iOS 6 Feature: All New Maps App With Turn-by-Turn Navigation, 3D Flyover, Real-Time Traffic Informat

System
System Posts: 446
edited June 2012 in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiOS 6 Feature: All New Maps App With Turn-by-Turn Navigation, 3D Flyover, Real-Time Traffic Information

Apple finally made the switch to its in-house mapping service in iOS 6, replacing Google's database that powered earlier versions of the Maps app. The app,...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Does anyone know if the maps for ios6 will be stored locally? I'd hate to have these maps stream down via cellular every time I pull it up. I've been using the TomTom app, but if the ios6 turn by turn works well and doesn't require us to stream map data down, I'll definitely use it over TomTom.
  • xtremee
    xtremee Posts: 33
    It looks quite impressive and as a bonus we will also get Google Maps app.
  • maverick99
    maverick99 Posts: 22
    edited June 2012
    I am going to use this over Google Maps any day as I'm pissed with Google for deciding to release the maps app only after it realized Apple was going to launch its own Maps app in iOS 6. They just lost a loyal Google Maps user.

Let's hope it serves as a lesson for Google to put users first rather than trying to keep features away from users because it could get a upper hand on iOS.

• iJohn
    iJohn Posts: 41
    Does anyone know if the maps for ios6 will be stored locally? I'd hate to have these maps stream down via cellular every time I pull it up. I've been using the TomTom app, but if the ios6 turn by turn works well and doesn't require us to stream map data down, I'll definitely use it over TomTom.
    I tested out direction on my iPad 2 running iOS6 with no sim card. I was able follow the 15 minute route to work without any data. The map stayed current throughout the trip and I had voice turn-by-turn directions. That being said, data is required to do any searches, I did not test the rerouting by stray from the route and my route was relatively short. I've tested out Siri directions on my iPhone 4s and found it works very well, for the most part (I started on a trip to a grocery store in LA from Colorado), and will automatically start a route if you ask correctly (very useful while you're driving and need directions).
  • Louis
    Louis Posts: 3
    I think the new Apple maps looks great but there is nothing like Googles' Street View. I depend on Street view to do my job.
  • It's not an apple app it's a Tom Tom app they will be fighting with tomtom within 5 years or in court with them for some sort of copyright ****
  • 11_11
    11_11 Posts: 13
    If there is no integrated public transit information, this will be useless to me (and every person I know).

I'm also hoping there's a Cydia tweak to allow fly-over and turn by turn on the iPhone 4. Like FT over cellular, this reeks of an artificial limitation imposed by Apple.
  • CharlieC
    CharlieC Posts: 3
    No iPhone4 turn by turn directions is a huge disappointment for me!
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    I am going to use this over Google Maps any day as I'm pissed with Google for deciding to release the maps app only after it realized Apple was going to launch its own Maps app in iOS 6. They just lost a loyal Google Maps user.

Let's hope it serves as a lesson for Google to put users first rather than trying to keep features away from users because it could get a upper hand on iOS.

I'm guessing Google thought of the Maps app in iOS 5 and below as a Google Maps client, which isn't really wrong. It was Google's data that was being shown after all. Only once they knew their contract with Apple was coming to an end did it make sense for them to build their own mapping app.

Besides if Google had released the maps app earlier, while they were still the mapping providers on iOS, it wouldn't have gone well with Apple. Not saying that it would go well with Apple now, no one knows that, but I don't think Apple would block a third party map provider from entering the App Store. (Bing is already there.)

So it wasn't as if Google was completely ignoring the iOS sector (they didn't bring turn by turn, so that is ignoring), as much as the slow updating process of the Maps app. Since the app is bundled with the OS and not downloadable from the App Store, to even include a tiny little feature, Apple and Google would have to wait for an OS upgrade. If I remember correctly, Street View also took a long time to come to the iOS app, presumably for the exact same reason.

This is of course not known publicly, might even be possible that Google kept a few features exclusive to Android, but you've got to give it the benefit of doubt.

Also, after the pretty good Google+ update, I'm hoping Google's maps app would also be good. Forget that, I just hope it's not a fancy WebView wrapper.
  • maverick99
    maverick99 Posts: 22
    edited June 2012
    @Rounak I don't agree ... you're giving Google the benefit of the doubt that they don't deserve. If you refer to the WSJ article - http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052702304543904577398502695522974-lMyQjAxMTAyMDAwNDEwNDQyWj.html, Apple was not happy with Google as they initially resisted even bringing Street view to iOS and then refused to bring turn-by-turn navigation. The features could have easily been part of a minor iOS software update so I don't buy that reason. It is quite obvious they didn't want to, so I hope they pay a price for it or learn a lesson to put users first.
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    It's not an apple app it's a Tom Tom app they will be fighting with tomtom within 5 years or in court with them for some sort of copyright ****
    Apple is just using the TomTom's mapping data, features such as 3D Flyover are not available in TomTom's app nor does it have such a slick UI.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    @Rounak agree with @maverick99 but guess there is no point discussing the past. We should be happy that both Apple and Google are now going to fight against each other to bring the best Maps to iOS, that is something that we're really looking forward to.
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    Whoops, never knew Google would shoot itself in the foot like this.