BeejiveIM is Pricey But an Awesome Instant Messaging iPhone App

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageBeejiveIM is Pricey But an Awesome Instant Messaging iPhone App

BeejiveIM (pronounced bee-hive) is a feature rich instant messaging native client for the iPhone that keeps you connected with IM buddies on MSN/Windows Live, Yahoo, AIM/MobileMe, Google Talk, Jabber and MySpace while you're on-the-go. When I first saw the $15.99 price tag of BeejiveIM, I felt it was expensive especially...

Read the full story here

Comments

• yankii
    yankii Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

I am a messenger addict, I admit, but I aint crazy. Spending $15 on this is absolutely ridiculous... Im still hoping for an official Windows Live Messenger... (yes i know, thats even crazier than spending the $15 on Beejive LOL) but... meebo.com works fine for those occasions where Im mobile and really need it, and its free. I would consider buying it if it drops to $5...

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey yankii,

Thanks for your comment, I agree the high price will be a big factor for users.

Folks at Beejive had dropped the price to $12 during the holiday season but the fact that they have again increased the prices probably indicates that the price drop did not result in any significant increase in sales to justify keeping the prices lower.

So don't expect the prices to drop to $5 anytime soon.

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

I use this app, and I love it. I like how you get notified via email when you close the app, and the ability to stay logged in for up to 24 hours and still receive messages even when the application is closed. This keeps me busy at school and work.

• Jonny H
    Jonny H Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I won't be using any instant messaging apps until they are allowed to run in the background. That's all I really want in a IMing APP.

• JC
    JC Posts: 55
    via Wordpress

Nimbuzz... try that one. It includes skype and skype voice, too.

And... if you want it to work in the background, try to jailbreak your iphone and then use Backgrounder. It's just what you expect of a complete IM program.

• Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

I use IM+ from the apple app store, it is identical, including the push mail option and it only cost me £1.29! I use it for windows messenger, works a treat!

• Ted
    Ted Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

I also use IM+ does exactly the same thing and it is cheaper! They were the first one out with the email push. I don't see why they are higher then IM+ if they want people to go witht hem should be same or lower

• Ty Miles
    Ty Miles Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Bee Jive is the best and most reliable IM app on the app store and is worth the price in my opinion. The thing about it though is that it exsposes the flaws in the iPhone OS (The fact that it's really too heavy for phones)

Memory issues and hang ups happen way too often, not a product of the app its self but more so a product of the phone not being able to handle apps that have a lot of features.

I like IM plus also but its not as reliable as Bee Jive and doesn't look nearly as good. I have problems with IM+ connecting, I have problems with it reconnecting if you loose your 3G or 2G connection etc.

Also IM+ can't do things like show status on the contacts screen. (I can tell on Bee Jive when users are on their phones and not PC or when they are away or not etc)

I am STILL shocked that Apple didn't make iChat for the iPhone. Gurrrrrr.

• Xagest
    Xagest Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm sure it's a great IM client, but with the inability to background the application alongside its high price is a dealbreaker for me.

• steev anderson
    steev anderson Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

only problem is i have list of msn contacts on i deleted years ago how do i delete them off beejive you cant should be fixed

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Jonny,

I tend to agree, the inability to run instant messaging apps in the background as Xagest mentioned can be a deal breaker for some users.

However, if you have jailbroken your iPhone you can checkout Backgrounder which allows you to run apps in the background. More details available here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/10/backgrounder.html

But its safe to assume that running an app will drain your iPhone's battery life.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey jc,

Thanks, we will check out Nimbuzz and write about it if we find it better than BeejiveIM.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Xagest,

I tend to agree, it can be a deal breaker.

If you have jailbroken your iPhone you can checkout Backgrounder which allows you to run apps in the background. More details available here:
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2008/10/backgrounder.html

But its safe to assume that running an app will drain your iPhone's battery life.

• PennySeeds.com
    PennySeeds.com Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Looks very much like Pidgin - Which I have for my desktop, and is free. If they made a mobile version I'd definitely use it. The only complaint I have for that is they are lacking Skype IM.

• Scoza
    Scoza Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

A friend recommended me this app. I tried it out and love it since then...Although it's hard to justify paying almost $16 for it, I think it's worth my $. Just hope the guys behind BeejiveIM could release a new upgrade with Skype and voIP.

• Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress

is it possible to run iphone sms text messages through beejive alongside the aim facebook ect.....