Is Motorola Droid Really An iPhone Killer?

Andy
Andy Posts: 1,127
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageIs Motorola Droid Really An iPhone Killer?

This has really been the question of the week and will probably continue to linger for long, until the next quarter results are out. So why is so much being made out of Motorola Droid and why, for the first time ever, people are actually seeing an 'iPhone killer' which...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Fingers21
    Fingers21 Posts: 243
    via Wordpress

bollox!!! Motorola suck! iPhone all the way. There is no such thing as an iphone killer, companies have tried many times to compete.

• salsa
    salsa Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

As much as I enjoy the iPhone, its reliance upon AT&T's shoddy network kept me from upgrading to a 3GS. I'm still waiting for a decent very good Android phone so I can get onto Verizon and use the iPhone like an iPod Touch.

Given my negative experiences with Motorola products, though, I'll wait until the Android ecosystem is a bit more fleshed out.

It does seem like Apple could be in a pickle if Android gains momentum and iPhone App makers start coding for Android too.

• galadriann
    galadriann Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Definitely not an iphone killer ... yet ... Android, while really promising is not yet mature enough ...
    The camera on the iphone may be "only" 3Mpixel but it takes really great pictures even compared to some 5mpixel camera... check the benchmarks comparing internet browsing between the two and you will know what to buy... Android is still too clunky and need more refinement to really pretend competing...
    Only edge it can take is when it gets flash support in January I believe...
    One good thing for us iphone owners though ... with competition coming up to level, Apple may loosen their tight grip a little and add more feature ...
    On the other hand ... if you are willing to jailbreak your iphone ... then it is not even mentioning the droid as jailbroken iphone can do all the things the droid does and more ... well maybe not the keyboard (well you can connect an external keyboard...)

Peace

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

droid is not an iPhone killer there is no such thing as the iPhone killer. I dont want a keyboard I love the virtual keyboard of the iPhone, I dont want to run widgets either, a better camera would be nice but like galadriann says theres 3MP camera that take better pics then 5MP thats very true. So bring it droid cause the next iPhone will get bigger and better because thats how apple has been doing it for 3 years. Blackberrys and the Palm Pre better be the ones that should be looking over their shoulder cause they might be dying soon.

• NateDawg
    NateDawg Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

I have a 3GS and really wanted it to have a keyboard. The camera is okay... It boils down to physical features and software contents. iPhone has my vote for now...

• MUNKY
    MUNKY Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

IPHONE 3GS 32GB IS THE BEST PHONE, I AM CAPABLE OF MAKING DO WHAT EVER I WANT THANKS TO CYDIA, SO IF I GET TIRED OF A THEME AND FEEL LIKE RUNNING DIFFERENT SOUNDS AND THEMES I JUST FIND ANOTHER ONE AND THERE YOU GO, I LOVE IT, GAMES, APPS, TXTING, MMS, CAMERA, MUSIC, VIDEO RINGTONES... ETC THE LIST JUST GOES ON, I TRIED THE G1 WICH WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE IPHONE KILLER AND I SOLD IT WITHIN A MONTH ITS JUST TO SLOW COMPARED TO THE IPHONE.....SO UNLESS THE IPHONE JUST DISAPEAR, THERE IS GOING TO BE NO OTHER PHONE CAPLE OF DOING ALL THE THINGS IPHONE DOES, UNLESS THEY JUST COPY THE CONCEPT, BUT THATS ILLEGAL

• katsuboi
    katsuboi Posts: 99
    via Wordpress

Competition is good, but an iPhone killer altogether, I think not. I'm still waiting for a better camera w/flash on the iPhone. Perhaps droid will spur apple to bring the improvements we want sooner rather than later.

Others keep harping on having a physical keyboard, I could care less, and dont want it.

As an early Palm Pilot user, I got accustomed to a touchscreen interface, so when the iPhone came along it felt more natural to do my typing that way.

With the physical keyboards, I hate all those tiny buttons w/multiple functions. But it really comes down to preference. There will apparently always be those who prefer one method of typing interface to the other, so quit making a big deal of it.

If you want to truly rub out the iphone you've got to do at least 2 major things first: 1. Build a better phone (offer a physical keyboard version & a touchscreen keyboard version-what a great idea!) 2. Create a superior(can't be a lame copy) alternative to the App store. Good luck!

• anonymous
    anonymous Posts: 106
    via Wordpress

I agree, my first 3 phones were motorolas before I went to sony and then to iphone. Motorola phones suck, their OSes are freakin terrible.

• anonymous
    anonymous Posts: 106
    via Wordpress

notice how you're the only one calling it "Android"

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

I think this should be relabled as a "blackberry killer" instead.

• Alek
    Alek Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

What is annoying is that Motorola played with iPhone for 6 months after launch to figure out what it can't do and made something else that can do stuff iPhone can't... Well no crap, Apple can play with Droid for 6 months and come out with another iPhone that can do stuff Droid can't. You can't just call it a "killer". Now if they came out at the same time and one was much better than the other, yes then you can call it a killer but if you have adventage of 6 extra months and the rival's product to temper with, then obviously you aren't going to come out with something that can do less than that product, durr.

