iPhone Firmware 3.0: 100 New Features Including Copy & Paste, MMS, Spotlight, Stereo Bluetooth, Push

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware 3.0: 100 New Features Including Copy & Paste, MMS, Spotlight, Stereo Bluetooth, Push Notification & More

Apple announced more than 100 new features for users in iPhone Firmware 3.0 during the special event to preview their next generation operating system for the iPhone today. iPhone software Senior Vice President Scott Forstall and iPhone Product Marketing Chief Greg Joswiak gave us a glimpse of some of the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

cant wait to get the update, but im running on the first gen iPhone so sadly i wont get the much needed MMS :-(
    oh, btw First ^_^, lol

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

I just realized that since this update is so big, will it affect the hacking community? Will they start to deplete because all the features we wanted are right their?(Besides all bluetooth video recording etc...) or Will it increase even more because the limitations are almost boundless in respect to security?

• jack
    jack Posts: 149
    via Wordpress

when is it coming out? they mention summer... but no date?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Yeah no date announced so far, last year iPhone firmware 2.0 was announced in March and released on July 11th.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

iPhone firmware 3.0 is definitely a major update and it definitely gives users lesser reasons to hack their iPhone.

But I also think the iPhone hacking community is hear to stay until the time Apple does not allow the iPhone to be used with across GSM carriers and some of the features like Video Recording etc are still missing.

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

I guess winterboard would also be a reason to stay in the hacking stuff. I guess i would still hack my phone for video recording. =P

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

I would like to correct something, you've said that Spotlight cannot be used to search for installed apps on the iPhone (like QuickGold). This is incorrect. There is a part in today's event when Scott announced that if you are a big user and got a lot of installed applications now you can use Spotlight to locate and run them.

Also I would like to add one of the most important features that will be missed. It is the ability to customize and install themes on the iPhone. This is the main reason why most people jailbreak their iPhones to get Winterboard and all of its related stuff.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

Kudos to Apple!!! i really expected for apple to let me down... again. But instead they far exceeded what i expected of them, wow virtually everything we have asked for except flash, video and what not, but the rest is there, wooot.
    But here is my question, amidst 3.0 news some other news has been buried that ive been wondering about, how is the Dev team doing on hacking the new base band or making a windows version? And there is a new update for itunes but i haven't heard news from you guys on the update or from the Dev whether its safe to do so. It seems that they have dropped off the face of the planet, they used to be mentioned in virtually every other post now I'm starting to wonder if they still exist lol (i hope so ill go crazy without them). So whats the news iphonehacks? have they just stayed quiet? or too busy with 3.0 to post (which i would completely understand)
    Thanks
    PS I'm sad that they didn't do the accelerometer lock as i suggested, especially now with landscape SMS its going to be hard while laying in bed :( lol wonder if they could make an app for it (either Cyndia or App Store)
    UPDATE: ok take that back about Dev Team dissapearing off the face of the planet, thanks Egypt just took a look at your link. Guess they are still hard at work as always :D WOOT DEV TEAM!!!! You rock!!! you too iphonehacks lol

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Yup forgot to mention it in the post, ZedSefi mentioned it as well, I have
    updated the post accordingly. Thanks Egypt.

• TimWetter
    TimWetter Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

3.0 Sounds good so far, but then i'm a naturally suspicious person and I still maintain the belief that Apple are going to hit us with a 'prevention of Cydia' barrier. Why i hear you cry....I believe Apple now view Cydia (specifically Jay Freeman) as a threat to Apples profits (Cydia Store etc) and therefore they may have an 'anti non Apple verified Application installation solution'
    I may be blasted for thinking this rather than shouting the 'WoW, it's got cut & paste' factor (a feature i really have no use for & couldn't see what the hype was about, but hey ho, thats me) but prove me wrong & i will stand corrected.
    A lot of 3.0 looks very impressive so far, but with the release date a few months away and the revealing of 3.0 today/yesterday says there maybe still a whole host of things left to do, maybe some of the listed developments will fail to make it for 3.0's official release.
    If it came to a 'mexican standoff' between 3.0 & the UNability to jailbreak, what would YOU decide to do???
    Does Apple offer a package good enough for you to become tied down, locked to the (cr)Appstore??
    Or......, would you stay with the current O/S, retain Cydia, & effectivley continue without the new features???
    I wonder if these features could become a 'selective' choice' rather than a forced upgrade...probably not, just wishful thinking :(

Feel free to discuss, i will check back and continue further discussions

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey ZedSefi,

You are right, I missed that one. With that Spotlight is probably the best
    feature in iPhone firmware 3.0.

