet. Even the cheapest laptop is much more powerful the even the fastest tablet. It's like comparing a 4 cylinder engine to an 8 cylinder engine
  • bart
    bart Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    It all depends on individual's needs. In my personal opinion a tablet is ment to be as portable device as it can be and the more functionality it delivers the better, however, it is limited by desing and the idea at all. People who belive it is possible to have every thing integrated in such a small, thin and light device are being unrealistic.
  • iBoy
    iBoy Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    What Cook says isn't quite true. Last year, Microsoft tossed the early build of a tablet/PC hybrid made by Samsung that looks very cool (link below). I look forward to it because I am getting tired of keeping switching between my iPad and PC.http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Mike-Angiulo-Unboxes-the-Build-Hardware-With-Us
  • pakaku
    pakaku Posts: 31
    via Wordpress
    If the iPad were a laptop replacement, Apple wouldn't be selling Macbooks anymore.
  • mabbent
    mabbent Posts: 40
    via Wordpress
    And I want my Mini-Cooper to do the same work as my Ford F-350 Heavy Duty.
  • Reeplay
    via Wordpress
    Never said it would replace laptops. Just said that Apple themselves created some kind of standards around the iPad that make me think it's the most usefull tool i can have. And then Tim Cooks comes around saying basicaly, that "it's very usefull, but only because you shouldn't think about it as being the most usefull tool you can buy". Where do we stand then?Just watch any of the iPad comercials.Don't get me wrong, i love my iPad 2 and New iPad, it's not the product im dissing. It's Tim Cooks statements. It just sounds bad, like they are trying to excuse themselves and their shortcomings. You would never ear Steve Jobs stating **** like this.
  • Reeplay
    via Wordpress
    I'm sure your Mini-Cooper isn't advertised as doing the same work the Ford F-350 Heavy Duty does.But the iPad sure is advertised as doing what my PC does, and more. It doesn't, no matter how many Jailbreak tweaks i get it.
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
    So when Apple releases their own TV, I bet many like you will say, "Apple stole that from this, that, and them."Its funny how apple releases something, many people cry with hate.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    Why couldn't the benefits of the two solutions be combined into the same system? If a pc, as a laptop, gives the opportunity to give legacy apps and still have a possibility to un-attach from the laptop to become a tablet. Actually it's not that difficult, it's still technology that exist today. Although majority of these devices, that are available of switching between laptop and tablet, are based on android and can't use essential legacy apps for the pc. But say for the upcoming win 8 for example, based on x86 systems, the possibilities extends with the mobility of tablets and the functionability of laptops, into one integrated system. The limitations of what you can do is in the end based on the OS. If the OS is user-friendly and still can be productive there is no matter whether it is a laptop or tablet. I think the argument that a keyboard makes the tablet more clumsier is a lame excuse, because there are always ways to come around this, just look at the Transformer Eee Tab.
  • s0ulo
    s0ulo Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    And then right after hate'n and talking **** about apple, they turn around and buy an iPhone and an iPad lol. Go figure
  • matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress
    I don't understand. Why not use whats out there? Apple makes Bluetooth keyboards for iPad. There are even iPad cases with keyboards built in. If your a content creator you need to carry this additional device or get this case. I dont understand why apple has to build it in for you.
  • GunDoc
    GunDoc Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    LOL! He said kick ass! Great analogy of toaster and refrigerator. A product is produced to meet a certain need and requirement. A tablet is a middle ground, an in between agent that will connect the heavy weight work of the desktop/laptop computer, and the light weight of something you put on your hip or in your pocket... The tablet provides you the function without the heft, at least until the computer OS's converge with the mobile, hand held, market OS's. IMHO, that is where we are all headed--a computer based, handheld OS. Not a matter of if, but when.