Microsoft Announces New 10.6-Inch ‘Surface’ Tablets Running Windows 8

System
System Posts: 446
edited June 2012 in iPhoneHacks.com
imageMicrosoft Announces New 10.6-Inch ‘Surface’ Tablets Running Windows 8

As rumored, Microsoft has unveiled its own tablets called Microsoft Surface to take on Apple's iPad and other Android-based tablets at today's media event....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Apple falling behind again. I'm getting a little tired I pay good money for apple products and all I see is them falling behind the others. I know the apple puppets will jump all over me again. Just open your eyes stop following blindly like your in a cult........
  • 11_11
    11_11 Posts: 13
    Wow. As much as I like the idea of a glorified iPhone like the iPad, this seems more like a real computer too. I need to replace my laptop soon (6 year old Dell) and I'd like a tablet, so with this I could get two birds stoned with one rock. :D

The deciding factor will be if Windows 8 is a disaster or not...
  • Ronald
    Ronald Posts: 1
    Not bad!!!
    Considering so i can play pokerstars and d/l torrents on the go!!!
  • Apple falling behind again. I'm getting a little tired I pay good money for apple products and all I see is them falling behind the others. I know the apple puppets will jump all over me again. Just open your eyes stop following blindly like your in a cult........
    And how in the hell does this show apple falling behind? Have you used the surface? Do you know the hardware specs? Is it clearly an improvement on the iPad? I'll answer all three of those questions for you - NO. Jesus man instead of griping about stuff you clearly no longer wish to buy or own, go and get something you are happy with and get on with your life.
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 8
    Really, interesting ~ I will willing to exchange my iPad 3Gen to Surface if it can support longer than 6 hours runtime
    And how in the hell does this show apple falling behind? Have you used the surface? Do you know the hardware specs? Is it clearly an improvement on the iPad? I'll answer all three of those questions for you - NO. Jesus man instead of griping about stuff you clearly no longer wish to buy or own, go and get something you are happy with and get on with your life.
    I am as the new iOS has nothing I didn't have from a jailbreak. Which as fun as jail breaking was its a pain in the ass all the things people are excited about are already on android. And now Microsoft has a real computer "tablet" which is real world computer not an oversized iPod which would mean if u play games. Like could play maybe role playing games which are the most popular. I could use it for my business. You need to wake up and stop being a robot who follows blindly. Want some apple kool aid? iOS is stable cause u can't do anything with it. After you jailbreak it does become unstable a bit thats why apple don't want it. As far as apple stopping jailbreak they let us jailbreak for a week then patch it they are not stopping us they are patching the hole so u don't get a virus. YES iOS can be attacked that's why they send ont updates like on MacBook pro

• tsssssnye
    tsssssnye Posts: 6
    edited June 2012
    The concept is nice. Totally agree with:
    I might add:
    * specs will be quite important as doing "PC work" on a tablet will put the hardware to the test.
    * couldn't help but notice how BORING Microsoft presentations are... Definitely one thing they need to improve in order to copy how Apple does the whole 'brandwashing' more closely.
  • The concept is nice. Totally agree with:
    I might add:
    * specs will be quite important as doing "PC work" on a tablet will put the hardware to the test.
    * couldn't help but notice how BORING Microsoft presentations are... Definitely one thing they need to improve in order to copy how Apple does the whole 'brandwashing' more closely.
    I agree as well. I never really thought apple was that good at presentation either but they have the kool aid everyone wants to drink.
  • Lol e
    Lol e Posts: 10
    I wouldn't say Apple are falling behind, Apple are renowned for pushing things forward. Finally Microsoft are getting their act together and catching up more like. Yeah androids open systems obviously has *more features* but when apple do finally implement them they do it properly with stable builds. When I use a device i want it to work quickly and know it's not going to crash, that's why I personally support Apples closed OS, even if we do have to wait for some funtionalities.. I am hoping Windows 8 performs as well as it looks.. We'll see...
    Bravo!

In my VERY SHORT time here (maybe 3 weeks...) it has been GLARINGLY obvious that "Apple employee" is very much disgruntled. Or a troll.

