Dev Team Warn iPhone 3G Users to Avoid Upgrading to Upcoming Firmware 2.2

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageDev Team Warn iPhone 3G Users to Avoid Upgrading to Upcoming Firmware 2.2

There is rumors that iPhone firmware 2.2 will be released this Friday (Nov 21st, 2008) and iPhone Dev Team have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the first generation iPhone running iPhone firmware 2.2 Beta 2 which was seeded to developers of its iPhone Developer program. However, in a post yesterday they...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

Thanks for this. Warning to everyone, upgrading without waiting for the all clear can risk bricking your phone. http://www.y3.com

• m goode
    m goode Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm glad people won't have problems like that with the Motorola Krave. I've been a fan of the krave ever since I started working with Motorola not too long ago. I especially like the 2 mp camera and blue tooth connectivity. (motorola.com/krave) It's definitely a big contender right now.

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

thanks for the heads up, I wasn't planning on upgrading to 2.2 anyways when it would come out, I was going to just stick to 2.1 and wait.

• T. Payne
    T. Payne Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

Motorola Krave, 1st time I ever heard of it... so it must defiantly a contender out for the iPhones title... lol

• jeff69cali
    jeff69cali Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I to do not jump on the band wagon as soon as an upgrade becomes available. I just upgraded to 2.1 and have reloaded all my apps and love'n it!!! I'm not too keen on 2.2 because it seems like there's not a whole lot to get excited about. The only reason I updated to 2.1 is because I had a few apps that wouldn't load. I'll hang out and watch for a while before I take another drastic measure of updating everything.

• astavria
    astavria Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

So if I have unlocked my iphone 3g (turbo sim) I should wait until the knew pwnage is released and until the coast is clear?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hi Astavria,

That's correct, the iPhone dev team have recommended that you wait for their all clear before you upgrade to iPhone firmware 2.2.

However, that is if you are looking to unlock your iPhone 3G using the software method.

Turbo SIM is the hardware method to unlock iPhone (does it work??) and should ideally be independent of the firmware update as far as we know.

cheers!

• PeterH
    PeterH Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Why would you not upgrade to 2.2? The dev team haven't been able to do anything with V2....lots of rumors, nothing published.

• suresh
    suresh Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I HAVE A PROBLEM IN IPHONE I COUD LIKE TO UNLOCK. SO PLZ SEND ME THE SOFT....
    THANKS.
    SURESH

• Forest
    Forest Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have the same problem as Scott. Update went find. And I can get on my provider for a split second and then the connection breaks and the phone gives me a no service error! It's evil. Apple stop messing with my phone! Just let me unlock already!

• Maurice Giles
    Maurice Giles Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

thanks for the warning.........i was just about to upgrade .......

• mrobby
    mrobby Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

So Im still trying to figure this out. If Im on ATT and I don't need to unlock my phone but I do want to jailbreak it can I upgrade to 2.2? It doesn't appear there is a jailbreak for 2.2 yet but am I correct in the statement that If I dont care about unlock I could upgrade to 2.2?

• mjk
    mjk Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i have a jailbreak iphone 3g with software 2.1. i have no intention of ever unlocking it. if i upgraded the firmware, would it mess up the jailbreak on my phone?

• Samko
    Samko Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey just downgrade.. Go find the 2.1 firmware online.. Turn your iphone off Hold the home button and plug in the usb.. I tunes should start and ur phone should be in safe mode.. Hold the shift button on ur keyboard and hit restore button this way you can choose what you want it to restore to.. Find the firmware you downloaded and set that back.. Then jailbreak it again..

• Lorenzo
    Lorenzo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i tried that downgrade and it wont work because i itunes automaticly updates back to 2.2 and i also get a error code

• steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

I don't have a jailbroken iPhone and I updated to 2.2...I'm having doubts about it though. Connecting to the network seems to have some issues and signal seems weaker.

Will jailbreak though when a release for 2.2 is out.

• vishious
    vishious Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

yeah i just read this after upgrading... everything seemed fine at first but every now and then my phone crashes and I see the apple logo

• Diaz
    Diaz Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

Thanks for the heads up. I have a problem and I'm not sure if I'm in the right place.
    I have a jailbroken Iphone with 2.1 firmware, which will not allow me to access my 3G network. It works fine with any wifi network, I've tried everything that the support guys at virgin have suggested, they said that my last option is to upgrade to 2.2 (which I'm trying to avoid at the moment). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• neo
    neo Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

sadly i'm one of those who upgraded to 2.2 & now stuck with it. now question is whether i'll be able use upcoming soft unlock for 3g or not? is it possible to downgrade to 2.1 and then use soft unlock? pls someone explain!!!