imageLeaked 13.3″ MacBook Pro Specs Reveals Only Minor Improvements

Leaked 13.3 MacBook Pro Specs Reveal Only Minor Improvements

Read the full story here

Comments

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    Let's hope this is fake!
  • I know my CEO will be dissappointed.
  • lol are you serious?????? Do you know the implications of running a retina display in a 13.3 macbook? It's ridiculous to think that given the meagre graphics chip that is HD4000, it doesn't stand a chance. look at the iPad 3, it has double the graphics performance of an iPad 2 but still underperforms in graphics applications compared to it due to running twice the resolution. That's not to mention that they would have to double the size of the battery, let alone make the laptop thinner. Get a grip.
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 13
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 1
    Anyone else notice the USB 3.0 ports
  • iJohn
    iJohn Posts: 41
    As noted by Cydiahelpsux, there isn't enough graphics power for a higher rez display. However, all the MacBook Pros have dual GPUs. Adding an external display (regardless of type or rez) forces the second GPU and these specs show "Mini DisplayPort" compatibility. Maybe the HD 4000 can handle that, but I'll believe it when I see it for real-real, and not just for play-play.
  • Nitsud
    Nitsud Posts: 12
    Lame. Best be fake!
  • maverick99
    maverick99 Posts: 22
    This better be fake .. it's high time Apple updates the MacBook Pro.
  • As noted by Cydiahelpsux, there isn't enough graphics power for a higher rez display. However, all the MacBook Pros have dual GPUs. Adding an external display (regardless of type or rez) forces the second GPU and these specs show "Mini
    DisplayPort" compatibility. Maybe the HD 4000 can handle that, but I'll believe it when I see it for real-real, and not just for play-play.
    iJohn, I'm afraid you may be slightly confused about GPU's. All MBP's don't have dual GPU's, the 13.3 only has a single GPU, the HD4000, regardless of how many display outputs it has. What this means is that it can support dual displays ie 2 monitors from the same GPU. The 15 and 17 inch MBP's have the option of dual GPU's, but that means they switch to the more powerful one for intensive graphics like gaming or 3D modeling, the GPU's cant run at the same time.
  • Why are people so disappointed with this? The 13.3 just isn't powerful enough to run a retina display. The Ivybridge, USB3.0 and BT4.0 are great updates, this will still blow ANY windows ultrabook out of the water.
  • iJohn
    iJohn Posts: 41
    As noted by Cydiahelpsux, there isn't enough graphics power for a higher rez display. However, all the MacBook Pros have dual GPUs. Adding an external display (regardless of type or rez) forces the second GPU and these specs show "Mini
    DisplayPort" compatibility. Maybe the HD 4000 can handle that, but I'll believe it when I see it for real-real, and not just for play-play.
    iJohn, I'm afraid you may be slightly confused about GPU's. All MBP's don't have dual GPU's, the 13.3 only has a single GPU, the HD4000, regardless of how many display outputs it has. What this means is that it can support dual displays ie 2 monitors from the same GPU. The 15 and 17 inch MBP's have the option of dual GPU's, but that means they switch to the more powerful one for intensive graphics like gaming or 3D modeling, the GPU's cant run at the same time.
    I suppose you're right. I guess that's why I don't know anyone who bought a 13inch.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 4
    Why are people so disappointed with this? The 13.3 just isn't powerful enough to run a retina display. The Ivybridge, USB3.0 and BT4.0 are great updates, this will still blow ANY windows ultrabook out of the water.
    While you are correct that a retina display would run sluggish on the current 4000 and battery, i must disagree with your blowing any windows ultrabook out of the water. There are several true ultrabooks with extremely similar specs available. And while this may not be a true "ultrabook", but samsung series 7 is designed nearly exactly that of a macbook pro. Same size (although 14") as far as dimensions, weight, and thickness. Backlit keyboard, macbook type tracpad, etc. And the series 7 is actually superior to these rumored new 13" MBP specs. Although it is an i5 2.5-3.0 ivy bridge, predecessor to the sandy bridge, it has 8GB RAM, 750GB hdd with an 8GB flash SSD express cache, switchable embedded intel HD and 1GBGDDR5 6490M, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, Centrino Advanced-N 6230, etc. And I purchased this laptop for $998. While I am by no means an apple hater and do very much appreciate apple's aesthetics, especially the MBP line, I would hardly say your statement that this rumored MBP specs blow any comparable windows laptop out of the water ;).
  • Why are people so disappointed with this? The 13.3 just isn't powerful enough to run a retina display. The Ivybridge, USB3.0 and BT4.0 are great updates, this will still blow ANY windows ultrabook out of the water.
    While you are correct that a retina display would run sluggish on the current 4000 and battery, i must disagree with your blowing any windows ultrabook out of the water. There are several true ultrabooks with extremely similar specs available. And while this may not be a true "ultrabook", but samsung series 7 is designed nearly exactly that of a macbook pro. Same size (although 14") as far as dimensions, weight, and thickness. Backlit keyboard, macbook type tracpad, etc. And the series 7 is actually superior to these rumored new 13" MBP specs. Although it is an i5 2.5-3.0 ivy bridge, predecessor to the sandy bridge, it has 8GB RAM, 750GB hdd with an 8GB flash SSD express cache, switchable embedded intel HD and 1GBGDDR5 6490M, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, Centrino Advanced-N 6230, etc. And I purchased this laptop for $998. While I am by no means an apple hater and do very much appreciate apple's aesthetics, especially the MBP line, I would hardly say your statement that this rumored MBP specs blow any comparable windows laptop out of the water ;).
    You make some interesting points, the samsung 7 series is a very nice piece of hardware, but hybrid hard drives are readily available to put in any notebook, or desktop for that matter. HD4000 graphics are actually faster than a 6490M. Ivybridge is the successor to Sandybridge, not the predecessor. My biggest pro for the MBP though would be its ability to run both OSX and Windows NATIVELY, which, I'm afraid, no ultrabook or even any PC can do. As for price, yes MBPs are expensive, but they hold their value a hell of a lot longer than laptops. I'm not getting into an apple v microsoft argument here, I use a windows PC for gaming every day, and I can honestly say thats where macs fall far behind, the availability of current games releases.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 4
    @Cydiahelpsux

Apologies. I actually wrote that backwards. I meant that my SS7 is a sandy bridge, and that it was predecessor to the ivy. But yes, hybrids drives have been available for some time now. But the SS7 HDD isn't actually a hybrid drive. It actually sports a 750GB HDD with a separate 8GB SSD drive embedded into the motherboard. Its actually more similar to flash memory than a true SSD. And while there is a way to format the 8GB and use it for whatever you desire (ie. OS install), by default, it is configured as an ExpressCache to assist in a quick boot config, as well as to launch frequently used programs faster. And it actually is pretty impressive in my experience with it, very nice feature. But I think your point is that you can swap virtually any drive for a hybrid drive to achieve the same type of performance...which is true. As far as the gpus, the 4000 out performing the 6490 is debatable. Especially with the varying versions of the chips. The 1GB GDDR5 6490 does out perform the 4000 slightly. But the 1GB version is not commonly used in notebooks. It also depends on what performance aspect we are talking about (i.e., gaming, aero, video playback, etc). Benchmark scores also vary between the two. The 4000 has higher BM scores in some tests, and vice versa. Apple products hold their value better than just about any other electronic...but this isn't because of performance. Build quality and design of the mac line are definitely surperior to majority of windows PCs, no doubt about that. And just as you said, not trying to make this an apple vs m$ debate here. I was only commenting on the statement that the MBP blows any windows ultrabook out of the water. You do make very valid points, I do recognize that ;)