xGPS v1.2 Released; Turns iPhone into a True GPS device with Turn-By-Turn Voice Navigation

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imagexGPS v1.2 Released; Turns iPhone into a True GPS device with Turn-By-Turn Voice Navigation

Xwaves has released the latest version of their iPhone app, xGPS (v1.2) which will turn your iPhone into a True GPS device by bringing turn-by-turn voice navigation. If someone hasn't jumped on to the iPhone hacking bandwagon then xGPS might have just given them a good reason to jailbreak their...

Read the full story here

Comments

• jhan
    jhan Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

the app works great but i noticed something that could be a bug, when downloading a map the app crashes after abot 7 to 10 percent, this has happened to me about 3 to 4 times and i am not able to download a map.

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

im getting a MD5Sum mismatch when trying to install

• Leonardo Araujo
    Leonardo Araujo Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It works very well. There are some minor things, though, that should be fixed:
    - After downloading the map, you have also to previously save specific routes in order for the program to work offline.
    - When in offline mode, if you are in the middle of the way between the start point of the previously saved route and the end point, the program thinks you are not in the route and doesn't work properly.
    - The most important thing this program needs is offline search. If the map is already downloaded, one should be able to search anything in it -- including route tracing -- without going online.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

have yet to try it out I will test it tomorrow I know I had probs before downloading maps so hopefully that works better for me

• smashcz
    smashcz Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

It's good except when you type address, you have to type city too. In google maps in iphone you dont have to, all you have to do is write street name.. that is lot better.

• fasih
    fasih Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

it works fine on my 3g iphone. i used it today, really cool finally the iphone is a true GPS

• Rehan
    Rehan Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Driving instructions are not working in Saudi Arabia :(

• K
    K Posts: 44
    via Wordpress

Joe, I'm getting the same problem, wonder if its a map thing, i have a 2G

• iPhone 3G
    iPhone 3G Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

where can i download the xgps 1.2 , i have only the 1.1 on cydia , could anyone please post te source for 1.2

thanx

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

This program sucks. Getting driving directions to a location name is a pain in the ass. You have to use manager and then you have to name your route. Why can't I just search, it spits out a find, and then I click it like on Good Maps and select "get directions to?"

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Hey Joe,

Try to install it again and see if it resolves the problem.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Yeah its definitely not intuitive enough to enter addresses.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Yeah this program is not as intuitive as Google Maps lets hope they improve
    the usability.

• jhan
    jhan Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

i have to agree with you on that one it is a pain to get directions but other than that the app is the best one out there keeping in mind the limitations of the gps receiver on iphone.

• Cheeze439
    Cheeze439 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Everytime I try to get directions the app crashes straight back to the springboard. I've tried a reinstall. It also crashes at about 10% of a map downloaded (as someone else has mentioned already). Any ideas? I gave up my N95 for this phone because it now had GPS and was pretty pissed when it didn't have turn by turn on it. I've been waiting for an app like this.

• Shubh
    Shubh Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

This doesn't recalculate new route if you go on the wrong way, instead it crashes saying driving directions cannot be found. Does anybody face the same problem?

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

I just upgraded to 1.2. This app is awesome as it's starting to unlock one of the real potentials of the iPhone (namely the 3g with GPS).

The "Search Places" function of the app works just like Google Maps. I search "food" and it gives me food results in within my immediate vicinity. I search "food near [location]" and it gives me food results near that location as expected.

But here's my one HUGE gripe with the app. When you choose one of the results from the search page, there's no option to calculate driving directions to that location. When you select search result, the map at that location is displayed with a pin dropped at the location you searched, exactly like Google Maps. But when you click on that pin, nothing happens. The only option you're left with is to either remember or write down the address of your search result and manually enter it in as a Driving Direction, or you can find it on Google Maps, save the location as a contact, and go back into xGPA to calculate driving directions to that "contact". I can't think how they could omit such a simple option, but I'm sure (hopefully) that it will come out in a future release.

I haven't tested out the voice nav yet, but I'm sure it beats holding my iPhone at the steering wheel while trying to follow Google's directions...

• Jon
    Jon Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

Errata:

The "Search Places" function of the app works just like the text-based search function of Google Maps.

• Raamon
    Raamon Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Yep I keep getting the same error, also noticed there is nothing in source apt.xwaves.net??

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

Why do you have to use head phones or an external speaker, why can't it use the built in speaker for voice directions?

• bethany
    bethany Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Do u need a GPS module to make this work?

I have an iphone 2g jailbreaked and an iphone 3g.
    On my 2g i have this app, and it says current location cant be determined. is this normal? do i have to select a different gps in the settings or do you have to have the Gps module? and how much would that cost? and where to get it from?

@josh
    the ipod touch doesnt have an internal speaker so he had to connect it to the car stereo. u can use the internal speaker for the iphone though.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey bethany,

You will need the GPS module for iPhone 2G but you won't need it for your
    iPhone 3G as it comes with a built-in GPS, you need to enable it via
    Settings.

The app seems to support few GPS modules (Launch app, click on the settings
    icon at the bottom left corner, then tap GPS -> GPS to use), you can
    probably google to find out where to buy them.

I would suggest that you check out the iPhone app on your iPhone 3G before
    buying the GPS module.

• matt p
    matt p Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

its decent but still needs work. recalculating feature does not work and the 'voice' navigation isn't all that clear

• fasih
    fasih Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

recalculating feature did work for me if you going wrong way....u will see it flashes wrong way in red and i guess it takes few seconds before it recalculates and directs you correctly. the voice navigation was ok for me.

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

This app is great. To redo directions make sure you turn reroute on in options. And voice works fine without using headphones or external speaker. Make sure ipod volume is all the way up.

• Fyta
    Fyta Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

"- The most important thing this program needs is offline search. If the map is already downloaded, one should be able to search anything in it -- including route tracing -- without going online."

This would be nice, but is not correct. Its like trying to use Google maps when not getting a data connection. You can see whatever maps you already have cached, but you cant search or get directions because you have to connect to Google to get that info. The maps are simple image files saved locally. The images dont contain any information, like street names, places, directions, etc. Tom-tom, Garmin, etc, devices have points of interest saved in their map information databases stored on the device. Thats why they dont need an internet connection.

It would be nice if a future version could somehow get ahold of points of interest information and save it locally so you can get directions while offline.

• Fyta
    Fyta Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

You can use it on 2G iPhone. Just set the GPS to iPhone 3G (yes, even if its a 2G iPhone). It will still work. It wont be as accurate as on the 3G since it isnt true gps, but the cell-phone "gps" still creates a set of gps coordinates that the program then uses. With good cell coverage, it works fairly well.

• Shubh
    Shubh Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I also face the same problem. Recalculating feature doesn't work for me either. Is anybody else facing the same issue?

• MastaG
    MastaG Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Sorry guys but this application is crap - it doesn't work in Australia. It can't even show me pointing in the right direction 80% of the time. Also, it seems to be confused constantly about where exactly I am. The application crashes when I try to download the maps for the Sydney area. Its unuseable. As such, I can't recommend it to anyone.

• bethany
    bethany Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

thanks so much fyta and iphonehacks!

i was on the iphone 3g setting on my 2g and it showed my current location but when i was moving it didnt move. and it said very poor connection where the satelite pic was. so i think i will def buy the module bc i have to use the gps a lot. or i will jailbreak the 3g after the warranty. thanks!