Thanks for highlight it and also about Winterboard.

I have updated the post as well.

• iPhoneUser9800
    iPhoneUser9800 Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Yeah dis all sounds good, but I don't trust apple one bit. Operating jailbroke apps is fucked up on 2.2.1 soo imagine what apple has done for this one... i've learned my lesson updating too fast. now i'm back to 2.2 but w/ 2.30.03 baseband... :(

• iPhoneUser9800
    via Wordpress

Apple isn't stupid, they see websites like this. We don't wanna gain a little to lose everything else we love bout our iPhones, like full control to customize.

• Marcus
    Marcus Posts: 91
    via Wordpress

i will wait for the pwnage tool to come out before upgrading to 3.0, cause i like cycorder and i plan on keeping it

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

Sort contacts by Company Name damnit!?!? Huge pain the ass only having firstname/lastname.

• halu86
    halu86 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Will yellowsn0w possible for OS 3.0?? Let hope so....

• Kashif Saeed
    Kashif Saeed Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

Deleting of picz, music n video directly from iPhone/iPod Touch feature is missing.. n Divx codec is also missing... Think Abt it Guys ..! ThXX ..

• Tank
    Tank Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

So what do you guys think, 3.0 will be out and TomTom and Nav'n'Go Igo8 will show up?

• freakinfabulous
    freakinfabulous Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Is LEAP support still missing? If yes seriously Apple! If you want to really enter businessmen club try harder. Its not I don't like current updates - on contrary I love them...but still it pisses me off that I can't connect to my office Wi-fi network and have to rely on my blackberry. I love my iPhone, but give me enough grounds to fight for it!

• iPhoneUser9800
    via Wordpress

Why the **** does apple make having the iPhone soo difficult? It feels like we have to pray and pray JUST for us to have "copy & paste" and "MMS" on what is probably the most high-tech phone out. But they can make sure they work hard at stopping jailbreaking and unlocking of the phones.. I kinda feel like these recent updates are just a front to stop unlocking. and the only reason there FINALLY after all this time just now adding all the features ppl have BEEN asking for for years, is to stop all the jailbreaking. Apple needs to stop being little bitches and let EVERYBODY enjoy the iPhone with WHATEVER service the like... since WERE the ones payin $300 for a phone that needs a GRAND PREMIRE just to annouce that there giving us copy and paste... wtf!

But we all know AT&T is the culprit behind all this...

• TimWetter
    via Wordpress

Thanx for the link Egypt, another forum added to my list. So far i've followed your previous comments and it's fair to say you know your stuff
    I hate to add that i'm still not convinced about the ability to jailbreak 3.0, but if it can be done... then check back here as i will stand corrected ;) (i hope i am wrong)

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

Do you work for www.iphonehacks.com? I have never seen you post a comment (From my memory at least). No problem for the link. =]

~Egypt~

• TimWetter
    via Wordpress

Your memory serves you well...
    I'm a Long time reader, Short time poster!!! ;)
    i'm the sort of guy that only adds to/ starts a topic if i feel it's relevant. Only recently started posting on iphonehacks.com, i feel it's a worthwhile site to visit and the info it supplies is excellent (iphonehacks.com helped me the same day i aquired my 8gig 3g & pointed me in the direction of jailbreaking it)
    I've followed many of your links for a while now, i get the feeling you want the same as i do.... A Ferrari o/s to match the Ferrari handset rather than having a high quality shell with far from amazing software!
    Keep up the good work mate, I for one appreciate the links & tips you provide for ALL of us out here

• Donald
    Donald Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

When the new iphone comes out in July time, do you know if 2nd Gen Iphone users can upgrade for free? Even if I have only had the phone for 5 months? (on contract etc)...Cheers

• Greg Powell
    Greg Powell Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just jizzed in my pants....

• Egypt
    via Wordpress

You should start posting more because i like to read peoples comments and if i can add my knowledge to benefit others. Nice example with the Ferrari! =)Im glad you responded because now i know that i am benefiting others. =D

• geogo3r
    geogo3r Posts: 127
    via Wordpress

The only two reasons I have to Jailbreak my iPhone after 3.0 would be Winterboard and Video recording and I don't know if that is enough to justify Jailbreaking it, especially since I'd be voiding a warranty for so little.