Amazon's Kindle iPhone App Brings Up-To-Date Publications to the iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAmazon's Kindle iPhone App Brings Up-To-Date Publications to the iPhone

So far we have seen some great iPhone apps such as Classics and Stanza which turn the iPhone into an ebook reader. Google had recently released an optimized version of Google Books for the iPhone. However, these iPhone apps had one problem, most of the books that were available via...

Read the full story here

Comments

• rez
    rez Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Not available on the UK Apps Store!?

What's with that!?

• Aman
    Aman Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
  • Gahsdfg
    Gahsdfg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

"What's with that!?"

I'll tell you what's with that - it's not on the UK Apps Store. I thought that was obvious?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Yeah, Amazon's Kindle iPhone app is currently available only on US App Store.

I am sure its copyright issues preventing them to launch it across all countries.

• alyx
    alyx Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Can you put your own (non-amazon) books or text in Kindle and read them? If not, then Stanza will still be my first choice of a bookreader. I regularly upload snippets of text, docs and ebooks to Stanza from my PC.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Alyx,

Amazon's Kindle App only supports Kindle books.

Good to know another reason why apps like Stanza will survive.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Amazon's iPhone app also includes Whispersync technology which is available on Kindle.

What does this means?

When you open an ebook on Kindle for iPhone, it will automatically take you to the page you might be at while reading the ebook on Kindle.

It's a brilliant feature and it would have been painful to read ebooks between your iPhone and Kindle without the Whispersync technology.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

http://www.iht.com/articles/2009/02/10/technology/kindle.4-427098.php

Article on why Kindle isn't available outside US which also explains why Kindle for iPhone is only available on the US App Store.

Excerpts from the article:

"Brian McBride, managing director of Amazon's British arm, said last autumn during an interview with a trade publication, The Bookseller, that one reason for the delay was the difficulty of reaching agreements with mobile operators to enable wireless downloading of books. In the United States that feature separates the Kindle from rival devices like the Sony Reader."

"Analysts say mobile operators in Europe, which are eager to generate new revenue from sales of "content" like books, may be holding out for a larger share of the proceeds of book sales than Amazon wants to give them."

• Lynn
    Lynn Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

You can upload your docs to Kindle and then sync for a cost of 10 cents.

• OperaGirlUSA
    OperaGirlUSA Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm really enjoying Kindle on my iphone- is there any way to organize my titles (example; book series' in order) on the iphone? It also doesn't scroll the title of books if they are longer than the display, so I am stuck guessing if I don't know the "number" in the series. Does that make sense? And can I order them myself? I couldn't find anything, so perhaps this is another feature that coming...

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

I doubt Amazon will ever sell books directly in the Kindle iPhone App since Apple wants a 30% cut of all sales.