VOiPover3G - Hack Allows iPhone Users to Make VOiP Calls over 3G/EDGE/GPRS

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageVOiPover3G - Hack Allows iPhone Users to Make VOiP Calls over 3G/EDGE/GPRS

One of the limitations of VOiP iPhone apps such as Fring and Truphone that are available on the App Store is that you can make VOiP calls only over Wi-Fi and not over the your iPhone's data connection. This is due to limitation of Apple's iPhone SDK which was most...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I would like to use it but I cant see myself spending money for VOIP provider. When VOIP becomes available for free then I will use that feature.

• evilhomer
    evilhomer Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Skype *is* free. www.skype.com

• Awayze
    Awayze Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

This never worked for me or anyone on iClarified.

• Berthold
    Berthold Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

This is probably the most useless application ever! Who would bother to make VOIP calls over a mobile phone, if mobile voice-flatrates are all around? Only use I could see is for calls when roaming outside your carrier's area/country. But then, cost of data-connections abroad is still pohibitive, so simple 3G-voice calls may still be cheaper than calling 3G/VOIP.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Berthold,

I think its a matter of perspective.

One of the most common uses of VOiP is to make cheap international calls.

Excerpts from Ebay's quarterly results which gives Skype's numbers:

- saw SkypeOut minutes go to 2.6 billion from 2.2 billion in the third quarter of 2008.
    - saw Skype-to-Skype minutes go to 20.5 billion from 16.5 billion in the third quarter of 2008.

The flat rates that you have mentioned only applies to local and national calls but not to international calls.

So VOiPover3G which allows you to use apps like Fring over iPhone's data connection to make Skye calls might be worthless if you don't make too many international calls, but could be quite useful if you do as in most cases the international calls from mobile phones are a lot more expensive then Skype.

• se23
    se23 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

would this work for bbc iplayer?

• MardeeT
    MardeeT Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Ok, Hello? This is a great App! This will allow me to make a lot of calls I normally make over VOIP FREE and not use minutes. How? I run a TrixBox server at home. That is basically the old Asterix Linux based IVR system. This way I can link up to my server over data lines on my Iphone, get an IP from my server, and use it to make free VOIP calls. My restriction to this working earlier was the Apps limits of having to be on a Wifi network. Maddening!! But I can see why the carriers required it. Just for this reason I am doing. In case you are interested, research trixbox out there. You do need to purchase a special hardware box that can convert your phone signal at home to SIP. I found a Linksys one for like $50, but there are cheaper ones. Overall it's cheap and a great way around using minutes and buying a pricey unlimited plan. I spend $60 a month on my phone bill for only 500 minutes. $20 of that bill is the Iphone charge on AT&T.

Food for thought.. but a great APP!!

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 87
    via Wordpress

It didn't work for me, still get the same message , Fring calls only available on WiFi.

Any ideas ?

• Phil
    via Wordpress

now it worked, sorry it was my mistake

• not berthold
    not berthold Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

To get it to work I needed to install winterboard which took care of a few problems. It is a freaking great app - international calls while I drive to work for 2 cents a minute!!!! Berthold - if you don't like it just keep your mouth shut - it is an extremely useful app.

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

i just sold my iphone because it was too expensive. Now i am really sad ...this was the missing app i needed to make my Iphone Perfect. Whoever said this app was useless is a moron.

• TeddyBearNeil
    TeddyBearNeil Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Phil,

I installed VOiPover3G and I have Fring on my iPhone 3G. I am not able to make any calls other than Cellular Calls at this time. Am I doing something wrong? Can you explain Step by Step in detail how I can make it work?

Cheers

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey TeddyBearNeil,

One of our readers has commented that he had to install Winterboard via Cydia to get it to work.

I am not sure what's the connection but there is no harm in trying. I am guessing it is something to do with the backgrounder app.

Let us know if it helps.

• TeddyBearNeil
    TeddyBearNeil Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

iPhoneHacks,

I searched on Cydia for Winterboard and could not find it. Any suggestions?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Teddy,

I don't think you need to install WinterBoard.

