Are The Days Of Unlimited Data Plans for iPhone Users Coming To An End?

2»

Comments

• A.VOID
    A.VOID Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Verizon is behind in the data game. Give them another 18 mos and it will be the same ol' thing.

I for one would love to see data tiers offered. Take the weight off the network and save some money.

• ck
    ck Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

The average iPhone bill is like what...100 bucks...Times how many iPhone subscribers? How about taking some of that profit and using it to effectively beef up the network so that bandwidth isnt an issue anymore? Im sure there is more to it than that but usually the simplest answer is the most reasonable.

• Displeased
    Displeased Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

If they do this I will sell my iPhone.

• BA Norwood
    BA Norwood Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Exactly what I was going to post, and, like Barney G stated, no penalty would have to be paid. But I suspect to avoid a mass exodus, AT&T would only apply the new cap or metered rate to new subscribers. But, I could be wrong, and if so, my past 5 years (to the day on the 8th) with the company will come to an abrupt end for a shiny new droid. (P.S. - would I be able to keep my iPhone or have to return it if AT&T breaks contract?)

• BA Norwood
    BA Norwood Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I know AT&T is bad, but dealing with Verizon is almost just as bad... I'm happy with AT&T for now, but if they do end up doing this, it will most likely be a droid for me!

• direct connect
    direct connect Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i'll be going back to Nextel| ... churp, churp... Yea baby!!!!

• T. Payne
    T. Payne Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

I had all versions of the iPhone ... Said screw AT&T and switched to verizon got a bb storm... 3 months later canceled verizon because their damn service was alot more expensive... I was payin like 100 for unlimited data and text with a low rollover rate plan with AT&T then was paying like 130 with verizon for the same **** but I had to get more voice minutes as I wasn't getting free mobile to mobile anymore and no rollover mins... Verizon had great service, but their 3g speeds were comprable to full service on edge with AT&T.... I been there already the grass isn't greener ... AT&T blows, but verizon is worse! I canceled veriOn paid my fee and am happy to be an AT&T iPhone customer again!

And all this talk about getting a droid... Yeah that'll fix your problems? Lol get real

• Gilberto
    Gilberto Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Since nobody has mentioned it, you think that t mobile would jump on that bandwagon, I mean it only supports Edge anyways.
    I'm glad I'm not dealing with AT&T anymore and tmbolie works like a charm with 3.0 and ultrasn0w.
    Lol.

• delco
    delco Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Yes but we pay more then half that for the data and I dont believe there is many if any going to 2.5gb which would be half the laptop data. The 5GB on laptop is a softcap too.

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Chris Rock had a stand-up comedy act in which he would mock people who try to take credit for doing the normal, average things in life - "I'm a good person because I pay my bills," to which Chris would state, "You supposed to pay yo bills." Or, "I take care of my kids;" "You supposed to take care of yo kids!"

I kinda find it silly that ATT keeps moaning and groaning about data usage, about how they constantly have to upgrade their network, about how there are too many users, wah wah wah. Last I heard, ATT is a cell phone company - THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE CELL AND DATA USE!

And let's be honest - iPhone users are tagged with a $30/mth data plan, in addition to (for many people) another $20/mth in text messaging (and text messaging costs for a carrier are probably hundreths if not thousandths of a cent). So for $50/mth, in addition to the voice plans, multiplied by the hundreds of thousands or millions of users, and ATT is doing pretty well.

And then the ATT Defenders (like the moderator on this site) will regularly make excuses - wah the network is overloaded, wah too many users. I don't buy it - after 3 years, ATT shouldn't be having these problems! The problem is really a simple one: they have not invested in their network enough to meet capacity! This is MBA 101 - you always need way more capacity than average use! OK, so even if they were taken by surprise at the initial wave of iphone use, they should have immediately and across the board rushed to boost capacity. But they didn't, due to cost savings or executive bonuses or whatever, and as a result, spotty coverage (Verizon's 3g ads are correct that ATT doesn't have that much 3g coverage...), dropped calls, slower internet.

What is ATT's reasoning now? "Well, we'd be doing a lot better if our customers just paid us but didn't use our service..."

This is just another, in a very long line, of excuses ATT throws out to excuse their crappiness. It seems like few of the other iPhone providers **** and moan as much as ATT does...

I actually dropped ATT about a month ago and switched my iPhone to T-Mobile. AND I LOVE IT! T-Mobile call clarity is far better than ATT, much better signal stregnth, ZERO DROPPED CALLS! Yes, it's 2g speed, but I don't really notice it b/c the 3G (in Florida) is so spotty or slow anyway.

And on top of that, my T-Mobile unlimited talk, text and web is...$80/mth, less than half of ATT!

We just need to come to the realization that, ATT sucks.

• Skyway
    Skyway Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Maybe all of the people who keep talking about getting a Droid should go get one. That would help un-clog AT&T's network and help the rest of us out.

I say you should switch to Verizon and get your Droid.

• Dean
    Dean Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

Skyway does AT&T hire you as a lawyer
    if don t care how much cost you for your
    data let's poor people stand up for their wright

• Steve B
    Steve B Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

Yes, ATT blows and if they did I'd sure look elsewhere. But they and others are causing even more network problems by marketing things like new Netbooks for $29 with 2-Yr commitment! Which reminds me time to get PDA Net working with my iphone to suck even more data ;). I love BTW running Pandora while in the car. Sorry ATT but you asked for it.

• Skywalker
    Skywalker Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

Alternatives? Well my 3gs is unlockled (: so I can try Tmoblie once this cap stuff is in, I could go back to my old Motorola razor phone (: with no internet or texting with a cheap ass plan, one thing I would miss is my maps but I would just get a normal gps and it be just as good if not better, I love my Iphone and the internet on it but ATT is been angering me more and more the last year or so and I've been with them for 7-8 years, well once the caps are in we can test them out and see if its that bad, maybe it wont be as bad as we make it seem.....

• lucas
    lucas Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Hey you guys. So I'd just like to comment. I live in Canada and we have all tiered data plans. 25$ for 500mbs. 30$ for 1gb and the two past Junes, Rogers wireless offered a limited time 6gb plan for 30$ also. Look, I know you all want unlimited. But if most people get 5$ off their plan because they don't use much data and others pay more for the data they use. What really is the harm? Do you really expect AT&T to give you unlimited tethering? We have tethering. And mms. Right from the start. Choose one, extra charge for tethering or a data cap that you may never see?

• D
    D Posts: 50
    via Wordpress

I have averaged over 10Gig a month for a while now. There is no soft cap. I stream movies all day at work when its slow so the bandwith adds up quick

• Don Wayne
    Don Wayne Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

it is a matter of time