How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.1.2 Using PwnageTool 3.1.4

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHow to Jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.1.2 Using PwnageTool 3.1.4

iPhone Dev Team released PwnageTool 3.1.4 for iPhone OS 3.1.2 few days back to allow users to jailbreak their iPhone and also preserve the baseband firmware so that they can unlock their iPhone. This step-by-step guide will show you how to use Dev Team's PwnageTool 3.1.4 courtesy folks at iClarified....

Read the full story here

Comments

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

Ok llet me get this straight, if i'm able to get the pwnage tool from a friend or download it from the net, I can do the process in windows?? Please explain because I had tried using my mac emulator but I didnt successfully enter dfu mode....also how does one create the ipsw at the start of the process? I guess I'm missing something, please help ...thanking you guys in advance...

• Spence
    Spence Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

hi...i've jailbroken a few different iphone 3g's without much problem but i just barely upgraded those phones to 3gs's. i have 2 of them and i was able to jailbreak the first one without any problem whatsoever. the second one however has been rather impossible for me. i keep getting the eternal "preparing iphone for restore" in itunes and then i get a "1604 error". does anyone know what's going on? thanks in advance.s

• Spence
    Spence Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

well...instead of waiting for pwnagetool to work i gave blackra1n a shot and this worked right off the bat. i would have liked to maybe add the pineapple logo but this was by far the easiest jailbreaking method i've ever used. if you're having problems with pwnagetool you might want to give blackra1n a shot!

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

you need to have your iphone jailbroken before you can restore with a custom firmware.
    for example, if you're upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1.2, you have to create a custom firmware for 3.1.2
    but first you have to jailbreak your 3.0 iphone.

• kDub
    kDub Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

hrmm..ok since you used blackra1n to jailbreak, now try restoring with the custom firmware you built to see if it will work.

• Rick
    Rick Posts: 104
    via Wordpress

I'm on 3.0.1 jailbroken but i wanna have the 3.1.2 firmware unlocked can i use windows??

• Bermuda Brains
    Bermuda Brains Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

FOR ALL THOSES PEOPLE ASKING ABOUT HOW TO JAILBREAK AND UNLOCK, I SAY TO YOU "HOW LONG HAS THE IPHONE BEEN OUT, IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT IT BY NOW PLEASE SHOOT YOURSELF CAUSE YOU WILL NEVER GET" I CAN'T BELEIVE PEOPLE DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS THING BY NOW. COOOMMMMMEEEE OOONNNN PEEEOOOPPLLLEE.

• few cents
    few cents Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

that is i assume because majority using windows and you need to have an apple to do this lately

• Daniel
    Daniel Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

why would you do all of this when you can let the Rain program do it all for you, which takes about 30 seconds?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

The baseband bundled with iPhone OS 3.1.2 cannot be unlocked. So if users want to preserve their baseband, the only tool available currently is PwnageTool. Blackra1n doesn't preserve the baseband.

newbie Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

This is so unclear, I'm a windows user, Can I use this tool to JB? I don't want to unlock, just JB!

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

so i jailbroke my gf iphone and know ithe at&t network thing doesnt appear any one else ahve that problem

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

If you don't plan to unlock your iPhone and only want to jailbreak it, then use Blackra1n (PC or Mac)

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

Any word on a Windows version that will preserve the baseband? Also, do any of these updates affect the tethering hack?

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

I'm trying to do this my 3Gs and when I follow the instructions but replacing it with the 3Gs ipsw it goes through the process but when it restarts it says its in Recovery Mode and the screen is black. Any suggestions.

• edgatic
    edgatic Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

As Stated above: This guide is applicable only for iPhone 3G users.

• e@mac.com
    e@mac.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I got this version installed on my iphone "iPhone2,1_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore"
    and trying to upgrade with this version "iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore"
    but getting this massage
    The iphone "iphone" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.
    Please any advice will be appreciated.

• yang
    yang Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I have a working jailbroken 2G iPhone, can I use this package to upgrade to latest OS? Thanks

• Les
    Les Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Ummm I downloaded the jailbreak on my phone using the instructions above however my phone, texts, email or anything that requires a signal doesn't work anymore!! Can someone please tell me what to do. My phone number won't show up in the settings either!!!! MAybe this wasn't worth it

• dee
    dee Posts: 56
    via Wordpress

yeah, I jailbroke and unlocked however no signal, not happy, i'm restoring my phone to it's factory condition, oh well, worth a shot

• stajp007
    stajp007 Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I've jailbroke my iPhone 3g 16gb with this pwnage tool and I can't anymore install craked apps through itunes with **** of 3.1. Does anybody know why???

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

hmm.. I tried this procedure with my iPhone 3G, iTunes 9.01 and it restored me back to original factory settings, then iTunes brought me back to the last backup/Sync I did, I never got prompted for the custom.ipsw file. I never saw the "older iPhone firmware files". Did I miss something?

• Chrono
    Chrono Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

when will the guide for 3Gs arrive.. i just got a new 3gs and want it unlocked.

• Boogie
    Boogie Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I just jailbroke from 3.0 to 3.1.2, everything worked smoothly however my filmware is 05.11.07? Does that mean I cant use it on T-Mobile or am I good to go?

• Andre
    Andre Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

This guide will work perfectly for you if you follow them to the letter, be patient and if you new to it think about what you do on every step.
    If your on a PC always get a custom restore file from a trusted source or friend with a Mac, for those of you who have updated your baseband, it means you didn't choose the custom firmware file or you obtained it from an untrusted source, PwnageTool will not allow the baseband update when creating it, this is done by "Option or alt" restore on a Mac and "Shift" restore on a PC.
    If you have done this correctly you will always be asked for a firmware file.
    If your iPhone has never been Jailbroken then you must place it in DFU mode, which can be done without PwnageTool but you will have to count yourself.

Anybody can rename an official firmware file to look like a custom firmware, just be careful if you really want to keep your unlock.

• Ben Wade
    Ben Wade Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

this tool is awesome... very quick!

• Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 39
    via Wordpress

iPhone Hacks Admin,

How long until you post the step by step for 3GS?

-Shawn

• Ken
    Ken Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

hmm.. I tried this procedure with my iPhone 3G, iTunes 9.01 and it restored me back to original factory settings, then iTunes brought me back to the last backup/Sync I did, I never got prompted for the custom.ipsw file. I never saw the "older iPhone firmware files". Did I miss something?

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

I got the same problem

• drey
    drey Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

You still have to unlock the phone with ultrasnow. Follow those instructions also and it will restore you network settings. I had to do this although my carrier is AT-T