iPhone 3G Users Won't Be Able To Customize Homescreen Wallpaper In iPhone OS 4?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 3G Users Won't Be Able To Customize Homescreen Wallpaper In iPhone OS 4?

The iPhone OS 4 preview page on Apple’s website states that iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second and third-generation iPod touch. Steve Jobs also responded to a user to confirm that iPhone OS 4 won’t work with the original iPhone and iPod Touch....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Punk_Poet
    Punk_Poet Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

i am currently running the 4.0 beta on my 3G and there isn't even an option to set it as a wall paper. and i have seen in other reports that this feature along with multitasking and a few others wont apply to the 3G model. Oddly enough the 3G does have the 5x Digital zoom a feature that i thought the the 3g would lack do to is lesser quality camera. If you have any questions about the 3G 4.0 software feel free to ask and i'll tell you what i have.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Thanks Punk_Poet, appreciate it.

It seems like a bug, it doesn't make sense that a feature like customizing homescreen wallpaper won't be available.

Gizmodo initially reported that digital zoom is also not available for iPhone 3G users but then they corrected their post to say that its available.

It's digital zoom so ideally should be available on both iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, shouldn't depend on the quality of the camera.

• Omar
    Omar Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Alright, I have a 3G also, so what else does it have from 4.0? So far it has 5x digital zoom and it doesn't have multitask and wallpaper feature.

• jman1023
    jman1023 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

apple apple apple why are u doing this to us

• Punk_Poet
    Punk_Poet Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

In my opinion it does make the 3G noticeably faster at just about everything. Still lags here and there but for the most part very snappy. It has about a 2 GB footprint and it takes a lot of RAM leaving only about 15-2 MB of free space (according to the Memory info app... that doesn't clear any memory at all in 4.0) so hopefully those get fixed thats a big footprint. Also folders dont sync to iTunes and every time you sync itunes says that an error occurs but everything still transfers just fine. But naturally we can suspect an itunes up date before this all goes live.

• kp
    kp Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

How are u running 4.0 beta!?

• unreal
    unreal Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

Don't care. if it's not jail-broken so I can run Winterboard (among other apps), then it won't be installed on my 3GS. The 3GS looks to be my last iphone, anyway. Hardware is already starting to lag (camera is a joke, battery life fanciful). The least frequent use of my iphone is as a phone. I use apps, camera, GPS maps, browser, and SMS way more often (10-100x as often).

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

Some nice info there, nice to hear from someone who has the Beta.
    I'm Assuming you have 4.0 beta because your a dev of one sort or another (Apple or Cydia I mean)
    If you are 'one sort or another', then a Major Thanks for making my device fun is in order :-)

• moz
    moz Posts: 63
    via Wordpress

Absolutely laughable! Apple is surely giving more and reasons to jailbreak! Nice job Apple! lol!

• Txtr
    Txtr Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I agree. I never make calls on my iPhone lol

• Franky j
    Franky j Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

Well I'm on 3g and have abstractious theme that I'm sure is way better than putting just a wallpaper on the back screen. And everything seems to be working fine. Steve just trying to make ppl move on to newer versions. You got to love that money hogger

• mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress

punk poet is probably a developer. They can get the beta version.

• Not a fanboy
    Not a fanboy Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm not running 4.0 on my 3G but still have digital zoom - Gorilla Cam app! Apple intentionally cripples the capabilities early on so they can release them later as an "upgrade." They spoon feed us a little at a time to keep us hooked. Then, they hold back parts of upgrades on older models to make you want the next big thing, conveniently available almost concurrently. Of course the good stuff is held back from 3G, those folks' contracts are soon to expire and there is a new model coming in June.

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

insightful..smarty

• just sayin'
    just sayin' Posts: 66
    via Wordpress

insightful..smarty

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

The lack of spare memory could explain why Apple might decide to disable homescreen wallpaper. Just like on a desktop PC, the wallpaper image must be kept in RAM and be process when screen objects move against it, completely obscure it, and reveal it again. And on the iPhone this also include the zoom-in effect when exiting an app. It could be the extra memory and CPU processing results in poor performance.

• prilen
    prilen Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Waauvv - it's the most important feature on the phone, if i can't chamg the wallpaper on my 3G, O simply have to write 1000 comments about Steve Jobs is a dictator and iDevices sucks and Android is the solution for anything!!!

Sarcasm off.

• prilen_twat
    prilen_twat Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Jayb
    Jayb Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Why cause they want you to get there new release in June !!

• Macsimos
    Macsimos Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

I bought my 3G when it was released initially. I don't see why everyone is so worried about what the phones are capable of according to Steve Jobs or Apple developers. I have multi-tasking, custom themes, 5x zoom camera, and video recording, something they said and are saying isn't possible on an iPhone 3G. Some themes I use change images randomly or are video backgrounds, and my phone works perfectly fine, thanks to those who develop jailbreaks and apps that work on jailbroken phones. I plan on getting the next iPhone. If there are features locked on that device and it's new OS 4.0, I'll wait patiently for a jailbreak.

• eddy
    eddy Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

What does it matter what Steve wants. In the end end users who want more from their idevices can just wait, not completely patiently, for the jailbreak. Still waiting to use my 3g on tmobil by the way.

• eddy
    eddy Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Pardon my ignorance but I have to ask, what Is the reason a person would not want their product on multiple outlets? What I mean is this, apple iPhone is only available through AT&T. Why not tmobil and sprint? It doesn't make sence to not want that extra revenue.

• nsfw
    nsfw Posts: 35
    via Wordpress

3G users should be two years into their phone when the iphone v4 comes out in summer. Why are people complaining about the lack of support for the 3G, you surely will upgrade to the subsidized price AT*T will offer you?? If you can't afford the $99/199 upgrade, what are you doing with a nearly $100 a month smart phone?

• Abernacl
    Abernacl Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

What about the people not on AT&T who have iPhones? They will not benefit from the AT&T upgrade price and will have to find a newer model online for cheap or fork out the 5 or 600 dollars to get a factory unlocked iPhone. Apple just neds to release every feature to everyone!

• ben
    ben Posts: 235
    via Wordpress

getting a 3g on tmobile is f***n easy

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

T-Mobile are the dog's gonad's where i live, untouchable for 3G, God know's how Orange and O2 brag they have the best 3G coverage, i tried them all and the T roast's the lot, at least in the circles i move in anyway.

• bbongrip
    bbongrip Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I second the "Thanks for making my device fun" part.:)

• bbongrip
    bbongrip Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
  • Tank
    Tank Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

128MB Memory for 3G is nothing. To bad that mine is 3gs ;)

• Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

Why do all you people moan,moan,and moan some more? When you all got your 3G's you showed them off to all your mates and family because they were the dog's boll**ks! at the time. Well - things move on (if they didn't, you'd moan about that!). So here we have version 4 coming out soon. If you want it - get it & if you are still happy with your 3G then don't get it. You know you want it really because it's nearly 2 years since you've been able to show off your new phone.

Another thing! Why oh why oh why must people want more and more mega pixels from a phones camera? 5 mega pixels is really the limit. but people want MORE! Well how much light can you expect to get through a lens the size of a grain of rice? Why do you think SLR cameras have 50mm lens or bigger. And how many of you actually print your photos at native size? A native size 5 mega pixel print is huge and way too big for a home printer to handle.

I'm done now!!!