Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Mac)

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn (Mac)

The iPhone Dev team released their much awaited software solution to unlock iPhone 3G couple of days back. However to install their yellowsn0w application to unlock iPhone 3G, you need to first jailbreak iPhone 3G. So here is a step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G using QuickPwn for Mac users....

Read the full story here

Comments

• huh ?
    huh ? Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

is the firmware listed as 2.2 5677 a type-o ?

Should this not be 5G77 ?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

The firmware version should be 2.2 5G77, thanks for highlighting the typo, we have corrected the error.

• theinc
    theinc Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Does this work on the "NEW" macs????

• Vasia
    Vasia Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have a problem with pwning my iPhone. It gets ok till 12. step.
    When I relise home button after last 10 sec. QuckPwn sims to start but in same second also starts iTunes and shows alert message as follows: "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconect the iPod, then try again. An unknown error occured (2001)."
    Meanwhile in QickPwn process doesen't go anywhere...I tried few times.

• Acculess
    Acculess Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I get exactly the same response:

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. An unknown error occurred (2001)" (or some variant).

I've got an intel iMac but have upgraded to the latest OSX (10.5.6) - I've heard that this may be a factor in the failure to get the iPhone recognised in DFU mode.

• tfish
    tfish Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

if you get the error message just unplug and replug iphone without taking it out of DFU mode. this method worked for me at least

• Joaquin
    Joaquin Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I am having the same problem as above ... I have the latest Itunes, system and an Intel Mac ... Any help or clue how to get my iphone on DFU mode so Quickpawn can work at that step ???

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

If you have upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5.6 (or using the new MacBooks) and facing a problem then it is because the latest update prevents your Mac from recognizing iPhone in DFU mode which is important to jailbreak iPhone 3G.

The Dev team had suggested possible fixes which they have noted that one should try at their own risk:

1. Use a USB hub in-between the DFU device and the Mac and insert/reinsert the iPhone’s USB cable. (recommended solution)

2. You can checkout the simple guide to re-enable DFU mode in Mac OS X 10.5.6 (but please proceed with caution as some readers have hit issues).
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/12/re-enable-dfu.html

We have updated the post with the relevant information.

• Brandon Authier
    Brandon Authier Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I am not finding the 2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw file anywhere in the folder that I downloaded from the first step. When I go to the dialog box to restore it is nowhere to be found. Can anyone help me??

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

Dear all,

Jailbreak ok, but phone has no signal to make a call.
    In the Settings menu, there is no option to choose a network provider.

Therefore it is not possible to download and install Yellowsn0w
    All other funcitons and apps work fine as long as no internet or network signal is neccessary.

Anyone had the same problem and found a solution yet?

Thanks, Paul

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

I just tried to jailbreak my iphone 3g but when I hold the home button for 10 sec. itunes opens and says a ipod cant be identified or something, then quickpwn doesnt load and says at the bottom "quickpwn is about to run on your iphone 3g" can i unplug the iphone while it says that

• Ivan
    Ivan Posts: 32
    via Wordpress

i just jailbreak my iphone 3g using this tutorial and it works fine, exept that the phone dosent work, when i press the phone icon the dial #'s come on to the screen for 2 sec and then go away it wont let me make any calls or see my favorites or anything. any idea why?????

• info@sybarite5.org
    via Wordpress

Can I jailbreak if I'm still running Leopard?

• info@sybarite5.org
    via Wordpress

Opps... I mean't if I'm still running OSX 10.4 (not Leopard)

• AnnaMan
    AnnaMan Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I hv latest Mac OS, latest iTunes. Same boat with some of you with iTunes poping up weird msg. After flashing the apple logo a bit, iTunes recognize it but only for a few seconds. The phone while connected kept vibrating once every 3 4 mins.

And about the insert/reinserting the cable, when should i do this?

Plz help, i'm really panicking :'(

• rk
    rk Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Any thoughts on using windows to jailbreak then going back to mac for unlocking to bypass the 10.5.6 problem?

• Billy Whizzer
    Billy Whizzer Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I followed all the instructions today and successfully Jailbroke my 3G Iphone using my Macbook air running OS X 10.5.6 and Itunes 8.0.2
    I also had the unrecognised ipod fault, but i followed the guidelines on using a usb hub, worked a treat. Also the post by AnnaMan regarding the Iphone just buzzing every so often, mine too but this was because i wasn't using a powered hub and there was not enough power to show charge the phone.

• Billy Whizzer
    Billy Whizzer Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Use a powered usb hub inbetween the iphone and the mac

• dave d
    dave d Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i need help here. i have downloaded thehttp://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPhone/061-5778.20081120.Aqw4R/iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw.
    it is a zip file. it explodes into several files / folders. i have tried to run the .dmg. all to no luck. could someone help me here

• Vanessa
    Vanessa Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I keep on getting an error message that says "sry, i haz Fail!" with an image of a kitten in a cup.

• .@.com
    .@.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

dont use safari when ur downloading it.. use firefox..

• Evan
    Evan Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

by "powered usb hub" do you mean a separate device to connect through, or on of the hubs on the back as opposed to one of the ones on the keyboard or something?

i would very much like to jailbreak my iphone, but i'm afraid i don't quite know what you mean

• Emmanouil Petrellis
    via Wordpress

Hello guys,

I have a problem downloading the file for mac. It stops at 23.2 MB of the 24.8 MB... Does somebody else have the same problem?

• shai
    shai Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Hi guys,
    I have a strange slight problem, please advise. I have a 3g 16g iphone v2.0.2 (jailbroken) & a mac 10.5.5. Successfully downloaded iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.zip & unzipped it. BUT mac's not opening the file or any files in the directory, the 'open' button's blurred.

How do i proceed, need your installer for much needed additional t/party apps.

• shai
    shai Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Sorry i meant the iTunes not opening any files during Restore, thx
    shai

• samuel.rees@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I am using a USB hub, all my firmware and versions are in check, I got it to send the file over and the progress bar hit the end. However, it has been 12 minutes with a completed bar and an iphone with just a white screen and nothing else is appearing in the log. What should I do?

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

Dear all,

Jailbreak worked, and all applications, syncing etc work. However, phone has no signal to make a call. The sim card still works in my old phone, but not in the iphone. Before jainbreaking it did work.

In the Settings menu, there is no option to choose a network provider.

Anyone had the same problem and found a solution yet?

Ta

Byron

• Casey
    Casey Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I keep getting a sry I haz fal! With a cat. What can I do to make this work

• dcedcdcd
    dcedcdcd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I got the same respone. Just accept. If it doesn´t load, use a windows computer. f you have version 10.5.6 in mac it will mnot recognize the iphone

• Charlie
    Charlie Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Just thought I'd let people know that I just did this, and it worked, I'm running 10.5.6 though? Maybe it works now in the latest QuickPWN.

Thanks for this quick guide!