New version of iPhone to Use Quad-Core Processors?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageNew version of iPhone to Use Quad-Core Processors?

There is an interesting rumor emanating from Macworld 2009, both ZdNet and MacRumors are reporting that the iPhone 3.0 firmware will support quad-core processors. The firmware support for quad-core processors would be to support the upcoming iPhone hardware revision. In related news, Imagination Technologies will announce a new version of...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

Ok i do not know much about how good 412mhz is but how much is the mhz now and is this a big significance? Why is it that the ipod touch has more mhz then the iphone. I heard its faster but the touch is so small and i would think the iphone is faster cuz you know its the iphone =D. Lol is their any update on when this firmware will be released and would this hardware revision effect the software to the extent that i wouldnt be able to jailbreak my iphone?

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

I've heard the touch is faster, but nothing definite. Maybe it just has more power to run apps because it doesn't have to be a phone. An updated hardware would definitely be nice, as my EDGE iPhone is a little sluggish (although not much more so than my old Axim, or friend's Treo..., especially considering how many apps I have). I doubt it would affect a jailbreak any more than a regular firmware update would.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@Egypt and @Mike,

The 2nd generation iPod Touch is faster than the iPhone as we had reported here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/11/iphone-slower.html

it has a much faster processor running at 532MHz.

But it is speculated that iPhone also has a 532MHz but is underclocked to run at 412 MHz probably to improve battery life. I am guessing the 2nd iPod Touch has a better battery to handle a faster processor.

With regards to jailbreaking iPhone firmware 3.0 which is expected to be introduced along with the new version of the iPhone, it is too early to comment. But based on history, Apple will surely try to prevent it and stay ahead of the cat and mouse game with the iPhone hacking community.

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

Its funny how you said EGypt and Mike becuase Mike is my name and egypt is my nickname lol...anyways thanks for the response iphonehacks. Btw i have a few suggestions for the site that maybe you would take into consideration:

1. Mobile version of iphonehacks.com for faster loading and no adds compatible especially with the iphone. Im on the site all the time with my iphone =D.

2. Possible forum with registration and pm action =D

I think they would be great addition to the site and would attract more people to come xD.

~Egypt~

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

Off topic but did u guys hear about the new palm?!?!?!?!? its a freakin beast.3.1-inch 480 by 320 touch display (yes, with multitouch and an accelerometer), weighs in at 4.8 ounces, and comes with a curved, slide-out keypad. Yes, it does Wi-Fi and 3G (EV-DO Rev. A, to be exact), as well as GPS (with turn-by-turn directions courtesy of TeleNav), stereo Bluetooth, 8GB of internal storage, a 3MP camera, a 3.5mm headset jack, and a removable battery.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/32611

IT HAS WIRELESS CHARGING!!!!!!!!!!

I think we have a possible iphone killer.. =(

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@Eygpt,

I used both your real name and nick name based on the name in the comments.

Thanks for your feedback, we will definitely look into it.

We actually had a forum but we had to shut it down due to too much spam. We hope to relaunch it soon.

The new Palm looks quite interesting but I have my doubts if the WebOS will be as good as iPhone OS.

However, competition is always good for users, it will force Apple to innovate more aggressively though Apple does not usually wait for competition to innovate and todays news (though still a rumor) about the upcoming iPhone hardware revision and iPhone 3.0 are proof of that.

• dumpweed
    dumpweed Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

the ipod and iphone have the same processer but the the iphones is underclocked slightly more

• tony Mutti
    tony Mutti Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

If I remember correctly, both the iphone and ipod touch has this 620mhz ARM processor (http://www.arm.com/products/CPUs/ARM1176.html). The iPhone is probably underclocked to enhance battery life. The iPod touch doesn't have the blue tooth and cell radios; so it can run a bit faster without and keep similar battery life specs.

• Paul B.
    Paul B. Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Quad core iphone? Oh boy, here we go again. Iphone nano, 32gb iphone, nothing happened. Now, 4cores. What is the problem with the apple fan boys?

• dumpweed
    dumpweed Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

the ipod touch (2nd gen) does have bluetooth