I just upgraded to firmware 2.2.1 so had to reinstall the jailbreak apps and I got VOiPOver3G to work without installing WinterBoard (thought of checking out the dependency).

You can try installing Backgrounder via Cydia to see if it helps solve your problem.

I had installed Lockdown via Cydia not sure if it installs Backgrounder as well.

Let me know if it helps.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

You need to reinstall VOiPover3G again via Cydia.

• Neil
    Neil Posts: 46
    via Wordpress

Yeah I did insall VOiPover3G again via Cydia after I Jailbroke 2.2.1. Here is a link that I could not make sense of, but maybe you could understand this better and help me out..

http://www.zakeh.com/2008/11/04/free-skype-calls-over-3gedge-on-your-iphone/

• Neil
    via Wordpress

I was finally able to make Skypeout Calls using my WiFi!! The reason the calls were being terminated before was that I was not using the +1 prefix to call out. But when I tried to make the same call via 3G, it said only WiFi Calls are allowed!! So, I still need help from ya Geniuses!!

• Neil
    via Wordpress

Phil, can you help me out? I am not able to call via 3G, it said only WiFi Calls are allowed!! Does this link make any sense to you? http://www.zakeh.com/2008/11/04/free-skype-calls-over-3gedge-on-your-iphone/

Can you post a step-by-step help to make this work?

• Jax
    Jax Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

do you need to pay to get this VoIP app?

• is importan to trick apps for 3g if for expample i want i can talk for free on 3g internet whit a friend whit skype on a mobile or also talk to a person on msn please try nimbuzz messenegr it rocks : msn, facebook, yahoo, googletalk, Skype, myspace everithing.

• Dirk
    Dirk Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

hey guys, i installed VoipOver3G and yes it works... I've been able to make SkypeOut calls over my 3G cellular network.. However, is it me, or does this app cause issues connecting for certain other apps. For example, sometimes I get issues signing into Nimbuzz... it says connection not found, even if I am siting in a Wifi hotspot, or if 3G is available. To get around this I have to open other apps like Pandora to initiate a connection, then try Nimbuzz again and it finally connects. Another app that seems to have been affected is WeatherBug... it seems to constantly not be able to find a connection, and the only way to fix it is to restart my phone. Anybody else experience this?

• Phil
    via Wordpress

hello TeddyBearNeil,

Sorry wasn't checking the forum lately, i installed Winterboard via Cydia and this is how i get it to work.

• Phil
    via Wordpress

I now try to trick Nimbuzz but i tells me that i am not on WiFi and dont know how to edit the file :
    /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/VoIPover3G.plist3
    Any idea ?

• maniack
    maniack Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

TeddyBearNeil,

Its probably because you set the Cydia setting to USER MODE.

Try to set it to HACKER MODE and you should see winterboard.

• Georg
    Georg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm experiencing something similar with you Dirk. I used voipover3g successfully with Fring to make skype and skype-out calls over 3g. I also used backgrounder to keep Fring active on the background. This worked almost seamlessly when wifi was deactivated. When wifi was activated I noticed that skype was logging out on Fring. I thought this is because of a loss of signal on the transient between 3g to wifi. Then I tried Nimbuzz and it also worked over 3g, but to my surprise it didn't work when I activated wifi. I tried to reboot and start with wifi and it works but then it won't work over 3g! Is this something that has to do with the voipover3g hack? Is there a way to make it work on both 3g and wifi with an automatic transition between the 2 or not? For now the way I found in order to keep nimbuzz constantly on (in the background) is to deactivate the wifi.

• Olliver
    Olliver Posts: 22
    via Wordpress

anyone managed to use Skype over 3G with Voipover3G or another app?

• Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress

You are forced into the $30/month all you can eat data plan, but now you can turn down your minutes to the minimum and drop your monthly dill from over $100 down to $70

• Shirley
    Shirley Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

How can I install Skype w/o using Apple? Can this be done? I have an unlocked phone.

• sannes
    sannes Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have family in other countries, and it is great. VoipDiscount and VoipCheap are a BIG help and amazing on the mobile!

Saves us all a lot of money! VoipDiscount gives you 300FREE minutes, VoipCheap 90 days.

Makes my momma happy!