iPhone 3G S Pricing for existing iPhone Users; Is it Fair?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 3G S Pricing for existing iPhone Users; Is it Fair?

Apple announced at the WWDC 2009 Keynote address yesterday that their third generation iPhone, iPhone 3G S will be available on June 19. As expected they didn’t change the price of their new, faster iPhone. $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model for "new and qualifying...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

I was planning on upgrading but after seeing those prices I will just wait for the 4th generation iPhone and upgrade to that one I hate when companies take care of new customers but show existing customers any loyalty I have had AT&T for the last 4 or 5 years and 5hey never throw existing customers a break. So I will be skipping the 3rd generation

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Unfortunately, that's how subsidies work but AT&T could have at least
    offered a $50 or $100 discount as a loyalty reward for its existing iPhone
    3G users.

• Psy
    Psy Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

I've been putting up with AT&T for far too long. Once my contract is up I'm done with both AT&T and Apple.

• JAVON
    JAVON Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

man digg this, I have been loyal to apple and this iPhone thing right from the jump. So needless to say I'm pissed. Ok let xplain. The first iPhone came out and I bought it on that day. Couldn't upgrade so I payd almost 700$ for it well 670$ but that's the same thing really. Believe it or not it was worth it to me, nex year the 3g came and I got that one, once again I choodnt upgrade bcause of the one not being 2 yrs so I pay the 450 kool. Now this new ones come out on the 19th I shood b gud fa the upgrade, but they really won't make it worth it to me, ok it's a little faster, mines hacked so I can tether, got a video cam and MMS so please let me kno y I'd upgrade? And how much whood I have ta pay? I'm juss knot seeing it. I'm very disappointed with apple and AT&T. Y whood they b so short with the ppl who made there products so popular.

• pinalty
    pinalty Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

what's interesting is that if you ll try to reserve an Iphone 3GS on apple site they let you chose a iPhone 3gs with 8 GB for 199 $ . I think they "forgot " to anounce the 8gb yesterday because they try to sell the iPhone 3g as many as

• alandigby@hotmail.com
    via Wordpress

At least you don't live in the UK! It would cost me the equivalent of $789 to upgrade to the 3GS - It's a joke!
    That's what I get for being a loyal customer I guess...

• JAVON
    JAVON Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

And another thing, I heard there was 99$ deal wat happen? And does apple even check out these sites. Like wat the iPhone community thinks cause there slow, everything the bring out new is at least a yr old and then half of it they don't even try ta make reality, if it's timing, juss hold off dnt put it out then say AT&T won't even offer it til wenever. WTF

• Mike Le
    Mike Le Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I think its fair but that AT&T should be a bit more generous because iPhone customers are big spenders.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

I have 2 iPhone 3Gs (me and the better half), both bought through an Apple store here in NJ, so locked to AT&T and jailed. A very good friend of mine bought hers *factory unlocked!!!!* about 2 months later in France from Bouigues Telecom for 44 Euros!!!! That's with a 2 year contract, but french law forces the provider to release the person from the contract if the person is moving abroad (i.e back to the good'ol US of A ;) ). I'm definitely gonna get the 2 3GS, but this time I will wait for them to come out in France where I'll be able to get them *factory unlocked*, so I don't have to worry about unlocking anymore, just jailbreak and Voila!

Really not fair how we are made to go through loops, and pay all kinds of money, just because we are here (in the US). French law (that thing again) forces cell phone companies to unlock any phone after a time. So even Apple couldn't keep their iPhones locked very long, though they did try to weasel their way out of that one. No dice with the frenchies (the froggies?) get back in line, wait your turn or no french euros for you!

So I'll deal with no MMS, Super speed and no 3 megapixels for a while. As y'all know we already have video recording...

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

Excuse me for my language, but thats a load of crap. Phones only last a year. My iPhone's battery is terrible now. It loses 10% if i play like 20 songs =/. Do you think if i show them how my vibrate toggle button is really loose and the small signs of a crack arriving that they would exchange it for the 3G S for free? Last time my vibrate button fell off and they exchanged it for free(and they let me pick a different color =D )

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

the iphone battery life is poor, having bought a case battery just to survive for the day is B.S. ATT thinks they have the corner but i'm moving back to Verizon or T-mobile. thanks for looking out for us existing and used to be loyal customer.

• Tarpit
    Tarpit Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

F**C apple i just went to 3g about 4 months ago... Im pissed. Last time they said that if you bought the phone within a ceertin amount of time they would let you upgrade free of charge...