• The Truth
    The Truth Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

There is no such thing as an iphone killer and there will never be one. I'm sorry but hold the two in your hand and you will immediately know. I've owned every blackberry made and still made the switch to iphone. I kept my blackberry for a few months but was sure after the first week which was the phone for me. I wish people would stop trying to compare these inferior phones to the iphone.

• Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress

I don't think Apple has anything to be concerned with. Verizon although they do have better coverage nickel and dimes for every little thing. Motorola should have quit after razor.
    Also Im sick and tired of every lame ass new phone that comes out which is clearly a knock-off of the iphone being called an "iphone killer". I love the clever wording these paid ads have.."IS the Driod an iphone killer?" they are asking a question, not making a statement. What a joke...this piece of crap phone will lock up and have issues like every other watered down Verizon phone

• Flash
    Flash Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Nokia 5800 was iPhone killer also :)))

• sundeep machado
    sundeep machado Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Apple IPhone is way ahead of its competition. It will take a good marketing strategy to beat Apple in its own game.

• p-dex
    p-dex Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i really do not understand why anyone would expect the iphone to have a phyical keyboard. when it was introduce the whole concept was a simple physical design and a multi-touch screen. ive had all 3 phones and yes, it took maybe about a week to get used to when the 1st one came out. i am to the point where im more comfortable typing on a virtual keyboard that on another mobile physical keyboard.

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress

Sadly, this comment was completely skipped and unread by me. As all things shouted at me in all caps.

Hope it wasn't important...I'll never know and won't take the time to read this comment. I'm only commenting on the rudeness of the above author.

Not a good way to make a point.

• Carl McPherson
    Carl McPherson Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

No the Nokia 5800 was just a bad attempt @ a touch screen phone running out of date nokia software it was never billed as an IPhone killer!!!

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

Everything i Don't (haha) DEVTEAM DOES

• coMet
    coMet Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
  • TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

All I can say is: 256 MB. That is the amount of space out of the box you can install apps in.

Yes us hackers will get around that, but the regular user will not.

I already have 1GB of apps on my 8GB iphone 3G.

On top of that if you have to call it an iPhone killer and talk about the iPhone in your ads then you probably will never kill the iPhone. LOL!

• Just another iPhone User
    via Wordpress

Seriously? A "physical keyboard" is an advantage? I used to never text message because the stupid keys were too small for my sausage fingers, then I got my iPhone where I could turn the thing and the keys got bigger, now I text more than my wife. People never complained about a 3mp camera on previous phones so why now? My exp. with cameras in the past is, if it isn't a 10mp camera then there really isn't a difference. 3 or 5 are still going to take crappy quality images that are small and able to be sent in a mms. Its not the quality of image that is up for debate here but more the sharability.

As many others have also included in their messages, if you aren't afraid to jailbreak your iPhone, there is nothing any other company such as Motorola (pssha) can do to make their phone any better. All they can do are add physical buttons that clutter up the streamlined look that the iPhone provides. If apple does decide to make their OS "hacker proof" then that is the only way the iPhone will "die". If they want to stay competitive then they need to embrace the Dev team and let us run around with our jailbroken phones that do what we want them to do.

Bottom line. Droid is for those that don't know how to follow instructions and jailbreak a phone. So if your afraid of that then go for it. For me I will stick to my iPhone and all it's awesomeness. 5 minutes worth of hack time is well wasted to avoid moving parts on my phone and numerous unnecessary buttons for me to push while the thing is in my pocket.

• iGenius
    iGenius Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

"f they want to stay competitive then they need to embrace the Dev team and let us run around with our jailbroken phones that do what we want them to do."

Apple does not listen to its customers. That is why they have single-digit market share in the conputer market. They treat customers who jailbreak like criminals. They withhold software that would make the hardware work better. They play their customers like suckers.

They will relegate the iPhone to niche status, just like their computers.

• katsuboi
    katsuboi Posts: 99
    via Wordpress

"Everything iDon't, DEVTEAM DOES" That's a hilariously great & true line, you made me lol!

• T .Payne
    T .Payne Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Gilberto
    Gilberto Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Sausage fingers? Lol
    everything idont, Devteam Does.
    Thanks for helping me unlock my iPhone 3gs iPhonehacks!

• Phonez
    Phonez Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

ILLEGAL? Jailbreaking, installing cracked apps, changing the patented structure etc... that is not illegal then? You are all reacting like your average apple fanboy! This droid could indeed be an iphone 3G(S) killer, but lets wait and see what the 4G of apple will be capable of doing. My guess is that it will become the big droid killer. But for now the Droid is a small step ahead.

And before the flaming starts: I am an Iphone 3GS owner

• ninoBrown
    ninoBrown Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

it looks like people are missing the point!?! apple came with an original idea, why can't the others do the same instead of trying to look like an iphone. a physical keyboard will not be convenient just because it has a virtual one that makes it THE IPHONE. for sure there should be some improvement on the iphone, but the only one that concerns me a lot is the battery capacity. for the "camera" 3mp, you may have forgotten that it is just a phone capable of making nice pics. so if you expect more get yourself a CAMERA. for now there is no iphone KILLER.

• Chesire
    Chesire Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Man, I am sick of this argument. The iphone is a great product, the droid is almost as good and has the best shot of leveling the playing field. Am I willing to part with my iphone for it? Not yet.

The iphone needs to become just another competitor for the mobile web to thrive.