Cydia Developer Releases Cydia Store; Paid App Store for Jailbreak Apps [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageCydia Developer Releases Cydia Store; Paid App Store for Jailbreak Apps [Updated]

Jay Freeman (aka Saurik), developer of Cydia, the application management/installation package for jailbreak apps has announced plans to launch a paid app store called Cydia Store for jailbreak apps to directly compete with Apple's highly successful App Store. I was a little intrigued when Cydia was one of the names...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ybt
    ybt Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Cant wait to see the cydia store. Its the perfect idea, and just what we all need right now.

• Nour
    Nour Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

My iPhone is my property because I give 200 dollars to apple so why they want me to design my property the way they want!!!!!

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

cydia store is out and I have gotten the first app Cyntacts its pretty cool allows you to put a picture next to your contacts so if you gave your contacts a picture then that will show up next to their name on your contacts list

• Pdext
    Pdext Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Did you make the iphone nour?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey marcus,

Thanks for the tip, we have just updated the post.

Thanks again!!!

• AKW
    AKW Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just bought it it's really cool few steps involved to pay it, you can Sign in with facebook or gmail... Then you pay with amazon.

• Rich
    Rich Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

You really want to give some kid, a hacker to boot, access to your personal information ? Set up an acount like he is a respected and established business like Apple ?

Sorry I will pass and it looks like I will be unjailbreaking my iPhone today.

What was great about Jailbreaking was 99.9% of everything was FREE. Soon EVERYTHING is going to be pay. Dont see the sense in doing it any more.

• Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 38
    via Wordpress

umm so now we have got to pay for cydia apps? WHAT?! Rich is right, if cydia is gonna become paid then the App Store is a better choice as it has a way better choice of apps which r garunted to work. if i had to choose between cydia store and app store. i'd choose app store...i mean, duh!....also, making cydia paid this means another team of hackers will try to crack it just like wat happened wid the app store..anyway..think twice b4 u turn everything else into paid

• duluen
    duluen Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

all this dose is give developers a uniform easy way to get paid for thiere apps (that you would have had to pay for anyway). Its actually quite nice is you dont have to jump threw hoops to buy things anymore. I say HAZAAA!

Cydia, and for that matter jailbreaking was never about getting everything for free. Its about takeing control of your device and doing what you want with it. Some of your more complex and usefull apps take time to write and its perfectly resonable to have to pay for it. Which we have been doing for quite a while 100 differnt ways depending on teh software.

This just makes life easier. As for the comment about giveing your payment info to a "hacker", you are paying his account on amazon threw thier secure server... what do you not trust amazon now? geez

• Major
    Major Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

i agree 100 percent dude i think this is a bad idea and i dont trust buying anything from this store.

• AppleHacks&News
    via Wordpress

Hey,
    Most people think that the Cydia Store is going to turn all apps that are available to paid ones. They are not! Most of the apps will still be free. It's just the ones that have prety good features. There are some paid apps in Cydia all ready like Intelliscreen, iRealSMS etc. All these apps will now be transfered over to the Cydia Store. Before, the developers had their own way of payment, most of them were serial codes, but now Cydia Store takes care of it. The App Store is where you will be able to find games etc. Cydia Store will be where you can find apps that would never be allowed into the App Store. So apps that will modify official apps from Apple or applications that run along side the official Apple equivalent like the text app, iRealSMS and BiteSMS.
    Thanks George

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Though I had mentioned that Cydia Store is being launched to rival Apple's App Store. They will not be competing against each other in the true sense.

Let me explain:
    iPhone apps that are and will be distributed on Cydia are those which were or will not be approved by Apple.

We are unlikely to see an iPhone developer to release an iPhone on Cydia when he could have released it on the App Store. We will definitely not see an iPhone app available on both the App Store and Cydia Store. So you really can't compare them side by side.

As duluen and George (thanks folks) have rightly pointed out, by integrating payment processing in the new version of Cydia, Freeman is making it easier for users to buy apps which prior to this has been a hassle.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Rich,

Freeman has mentioned that he doesn't plan to sell apps like Cyntact in the future.

