Truphone VoIP iPhone App Now Allows you to Make Cheap International Calls over GSM Network, Without

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageTruphone VoIP iPhone App Now Allows you to Make Cheap International Calls over GSM Network, Without Wi-Fi

You might know by now that one of the limitations of VoIP iPhone apps like Fring, Truphone that are currently available on the App Store can only make VoIP calls over Wi-Fi. Truphone has just released an updated version of their iPhone app with two interesting new features which will...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Rl
    Rl Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

This app (and the Truphone service) sucks. It makes it sound like it's free VoIP over wi-fi and it's not, it's only free to other Truphone users (even in US). And the worse part about it is that I can't delete my Truphone account (not the app from the iphone, just the actual account). I had to contact tech support at Truphone to ask how to delete account and am still waiting for an answer back (same day so far, will keep you all updated though).

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Doesn't ATT get mad about Apple approving apps like this? I always thought ATT had a strong influence on what apps are approved... Anyone know about how much international calls cost via ATT?

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

Two corrections:

1. You can enable fring Skype calls over cell network using the mobile substrate library VoIPover3G on jailbroken phones.
    2. I have no problem receiving Skype calls on the iPhone (over wireless or 3G).

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@RL,

I don't think there are any VOIP apps that allow you to make free VoIP calls, even Skype allows you to make calls to other Skype account and you need to pay for calls to mobile phones and landlines.

However, it will be nice to see Skype launching their own iPhone app as they have 30 million customers so its easier to find your friend online on it than Truphone which has not reached the critical mass.

@Josh,

That is an interesting point, that thought occurred to me as well while I was writing the post.

I think the app got approved as it does not make VoIP calls using the data network. However, you never know, it can always be removed.

To answer your other question, based on this link:
    http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-0017YS-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

It looks like if you are making an call from US to someone in UK, AT&T charges:
    $1.49 to a landline
    $1.69 to a mobile phone

It gets a lot cheaper if you sign up for AT&T World Connect.

If you compare that with Truphone:
    $0.06 to a landline
    $0.30 to a mobile phone

and also add the cost of the domestic call if you are using it on the GSM network.

@scott,

Thanks for that tip.

cheers!

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

Fring CAN receive VOIP calls. I use Gizmo and Grandcentral to place free VOIP calls with Fring fairly often. Call quality is acceptable, but not as good as a standard cell call.

• jch
    jch Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

@iPhoneHacks,

cell reception in my house is terrible; is there a way for friends to dial my traditional cell number or my grandcentral number and have that call routed through wifi. i know iCall will be able to do this but I'm not in the beta.

• Majid malakouti
    Majid malakouti Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

This is very bad service.Always no conection and they charge me for call weiting and it is very expensive.

• agenda893
    agenda893 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

A friend of mine gave me his old first generation iphone and I set it up with SIAX for use with my gizmo account. It all works great, free incoming calls, cheap outgoing calls with customizable caller id info - what more could you want with no recurring monthly charges. Also - why does fring have so much delay - i liked the idea of my IMing and VoIP stuff being in one place but the latency issues are a deal breaker.

• Atef
    Atef Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hello, we have just released a free iPhone app to be available tommorow on App Store: flipContact ! Remember the IR Beam to exchange contact details between phones ? flipContact allows you to do the same direct exchange, but using the iPhone audio interface and a good old modem. Cannot be simpler. Please visit our site and check out the application, we would be happy to hear from you !atef
    http://www.appshelves.com/en/index.html