Rumor: Next-Gen iPhone to Get Broadcom BCM4334 Chip With Wi-Fi Direct For AirDrop

System
System Posts: 446
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageRumor: Next-Gen iPhone to Get Broadcom BCM4334 Chip With Wi-Fi Direct For AirDrop

We've some more information about the next generation iPhone (iPhone5,1), courtesy folks at 9to5Mac who have been digging through the beta version of iOS 6 running on a prototype of the next iPhone.

9to5Mac reports that Apple could use Broadcom BCM4334 single-chip dual-band combo chip in the next generation iPhone, which is a follow up to BCM4330 which is used in the new iPad and iPhone 4S.

According to AnandTech, this new chip will need half the power for Wi-Fi :

Read the full story here

Comments

• sgnehd
    sgnehd Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    1) All this file-sharing stuff is just software; no new chip required. Look at Nintendo and its DS: standard 802.11b chip, non-standard protocol above the ethernet layer.1a) NIH: Apple already has AirPlay Mirroring, what would Wifi Display do other than cannibalise Apple TV sales2) If Apple were even slightly interested in simple file sharing on iOS, then a) it would have files, and b) it would have added OBEX to its Bluetooth* implementation sometime in the past five years.* Bluetooth is now exactly as fast as wifi, because when fast transfers are required, the newest bluetooth standard supports negotiating a wifi link to do the heavy lifting.
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    via Wordpress
    Apple wanting users to deal with files? Not very sure of how likely that would be (FWIW, I'm dying for such kind of functionality)As the above commentor says, why not support bluetooth file sharing?!
  • Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress
    Bluetooth file sharing would make sense if vanilla iOS would have visible files. Apple chose to abstract the layer of files and UI to make it simpler as they say. For the mass consumer market that Apple guns for, its a pretty good decision. For you (I'm sure its a safe assumption) and most people with brains on this site (I daresay, including me) its a pain because transferring stuff like this is pretty important. I don't particularly enjoy my Android file explorer though, it seems out of place on a phone. Flip side of the argument? Well, EVERYONE likes to transfer mostly two things on average to their mobile devices: pictures and different forms of audio (songs, ringtones etc.). You could add videos to that list as well perhaps. Apple should make a transfer protocol that can at least work with those media types, and place them in the right app (iPhoto etc.)As far as legality goes, not sure how they will handle the music sharing bit...but user generated content shouldn't be a problem. /justmytwocents.
  • ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress
    apple your still behind . android phones have 2 gig of ram, 1 gig of ram is not good bring 2 gig of ram to the iphone and "your the winner of all smartphone". apple forever