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Apple is basically relying on new customers by allowing AT&T to do this because I doubt most of us current customers will want to upgrade now. And I was really looking forward to the upgrade until I realized I upgraded from the fist gen iPhone to the 3G earlier this year, meaning I'll have to pay at least $599 umm... for a compass?? Hey Apple, see you next year... or two.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

I have an iPhone 3G too and it doesn't have any of the wear and tear that
    you have mentioned so I don't agree with the statement: "Phones only last a
    year"

As for the battery, it has always been one of my biggest cribs about iPhone
    3G from the beginning but that also has to do with the usage. But I don't
    think it has deteriorated.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

I think features like faster processor and more RAM are underrated. It might
    not seem to be good enough but I believe it will greatly improve user
    experience.

But can understand your situation.

• Egypt
    Egypt Posts: 115
    via Wordpress

What do they do if your iPhone does have a crack (which isn't intentional? So what do you think they will do if i show them all that stuff? (I know your not an expert but i just want your opinion)

• lacero
    lacero Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I have a 3G now and wanted to get the 3GS but I WILL NOT pay $200 dollars more!!!

• Cameron
    Cameron Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

I hate it, to be honest.

It's like a stab in the back to existing iPhone users. I was planning on updating, but no, not anymore. Why should I have to pay $200 extra? That's not a "small amount"--that's a huge amount, well for me personally.

And don't even get me started on that stupid $18 upgrade fee. Are you kidding me? ANOTHER 18? Are they just making more BS up now to get more and more cash?

I've come to hate Apple and AT&T. The iPhone itself...I like it, even though every single one I've had has had physical problems, mostly dead and stuck pixels, or darkened spots during bright screens, besides that crap, it's an alright phone.

• Shane H.
    Shane H. Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

You do not PUNISH your customers for being LOYAL and purchasing a NEW PRODUCT at launch time. Period. I DONT CARE if it it was subsidized before. I, along with everyone else DESERVE the cheap price. You DO NOT stab your LOYAL customers in the back by charging them UNREASONABLE prices for SIMPLY BUYING THE NEW PRODUCT WHEN IT COMES OUT!

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Then the Nokia folk start screaming, the Sony E fans start Honking etc. To us it's The 'One' to the networks we're figures & statistics.
    To the networks, it's a hook for new business, new customers wanting the latest techtoy with nowhere else to go...
    They not worried about you or I, they've had their pennies worth

• ZedSefi
    ZedSefi Posts: 130
    via Wordpress

Dear iPhoneHacks,

Any idea how fast the new processor is, and how big the ram is in the new iPhone 3G S? So far nobody revealed these information yet .. I dunno why!!

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I think we need to strike!! Everyone who agrees AT&T should go F themselves should advise potential new customers to stay away from the iPhone. Let's give this a bad rap. Let's hit them were it hurts (thier wallets). Once Apple realizes they are loosing money by not selling iPhones and AT&T stops getting new customers they won't have an option but to change their ways. Now who's with me?!?!

Bad reviews! Bad reviews! Bad reviews!

• ZedSefi
    via Wordpress

I went to O2 Store yesterday and in order for me to get the new iPhone 3GS 32GB I have to agree on the following:

1- Agree to pay £175 for the Phone if:
    2- I want to keep my current allowance of £35 a month, and...
    3- Sign another 2 years contract from the date when my contract expires, or...
    4- If I want it now, then I have to terminate my existing 3G contract by paying for the remaining 6 months of my term, which means 6x35=£210 plus £175 = £385 (how much is that in USD?!!) I guess it is just better for me to either buy a factory unlocked iPhone from eBay that worths such a price, or to wait till January 2010 to get O2 locked iPhone 3GS 32GB for £175 only.

This is rubbish and bull**it.

• ZedSefi
    via Wordpress

It will eventually happen, not by the term of physical striking, but I really believe that Apple and their locked carriers around the world will be in SHOCK from bad sales this times. Very few people will consider switching to the new iPhone for now especially the 40 million existing iPhone customers who own 2G & 3G iPhones. Then, they will re-study the whole matter again and try to spot the mistake were everything went wrong in order to fix it. Until then I am afraid we got no other choice but to wait, or to waste, and you know what I mean by this.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

i am down this is true bs......think its time for boost mobile or metro pcs i would save over 600$ a year by going to one of them but my dumb ass pays over 120$ a month for a iphone i cant even upgrade to wow

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about, AT&T already subsidized your 3G iPhone, why should they turn around and subsidize it again when they haven't even made their money up yet because it hasn't been two years? I'm perfectly fine with the prices, I'll sell my 3G for around the cost to get a 3GS (450.00 or so) and I'll pay the difference. At least it's not the non-contract price.

• Robert Bailey
    Robert Bailey Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I'm sorry but when you bought the Iphone you had to know within a year they would come out with another. You signed the contract.

We all know that when you buy a computer its obsolete within a month or two. So should they give you a refund for that. Not its part of business.

They could have made you pay full price for the Iphone.

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

i have a small crack on my iphone 3g so i will go changes it for free,and get3GS.
    no kidding!!
    At&t is bunch of idiots want to make quik cash.they threat their costomers as number not humain.

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

This message to AT&T CEO you are an ass!!!