Does the Jailbreak ever completely go away?

Options
ach
ach Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Jailbreak Forum
Hi all,

I recently upgraded to the 5.1.1 jailbreak (from 4.3) and noticed something weird. When I re-installed the 5 Icon Springboard package, all my folders/apps went back to the way they were when I was jailbroken on 4.3. This makes me wonder what remained on the phone/itunes about my previous jailbreak. Its retained my folder structure even through a software upgrade, reset/erase all settings and jailbreak.

I also think that the HD Retina theme for SB settings was retained but maybe that came with the package. I dont know.

Where would this information be retained? Does this mean that some modifications always remain on the phone or itunes backup?

Thanks
Post edited by iPhoneHacks on

Answers

• Propain111
    Propain111 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have noticed this too. Not sure if it's in the backup in iTunes which is where i think its at or something to do with Cydia or somewhere on the phones system itself.
  • ach
    Options
    Thanks Propain,

Either way, it doesn't seem like you can totally remove the jailbreak.

• Freddieboy217
    Options
    I have noticed this too. Not sure if it's in the backup in iTunes which is where i think its at or something to do with Cydia or somewhere on the phones system itself.
    I think you are right about the back up to itunes on your PC I always jailbroke on my PC but always restored on my laptop which I had never jailbroken on because there was always some remnant of the jailbreak there, but no problems restoring on laptop
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yup, the information is stored in backup. Not sure if it's backup to to iCloud as well (that is, if you have that option enabled)

To do clean up your phone, you can go to itunes, click shift+restore and then point it to the ipsw file. You should not restore from back up.

But it'll be interesting if this information is backed up to iCloud as well. On the one hand, you could have settings synced across multiple iOS devices, and on the other Apple might come to know about this.
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2012 Answer ✓
    Options
    As @Rounak mentioned, you should be fine if you do a clean restore and setup it as a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch rather than backing up from iCloud or iTunes.

The information would be definitely be backed up in iCloud, but since backups are tied to a device, you won't have settings synced across multiple iOS devices (and also in this case as you have explicitly told iCloud or iTunes to treat it as a new device).
  • ach
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys.
  • JIA
    JIA Posts: 6
    Options
    That's what I noticed too. The battery % is not enabled by default on the iPod Touch. Once I restore from a jailbroken back up, the % comes back, although its not jailbroken.

Only thing is to set up as a new device :)