By integrating payment processing in the new version of Cydia, he is making it easier for users to buy paid jailbreak apps.

It would be foolish for developers to start selling all their iPhone apps because there is now an easy way to charge customers because at the end of the day, iPhone users will ultimately have the choice to decide if they want to buy it or not just like any other marketplace.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Some observations after buying Cyntact:

It was much easier to buy the jaibreak app. Its not as easy as the App Store but a lot easier than earlier.

Cydia Store has the same problem that the App Store has, it doesn't give iPhone users the ability to try the iPhone app before buying.

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

Thats why they have lite versions of apps. iPhone hacks just think about it: If everyone had the ability to try out a full app before they buy it, then some hackers will figure out how to extend that time frame so it could be used forever. Their is no point of trying to make a new system if its just going to get worked around. Take pwning the iphone for example: In every update, they make it harder to hack the iphone but the dev team still pull it off. Catch my drift?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Egypt,

You can't have lite version for all iPhone apps, a good example is apps like
    Frenzic. Developing a lite version of the iPhone app has its own overheads,
    I would prefer to see developers spending that time developing better apps.

• Hack apps are hack apps
    via Wordpress

I just unjialbroke my iPhone. Cydia has offered no support, and no response when I had a problem. The problem was with a photography app which screwed up my iPhone so I couldn't delete photos I took from my camera roll, and I couldn't add any photos either taken with the iPhone or captured from a website.

Sure, I want a bunch of people I never heard of who have no security getting access to my iPhone and then planting code that I can't work around without a complete restore.

• mp
    mp Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Greedy Greedy Greedy! Its interesting how the hackers ideals have turned around so quickly. Once it used to be about freeing the digital world, but I guess money can change minds! This whole Cydia Store is no different to pirates selling counterfeit DVD's and CD's, except its not pop media anymore which streams in the curency, its access to the punters who will trickle their pounds and pennies for mindless, useless software!

M

• MavereX
    MavereX Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Seriously, Are you guys paid by Apple or something?

• kenshin
    kenshin Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Lol! The ignorance! Im of course talking about some of the posters above me that don´t see the point of the cydia store. The point is NOT to rip anyone off nor is it to pirate stuff, all cydia store apps will be exclusive to the cydia store, like they have always be. they will have features that are restricted by apple so that these kind of apps will never appear in their official store, like camera apps, apps that run in background and combine functionality in new and unrestricted ways. They will not be "pirated" but exclusively developed for the iphone by serious developers that are tired of apples limitations, that want to offer something extra. Ant to allow these apps to be available and spread in a legal and efficient way, while at the same time making a bit of profit (to increase the incentive to actually put in the effort). Also the point is since this is clearly a legal and commercial idea, to put that extra bit of pressure on apple to either allow these kind of apps on their app store, or to loose profit due to their restrictions. Also to aid the EFF push with something commercially acceptable backing their argument that you should be able to do whatever you want with your own property without someone telling you its illegal!

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

This is an ok idea that will never become commercially viable. Most jailbroken apps are like 10$ or higher, like mewseek pro and others. While I suppo developers, they just seem too greedy thinking we have to pay since there's no other option. So while I agree we should help, honestly lower prices like the app store and we'll pay. But 6.99 to 10.00$ per app? Forget that.

• Burnok
    Burnok Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Rich.. you're right..

it is like ... buying a $2000 guitar.. and I put custom pick-ups on it, custom paint, whatever knick knack that i like...

Gibson or Fender does not tell you that it is illegal to put kluson tuning knobs on their guitar..? Or my own home made pick-ups...? So why will apple will say it is illegal for you to jailbreak your iphone..

Then now.. cydia is no longer free ...? what is the reason jailbraking your iphone in the first place..? to get out of the "ball & chain" by apple...

come on !! if you developers would like to be paid.. go to itunes instead...

burnok

• Ma
    Ma Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Doesn't he make money by the paid advertisers in the cydia store? I wouldn't mind paying either , but $2.00 would be the MAX I would ever think about paying on an app!

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress
    AwesomeCool The best