ClearCam Turns your iPhone's 2-Megapixel Camera into a 4-Megapixel Camera

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageClearCam Turns your iPhone's 2-Megapixel Camera into a 4-Megapixel Camera

We have already seen jailbreak apps such as Cycorder which brought video recording and Snapture which brought professional features such as Digital zoom, delay timer etc to iPhone's very basic camera app. ClearCam is the latest iPhone app which is set to add more zing (actually megapixels) to your iPhone's...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jonny H
    Jonny H Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
  • InSovietRussiaPhoneEyesYou
    via Wordpress

Its a neat app but its kinda buggy. Tends to crash a fair bit. Plus the difference between an enhanced shot and a regular shot is a bit too subtle for me.
    Looking forward to seeing what updates bring to it though.

• booger@yahoo.com
    booger@yahoo.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

THIS DAM APP SUCKS ASS BIG TIME!!!!

• Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress

Quickcam takes 4 photos, not six ;)

• jrpowers
    jrpowers Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Right -- QuickShot takes 4 images in ~2 seconds. Also important to note that QuickShot picks the sharpest image by itself and saves immediately. We found that at least one of four is almost always clear despite normal jitter when you try to hold still.

Test QuickShot out by rapidly shaking the phone after it takes the first photo -- it should pick the first. Or, rapidly shake it for the first two and hold still for the last ones -- it should pick 3 or 4.

• A Black Dude
    A Black Dude Posts: 167
    via Wordpress

......not worth 10 dollars

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for stopping by and providing more details about the Quickshot feature.

We have updated the post.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Thanks Michael for highlighting the error. We have updated the post.

• A White Dude
    A White Dude Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

agreed , total waste of 10 dollars

• seminolejohn
    seminolejohn Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Outstanding app. It took me about 30 seconds of testing clearcm to decide to delete Snapture. I do wish there was a zoom, but scaling the full pix works well.

• PRESIDENT OBAMA
    PRESIDENT OBAMA Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Chris Pratt
    Chris Pratt Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Interesting app. I might pay the $9.99 for it from the App Store, but these companies charging for their apps that only work with jailbroken phones are insane. Apple could release an update tomorrow that finally kills the ability to jailbreak and you're just out of luck.

I've jailbroken my iPhone before and there's alot to be gained from the additional options that gives you. But come on, if you want to be paid for your app, go official. It might even be different if Apple had actually rejected their app, but they didn't even try - most likely because they didn't want to pay the $100 to become a developer. Fork up the front money, get it in the app store, and then you might get my $10. Otherwise, forget it.

• se23
    se23 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

crash crash crash, ive seen less crashes at banger racing

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with forking up money to Apple. We are presently in the Apple program and are trying to get this on the App Store. We, like Cycorder and Snapture, are bringing you features that aren't allowed due to SDK restrictions.

We have a choice: don't offer the technology to anybody, or offer it to jailbroken users and grandfather in everyone when the app store allows us to post this technology.

I just wanted you to be aware of our situation, and not think we're somehow cheapskates.

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

Can you give me some detail on the crashes you are experiencing so that we can try to rectify them in an update? We've already released an update that fixes some problems users experienced.

• Mr
    Mr Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

all I'm getting are full screen green photos no image. Tried to install 3 times. Please advice. Thanks.

• PRESIDENT OBAMA
    PRESIDENT OBAMA Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

OMG!!I GET THE SAME THING everytime!!!!

• Tj
    Tj Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

To jrpowers:

The app crashes mostly when I leave a wifi hotspot or enter one, and also if I (for whatever reason) switch between silent and normal modes with the switch on the side of the phone. Also, not that anyone would do this, but it crashed once when I rotated the phone 90 degrees between pictures on the normal mode. It hasn't repeated that crash though, so it may have been unrelated.

Other than that, it's a great app! I think you guys might be approached by some camera companies for coming up with the idea of using multiple shots to create a higher resolution composite image in the way you are, since optical sensors are reaching their upper limits and people will always want sharper pictures than what digital can provide.

One thing though.... PLEASE offer a stripped down version for less, like one that doesn't have the quickshot, or one that ONLY has quickshot... just something for those of us living paycheck to paycheck. And yes, even though I live paycheck to paycheck, I refuse to ever let go of my iPhone... it'd be like giving up my ****. :( I couldn't live without it.

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

Wait a second! There is absolutely a way to contact us -- an email listed plainly on the About page -- and we're very responsive.

We've also been scouring posts and forums to try to assist directly.

And here is some help:
    - Make sure you have 1.0.2. We rectified most of the "server trouble" errors with that build. If you still have problems, it may be due to a permissions problem on your Library folder. ClearCam is not running as root and can't fix permissions.

Please contact us if you still want to try ClearCam but can't.

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

One other general tip -- many Cydia apps also provide a link to support from within Cydia. that's another way to contact us.

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

If you are getting a green photo, this means there was a crash mid-capture that left the camera in an unstable condition. Unfortunately, the best solution is to simply reboot the phone in this case.

If this does not work, please contact support and we'll try to diagnose.

• jrpowers
    via Wordpress

Good idea with a stripped down version. We have other things to address first, but that might be a good strategy to open it up to more people.

The crashes you got are odd because we don't respond to any network events (like WiFi enter/leave) nor anything to do with the silent flip.

Crashes *during* capture are generally rare unless several background processes are using up most of the phone's memory.

• Mr
    via Wordpress

I understand the camera crashes, it disables it for other cam apps as well.
    I've restarted several times with no succes.

After reboot on the 1st try Clearcam will take the 4 shots of the quick mode then freeze on a black and white frame in shot #1.
    If you start in enhanced mode it would do the same but freeze on a b&w frame on shot #2.
    After you restart the App it would complete the shot procces but all resaults are a green frame.

Please advise. Thanks :)

• Mr
    via Wordpress

Yes the cam is crashing and this makes it unavailable to other cam apps as well. I've rebooted several times with same result.

On first launch the app will start the shooting process and then freeze on a b&w frame on the last shot. From that point anytime you restart the app it will not freeze but produce only green frames.

I have removed this app until a solution is found. Thanks :)

• Mr
    via Wordpress

Hi,

Yes, the cam crashes and becomes unavailable to all cam apps.

After a reboot on the 1st launch of your app it would start the shooting procces and FREEZE on the last frame (#1) showing a B&W frame.

After this freeze once the app is restarted -It would not freeze any more, but only green frames are produced.

Good luck troubleshooting this.

• Mr
    via Wordpress

Sorry - double post.

• Douglas Dolbeer
    Douglas Dolbeer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Overall I would say I'm satisfied with this application. However I'm not willing to fork over $10.00 for an application that essentially takes multiple photos at once. If you would incorporate date and time stamp to go along with this application, along with being able to tweak the photos, as well as zoom, I might change my mind. As of now, I don't see this application being worth the money!

• B'Ryan
    B'Ryan Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

give it for free..damn it

• B'Ryan
    B'Ryan Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

give it for free..damn it