Apple Approves latest version of Tweetie which was Rejected for a Ridiculous Reason Earlier [Updated

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Approves latest version of Tweetie which was Rejected for a Ridiculous Reason Earlier [Updated]

It has been ages, since we wrote about an iPhone app that was rejected, removed or banned by Apple from the App Store. However, I had to write about this one as it takes the cake. John Gruber of Daring Fireball just reported that Apple has rejected the latest version...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

HAHAA stupid apple thinks watchmen is a bad word LOL.
    (Im kidding)

• Orgg
    Orgg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

but I agree not to show the foul letter words in anywhere. they should try to filter out this kind of things before they can put this on app store....

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

If Apple is requiring that applications filter bad words, does that mean that the web browser should also be filtering bad words?

• ggalanis@comcast.net
    via Wordpress

KUDOS to Apple! F- Atebits!

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

High five to Jay for the awesome come back. I wonder what Apple has to say to that :)

• Kray-Z
    via Wordpress

Ok i dont know were to post this so hopefully this gets directed to the right place but i found an awesome video of the iphone controling a formula one car. I think you have covered it controling the R/C but not the real thing, (second half of the video) and i havent seen this video on your site, correct me if im wrong but here is the link to the video
    http://www.kontraband.com/videos/16478/Formula-Fun-Racing/

• Mr.Z
    Mr.Z Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

wow, this is pretty pathetic on apples part; I hope this gets corrected as im sure many many apps would fall in this category... there should be a clause that says "If content is user added/edited foul lang does not apply" Its not like there is any foul language in the coding of the program.

Overall make apple happy and put a setting in that allows you to filter out foul lang. That should please everybody.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Kray-Z,

You can always send us an email at admin@iphonehacks.com

Btw, the phone in the video is a Blackberry Storm and not an iPhone :( else I am sure we would have stumbled upon it.

As per this article:
    http://www.intomobile.com/2009/03/10/vodafone-and-mclaren-f1-team-up-to-produce-amazing-blackberry-storm-video.html

Vodafone and McLaren teamed up to create the viral video for Blackberry Storm.

Pretty cool!!!

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

Oh wow. Couldn't apple have... I don't know... Censored it themselves? I mean seriously...

Couldn't they have passed the app through but just omitted the screen shot?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Wired is reporting that Brichter, developer of Tweetie says he won't back down because Tweetie is not at fault.

"I will not censor anything in Tweetie," he twittered. "Resubmitting with the same binary now."

It will be interesting to see if he will be second time lucky.

I think its a stupid mistake and we will see the update on the App Store soon. What say folks?

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

I think that Apple is infringing on Freedom of Speech with such censorship.

One of the better examples to showcase apples very restrictive rules are displayed in the Craigsphone app.

Download the app and go to:
    Account < Adult Content Settings
    to see what I'm talking about.

If your too lazy to do so, these are a few of the locked options.

The option to enable/disable profane text is locked in the 'off' position.

The option to enable/disable mature pictures is locked in the 'off' position

Now if I were a parent I'd enjoy this, but the fact is, you should be able to lock/unlock these yourself and the preferences are able to be protected by a password so why such restriction?

Furthermore; it doesn't do much good to do this because if I really wanted to, I could just go to Craigslist through safari and not have to worry about app restrictions so why does apple continue to restrict an application?

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Sorry, I realize I got a little off topic because I believe we're discussing a screenshot that kept the app from the store but I just thought.

If apple really wants to be this way, why don't they go ahead and put these filters on safari? Heck, just go ahead and start building them into their PC's and Laptops. Its an exaggeration but it gets the point across.
    Why censor developer apps when their own browser can go... Untouched?

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

they should remove safari from the iphone because i use it to browse ****. that is simply unacceptable.

• geogo3r
    via Wordpress

Exactly my point. If they are going to censor applications which developers put a lot of effort into then why not censor their mobile browser? I mean, it's just stupid!

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

The problem with the approval process is that it is a manual process which is subjective so there are bound to be mistakes.

I think Apple needs to tighten the process a little bit as mistakes like these brings in a lot of bad publicity.

But tightening the process to prevent such mistakes would mean even more delays in the approval process.

• K
    K Posts: 44
    via Wordpress

LOL Egypt your hilarious

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Folks,

The good news is that Tweetie 1.3 has been approved by Apple after Loren Brichter resubmitted it using the same binary.

I have updated the post accordingly. Thanks for all your comments.

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

i dont understand did apple pass the update with or without the profanity?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

There was no profanity in the app as such, the foul word showed up in the
    trends feature.

So when the developer resubmitted it using the same binary, it was accepted
    (probably the fact that the foul word did not show up in the trend feature
    might have helped :) to some extent). I am sure the reaction it received
    across the blogosphere would have helped to some extent in pushing it
    through a lot faster.

• Kray-Z
    via Wordpress

ok, wow I feel like a dumba**.... uhh can I like delete that comment and act like I never posted it??? LOL so the Storm has an accelerometer?? I didnt know that but then again I dont care enought about it to keep up on other phones. Oh and thanks for the email address.