He/she has done nothing but slam and slander Apple in every comment I have seen. I know these attention-needy types in real life: there are several on my 9 year-old sons baseball team...

On topic, this tablet looks awesome. Quite possibly the first LEGITIMATE iPad contender. It will be hard to put a dent in the "tablet=iPad" mindset that Apple has created, but at least MicroSoft took their time and really attacked the iPads few weak spots. USB is a pretty big deal for a LOT of people, and for good reason. That alone will carry a lot of weight for some looking to buy their first tablet.

The covers are REALLY cool if they work as well as claimed. Apple will definitely be ripping that idea off! LOL

• 11_11
    11_11 Posts: 13
    The concept is nice. Totally agree with:
    I might add:
    Pretty sure I saw the specs, on this exact page. Core i5 3.1gHz lots of RAM, USB 3.0 etc, not sure where they disappeared too, but the specs seemed more than adequate.

I'd only really be interested in the version that has the intel i5 and runs Win8 Pro so I can run all my existing software, as I'm not holding my breath waiting for custom software for the Surface and for MS to catch up with an ecosystem like Apple's App Store.

Btw eat Crow Tim Cook, here's your "Toaster converged with a refrigerator" and it's both HOT and COOL.

Seriously though MS, ditch Steve "Developers, Developers Developers" Ballmer as your pitch man, he could make anything seems creepy and scary...
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 13
    I still don't understand why the iPad isn't running a mobile version of OSx
  • Brian
    Brian Posts: 13

Seriously though MS, ditch Steve "Developers, Developers Developers" Ballmer as your pitch man, he could make anything seems creepy and scary...
    I bet he's got a red dot on his house.
  • it looks impressive, I like the cover/keyboard.. but i was laughing at the video when he launched explorer (13:37) and it locked up..he tries to cover for a while and hit the home button, but finally gives up and has to get a new one (14:25)..classic
  • Cydiahelpsux
    Cydiahelpsux Posts: 72
    edited June 2012
    Apple falling behind again. I'm getting a little tired I pay good money for apple products and all I see is them falling behind the others. I know the apple puppets will jump all over me again. Just open your eyes stop following blindly like your in a cult........
    I am as the new iOS has nothing I didn't have from a jailbreak. Which as fun as jail breaking was its a pain in the ass all the things people are excited about are already on android. And now Microsoft has a real computer "tablet" which is real world computer not an oversized iPod which would mean if u play games. Like could play maybe role playing games which are the most popular. I could use it for my business. You need to wake up and stop being a robot who follows blindly. Want some apple kool aid? iOS is stable cause u can't do anything with it. After you jailbreak it does become unstable a bit thats why apple don't want it. As far as apple stopping jailbreak they let us jailbreak for a week then patch it they are not stopping us they are patching the hole so u don't get a virus. YES iOS can be attacked that's why they send ont updates like on MacBook pro

What THE F*CK are you on about? You rattle on about jailbreak, IOS stability, being a robot etc etc. Did I mention ANY of this in my post? What exactly was your reply referring to? I own an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. I use them how they were meant to be used. For gaming I use a powerful WINDOWS desktop, because apple hardware is, quite frankly, SH*T for gaming. You're not talking to some macfag fanboy here mate. You are obvioulsy very anti-apple, and as such I've no clue why you post here, the troll factor maybe? The surface is going to be appalling at gaming, so be warned before you buy it then start to troll MS blogs with your rants. Have you tried Windows 8? Probably the biggest MS f*ckup since Windows ME. "and now microsoft has a real computer tablet" really??? Ever heard of the Samsung slate? HP slate 2? Been available for months. Microsoft jump on yet another doomed bandwagon. Zune anyone?

• shawn7
    shawn7 Posts: 8
    Apple falling behind again. I'm getting a little tired I pay good money for apple products and all I see is them falling behind the others. I know the apple puppets will jump all over me again. Just open your eyes stop following blindly like your in a cult........
    What do you mean they are falling behind... Apple is the best tablet maker in the world. obviously Microsoft took ideas from other competitors to make this up.

Apple made 3 tablets, each having major improvements, then Microsoft releases a product with same features at once, and you say apple falling behind?

Compare apple iPad3 to Microsoft Surface, iPad3 is still better.