AT&T Extends Eligibility Window; Some Existing iPhone 3G Customers will save $200 on Purchase of iPh

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Extends Eligibility Window; Some Existing iPhone 3G Customers will save $200 on Purchase of iPhone 3G S

Some of you folks who were complaining that iPhone 3G S upgrade pricing was unfair are going to love this news. AT&T has announced that they will be extending the eligibility window for determining which existing iPhone 3G customers are eligible for upgrade pricing on the iPhone 3G S. It...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Happy Nate
    Happy Nate Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I actually just received that email to my phone and I am extremely pleased with what they are doing. My question now is, with the lower price I prefer the 32 GB but due to the 399 tag I settled for the 16 GB... Think they will allow me to bring in the 16 and pay the extra for the 32? Either way, I am very pleased!!

• Colby
    Colby Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

This is confusing me. I have a iPhone 3g black 8 gigabytes. My phone was purchased in November 2008. Does this mean I can upgrade for free or not? Please explain it.

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

Is it too late for me here in the UK? I have already pre-ordered and purchased a new iPhone 3GS 32GB by signing a new two years contract, which I am going to try to collect tomorrow from the O2 shop (received delivery email confirmation to come and pick it up tomorrow, can't wait, yaay!). But, my existing iPhone 3G contract will run out on 26th October 2009 (I was thinking January 2010 but I've been told the period of me having the very first iPhone 2G has been considered as part of the total contract period), so do you think I am entitled to get such support, iPhoneHacks?

• Josh
    Josh Posts: 265
    via Wordpress

3 months is not enough. By far.

• Raffi
    Raffi Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
  • Happy Nate
    via Wordpress

Check your email and see if you have something from AT&T.

• Tyler927
    Tyler927 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

That's great! But I still think I'm going to wait till next year when 4th gen comes out and my contract is up

• S colbert
    S colbert Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Could they not be getting the 'pre' orders they we expecting and now running scared?

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Yeah all this is confusing the hell out of me. Not because I don't understand this but because I was paying my bill last night and clicked on the link to upgrade. It said I was eligable to upgrade now at $399 (16GB) and $499 (GB). Again, this is available to me now and this says it will be available after Thursday but I upgraded to the 3G only four months ago which from what I understand should be available to me for $200 more... If your reading this I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm either really lucky or really stupid. Either way, some of the reviews already out are advicing it's not worth the upgrade unless your new or paying the lowest cost available. I, however, remain interested.

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

@hxclos

The "early upgrade" price is $399 and $499. Any ATT customer can do that if they are not eligible for the actual upgrade price. That is typically 12-18 months after your contract if you have an iPhone and spend more than 99$ on that line. Hope that sort of clears things up.

• Happy Nate
    via Wordpress

No, buddy. They sold out of the "pre" orders. With ease.

• Tcw1969
    Tcw1969 Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I ordered my 32 gb last week on the first day they were announced. Had to shell out $699 because I was not eligble for an upgrade yet. I bought the 3g I have now last July and paid $399 for it then because i was due for an upgrade then. Since I paid full price for one last year, shouldn't I get a break on this one I just ordered?

• Tcw1969
    via Wordpress

I ment to say, I paid $399 for my 8gb last year because I was not due for an upgrade. Shouldn't I get a break on this years purchase?

• S colbert
    S colbert Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Yes but apple will have stock on hand - I don't think people are busting them like they did in the past. Why else would they take a 200 loss - these people were going to buy them anyway at the higher price. And even thoug
    they sold out of the original pre orders they may not be getting much more beyond that. This is AT&T - there is somthing more to this than a sudden discovery of benevolance. Buddy.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Yeah, you could easily return the 16GB iPhone 3G S for a 32GB iPhone by visiting an Apple store and also make use of the credits as you might have paid a higher price.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

I'm not completely sure but AT&T has only extended it for all those who were upgrade eligible in July, August or September 2009.

Since you would be eligible in Nov 2009, I don't think it would be applicable to you unfortunately.

• Nicolette
    Nicolette Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

So let me see if I have this right..

I am eligible for an upgrade August 30th, 2009. So because of this extended eligibility thing I will be able to get the new iPhone for the regular price ($199) for the 16GB tomorrow? I don't have to wait until August to get it. Please respond if you know.

• Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 124
    via Wordpress

WTF. They should extend for any purchase in 2009. I got a second 1 in March or April. This is patethic. So if you did not get the email, you are not eligible?

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Well I've had mine for less than four months and actually pay $83 month thanks to my job. Maybe that has something to do with it.

• Patrick
    via Wordpress

Can anyone actually confirm the the month at which you fall into the eligibility for the 3GS? I had a blackjack 2, and was out of my contract. Then recently upgraded to the 3G around March or April!!

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

Okay, i bought my 3G on September 5th 2008 and when i called AT&T today the salesman told me i am eligible for the $199 upgrade price for a 16gb 3GS but my upgrade date isn’t until February 5th 2010 (18 months into my contract). The 3G came out July 15 2009 so technically no one would be available for an upgrade in July, August or September because 18 months from July 15th is December 15th 2010.
    Was the AT&T guy wrong and i’m not available for the upgrade price or am i missing something here?

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

Extended Eligibility you have to pay 399 for the 16GB. If i was you just wait until august do you really need the phone that bad its only 2 months away plus you cant even use MMS on it until late summer so when august hits u going to have everything so be patient....lol

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

Brett lucky for you i got the iphone the same day man the lady at ATT told me the same thing but me and you can get the iphone tomorrow for 399 16GB but we have to sign a new 2 year contract or 32GB for 499 also sign a new 2 year contract OR we can wait until February and get it for 199 16GB 299 32GB im going to wait man i dont know about you

• Tcw1969
    via Wordpress

I still don't understand, I have been a customer with att wince dec of 2007, and still have to pay 699 for my 32gb, I checked and they say i am eligible for and upgrade in march of 2010? This doesn't make sense.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

well i am gonna call att tomorrow and actually see what the deal is whether i can get the 199 price or not if i cant then at least i will know one way or the other

• Videokiddo
    Videokiddo Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Tomarrow night at 12:00am (Friday the 19th)
    dial *new# from your AT&T phone. This will give you your eligibility date for the new customer pricing of $199 16GB and $299 32GB

I'm still waiting for the 3.0 jailbreak before i buy the 3Gs. But i'm sure that will be out tonight or tomarrow. I only want the new iPhone for the hardware. 600MHz processor and 256mb of ram. All the new features i have been doing for ever now on my jailbroken 3g. Not to mention slingplayer and skype over 3G. So i'm getting my money out of my data usage from AT&T. LOL! 13894MB data usage since i started using slingplayer 1 month ago.
    This is the only way to get back at these cell phone company's for ripping us off.
    Do all the things with your phone that they don't want done. LOL!

• Raffi
    Raffi Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

if i bought the 3g the day it came out 16gb for 299 then do i qualify???

• Patrick
    via Wordpress

Same here Wolverine...going to call them in the morning, and attempt to sell my 3G for $150 to $200, there is bound to be someone out there that would like this phone without getting into a contract for this cheap.

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

My upgrade price is $399.00, think I will wait. It's not like I have to have it now... it would be nice though but not for that price. So will wait till next june 2010

In this economy folks will think twice about spending $399 on a phone. There's a bigger % of folks willing to spend $199.

And soooo will wait.... in the mean time I will learn how to make ice cream.

• RV
    RV Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I spoke with AT&T today and I purchased my iPhone 3G last August 2008. According to them, as long as you purchased your iPhone 3G in July, August or September 2008 and you pay over $99.99 monthly per line then you can get the early upgrade. Between the 2 iPhones in my bill, I spend $140 monthly but they wouldn't upgrade any of my lines because my first line bill calculates at $95 ($60 family plan + $30 data plan + $5 text plan) and my second iPhone 3G line is only $45 ($10 additional family plan + $30 data plan + $5 text plan). I pled my case all the way up to the area manager and director but they wouldn't budge since I was about $4.99 short of their requirement and they cared less even if I've been an AT&T customer for 8 years.

I highly suggest you speak to a manager so you can get your upgrade if you purchased your phone in July, August, or September 2008 and pay over $99.99 per line monthly because many of the customer service reps are unaware of the new early upgrade announcement.