iPhone OS 3.1 Problems: Random Shutdown, Poor Battery Life, Bricked iPhone, Slow Performance

Comments

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

wow glad my computer is down at the moment and I cant upgrade to 3.1 and dont have a bricked phone

• infiltrator
    infiltrator Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Hello everybody,
    I upgraded my iphone to 3.1 just as the firmware appeared. besides the problems mentioned in the article I have a strange one with my wireless. When I wake my phone from sleep mode and I launch safari or any other app that uses wireless is not loading the data from the first time. I have to stop loading or quit the app and then resume.
    This is the worst update ever.
    I have iphone 3g not jailbreaked yet.

• Douceswild
    Douceswild Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I'm experiencing most of those issues, mainly the slowdown in performance and battery life. Another issue you might want to add that I'm having along with many others (after some reasearch), the keyboard clicking is muffled now. When typing a text or email (or any text)the clicking is significantly lower than before.

• Eddie
    Eddie Posts: 69
    via Wordpress

You can still download the 3.0.1 software from another site, I did, don't remember where though. I just Googled for it.

• Carsten
    Carsten Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Another bug with OS 3.1 / itunes 9: smart playlists are screwed up in iTunes during sync, resulting in showing completely different files in some conditions or a wrong sorting order in other sitations. Really annoying for podcast playlists!

I experienced worse battery life and a random shutdown as well.

• junixG
    junixG Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i have a 3gs and im using vista. i had the same problems with os 3.1.
    i restored via itunes then set the auto lock to 2 minutes. i've had only 1 auto shutdown in the last 48 hours.

• anold
    anold Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i have a 3g and its working good... even though i cant unlock it anymore 8(

• arnold
    arnold Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

syncing is slower though..... really slow.

• mik@mik.com
    mik@mik.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

me too!!!! hello apple-bums wake up and release an update and bugs fix... my iPhone has a PC-like symptoms...

• Charles
    Charles Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

Yep, Poor battery life. Also seem to loose my carrier. Can't make or receive calls, don't receive text messages. Hoping for a quick release of 3.2

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

Yes, I am seeing the random shutdown on my O2 3G since the 3.1 upgrade. I upgraded 3 days ago and its done the shutdown each day - during night so not even noticed until the morning.

Not seeing the speed issue or the battery problem.

• karl
    karl Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

theyll probly just release 3.1.01 which will fix these issuies or something then theyll make a jailbreak and unlock for that so if you ask me theres no point in upgrading.

• itheemperor
    itheemperor Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

lis1ric i was having the same issue with GPS No signal at all, so i charged the battery to its maximum and then opened copilot live it ill say determining position just left it like that for a couple of hours and when i came back GPS was connected try this but am not an expert its just my experience which happened accidently. take care

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

Apple is gay. My phone was stuck in recovery mode for a day. Had to be replaced at the Apple store. The phone they replaced it with erased my music files evey time I opened it.

Apple sucks, and so do y'all!

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Yup. Add me to the list of those experiencing all those problems except for the bricked phone. Random shut down, slow, and a noticeable decline in battery life are all problems though.

• Steveo
    Steveo Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

I have a 3GS and experienced random shut offs a couple times yesterday, and the battery life diminished very quickly. Also happened to a co-worker of mine with a 3G. Definitely a 3.1 bug!

We get an update next friday to enable mms, so hopefully that update will also fix these problems.

• CheeseEater
    CheeseEater Posts: 40
    via Wordpress

I think the shutdowns (yes, I am having them also) are not from Apple, but from AT&T to increase their available network capacity (fewer phones on the network at any 1 time).
    The decreased battery life is caused by the United Nations leaching power from our phones to combat global warming. I use the battery meter as an egg timer now, from 100 to 0 is just about right to get a perfect egg every time.

• Yuriy
    Yuriy Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

mine 3G and also slower, was shutting down yesterday at 1:25AM

• Yuriy
    Yuriy Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

also just because i was reading news in my 3G in half hour i 50% less battery - extremely fast.....

• Christopher
    Christopher Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Glad I did not upgrade and still working Fine!!

• Chase
    Chase Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

Updated a week ago and have NO problems!

• Yuval
    Yuval Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My 3G became sloooooooow, it hangs all the time, it's terrible !

• Dr Puttingham
    Dr Puttingham Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I "upgraded" my developer's 3.1 to the officail and accidently let it do a restore. (I always do a fresh install) Noticed that my battery discharged to empty while driving, with it connected to the car charger. As it's over a year old I figured that my battery was dying. Bought a replacement battery but decided to reflash while waiting. Instantly battery issue went away. Actually the battery's lasting much longer than before, without any charging during the day. Go figure....

• This problem seem to be common. My 3gs iphone did that once and because I'd known of this issues, i did not upgrade my firmware.

2221 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Im trying to turn on the OS 3.1, THE SYSTEM IS DEAD.... HELP!!!!!!

• Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

good thing i decided to read up on 3.1 before updating. but as for the slower response issue, i have had similar problems for a while since i bought my 3gs. never really thought much about it, but it does tend to get annoying. any solutions?

• madmatter
    madmatter Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

...same shutdown issue is happening with me. Having to do hard reboots approximately every other day...and locks up. Fix this Apple.

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

Something is up with Apple. I got my iPhone in Japan and have been living with 3.0 with no problems. But now when I read this and the other comments I remember I singed some paper when I first signed up last month that said something in English saying that the phone company (Softbank) was not responsible for firmware upgrades and any update you did will not be covered under warranty at your own risk. It's almost like they knew in the future or in the past from firmware upgrades that this was going to be a nightmare. So they warned users flat out front. Either Apple knows that the firmware is crap and put new versions out in time for the PR bukake just too keep investors happy or they have no clue what is wrong with each run of iphones from China (but "designed in California" please blow me) hence why no one can pin point why these problems are so random over many iphones.

I'm not going to upgrade. As there's some old sayings. If it ain't broke why fix it? Yes why upgrade if the phone works. I don't need mms or video editing fix. I need a phone that will work before I had to terminate my contract as google will have a good phone in 2 years I hope?!

• Austin TX
    Austin TX Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I get the same on my 3G. maybe every other day, black screen couple of minutes later apple comes back. I'm also getting far more dropped calls and odd no signals.

Have Apple lost it or what; this company feels more like Microsoft every day!!!

• haytham
    haytham Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

i have the same problem my iphone go in coma