AT&T Announces New Data Plans And iPhone Tethering; Kills Unlimited Data Plans

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Announces New Data Plans And iPhone Tethering; Kills Unlimited Data Plans

AT&T has announced major changes to its data plans for smartphone users and finally given details about iPhone tethering. AT&T will not be offering the unlimited data plans to new smartphone users from June 7. It will introduce two new data plans to replace its current $30 unlimited smartphone plan....

Read the full story here

Comments

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

well theres always pdanet for the jailbreak community and unlimited data i would have to keep track of my data to find out how much i use but sure im in the 2% most months lol

• akri
    akri Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

I think AT&T sucks the big one! It's not fair to new ipad/iphone owners..and those of us existing customers who want to tether can't if we keep the unlimited data plan?? what the hell?? If I didn't love my iphone so much I would've dumped their ass loong ago! I do hope Verizon will be carrying it soon! Love iphone hacks..thnks for the info! :)

• Rudy569
    Rudy569 Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Sprint move over. Here I come. Screw these patch charges. I'll do fine with$70 for unlimited date, txt and talk. Oh and also moving to droid. My iPhone is only gonna be good for one thing and that's pretty much and iPod touch.

• Greg
    Greg Posts: 106
    via Wordpress

So does this affect existing iPhone owners who are already on the unlimited plan?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Depends, so as we've mentioned in the post:

If you’re an existing iPhone customer with unlimited data plans then there is some good news and bad news. First the good news, AT&T has clarified that existing iPhone users are not required to switch, even when it's time to upgrade to the new iPhone. However, the bad news is that if you opt to stick with the unlimited data plans then won't be able to opt for the tethering service as it is available only for users who have opted for the DataPro plan.

• lolumadbro
    lolumadbro Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

You won't regret moving to droid if you're a techie. So much more to offer.

• Crazyfish
    Crazyfish Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

This might not be that bad. It depends on your situation. I'm paying $60/mo for 2 iPhone data plans. My wife's iphone could work on a $15/mo 200 MB plan. I, however, could live with $25/mo 2GB plan for most months, however I've hit 5 GB before in 1 month with MyWi tethering. Maybe $30 isn't bad I wonder how it works if you upgrade to 4G/HD but pay out your 3GS contract.

It would be nice if this input field / textarea wasn't so wide. Actually kind of difficult to type from an iPhone :(

• TimW
    TimW Posts: 430
    via Wordpress

I'm pleased that I get unlimited data over O2's 3g UK network for £10 month on my 3G

• deadhorsey
    deadhorsey Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

What a rip off. I'll stick with my 30 dollar plan, and continue to tether with my jailbroken iPhone, instead of paying MORE FOR LESS.

• tanuki_green
    tanuki_green Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I've been a happy AT&T iPhone user for quite some time now, but this... This announcement has caused me to move on with my business. I'm now actively looking for a new phone and service provider.

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

I haven't even reached 1 gig yet and I receive a lot of emails, download apps, and browse the internet. I barely ever use wifi either. And I used pdanet but ill keep my unlimited data until i test out the multitasking when its available in iphone os 4.0 because im sure that will use more data.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

I'll be happy to stay on $30 unlimited data plan and tether with my jailbroken iphone (instead of paying $45 on the new plan).

• Brandon c
    Brandon c Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I used close to 12gb last month without even being jailbroken. This is bs AT&T

• El Barto
    El Barto Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

Idk it sounds good. I would like to have that 2GB data plan. My iPhone says I've used 15.1GB since January.

wait...
    15.1/6 = NVM!!

• Craig
    Craig Posts: 178
    via Wordpress

Yep, we're laughing mate, I'm happy as a fly in **** with t-mobile unlimited myself :)

• MzMD
    MzMD Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I think this is crazy, att is just as crazy as apple has become these days. I have the unlimited and i plan to keep it for now, but in the very near future i will be jailbreaking my iphone just i did with my ipod and hopefully unlock it as well to use with tmobile. Somebody pls get the data portion working with tmobile and att can kiss me good bye for good. Sprint is getting ready to get alot of Att customer with the new HTC HD2 that comes out the 4th. I have already moved over to verizon with the HTC incredible i love my iphone but apple and att needs to think of the customers before they have none

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

So i guess june 7th is the iphone release date!!!

• ae6057
    ae6057 Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Good luck dude lol

• Alejandro
    Alejandro Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

mmmm im just waiting until the new release of the new iphone... come out everybody that visit this website is a iphone fan.... ( im 2) but what att is doing is **** top!!! 2gb for $25.... they can suck my ****..... this new iphone better have good **** ... if not..im moving to sprin ... better plans n good ass looking phones... mmmm n by the way ... my phone said i been using 25gb seens january... ( im should stop streaming movies..=P

• Nopstnz8
    Nopstnz8 Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Exactly. Couldn't agree more myself. I plan to do the same.

• maitai
    maitai Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

UPDATE: ATT decides to keep the unlimited data plan for new customers but they will not have the option to tether. SOURCE: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-users-can-keep-30-unlimited-data-when-upgrading-phones/

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

I'm cool I don't need tethering and my girlfriend uses less than 200 mb so money in the bank for me !!! Great move for most users... Oh and she has wifi so that's why it's not so high on data..

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

Not new customers jst existing customers looking to upgrade to a new phone

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

That's not accurate.

AT&T differentiates between a new customer who is buying the iPhone for the first time (= new customer) and an existing customer who will upgrade to the new iPhone (= existing customer).

Existing customers will have an option to stick to the unlimited data plans. Hope it clarifies.

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

this really sucks! i am using over 3 gigs a month on my cell phone... video, music, voip, and so much more... well i guess i am just going to be leaving AT&T. never had a problem with them till now. They say you can keep it but last time i upgraded i lost my unlimited data and txt for 29.99 from my HTC 8525 to the 9525 so i really don't think they will allow you to keep it.

• Shrivatsa
    Shrivatsa Posts: 97
    via Wordpress

This is a legitimate question: I'm buying an iPhone for the first time on contract (i am an inter. student and i bought the 1st gen. phone on a prepaid number). I will probably use the data mostly when im not near a wifi network, and MOSTLY while using the GPS, which will be maybe for 5 hours total on average. so roughly how much data does the iPhone consume for using hte GPS for 5 hours..or just generally using a GPS? I'm pretty sure no one can give an exact answer, but i wonder if i will go over the limit.

• Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress

**** AT&T and apple as all the other guys just said apple better come up with some kick ass iPhone otherwise they can suck my balls if they think I'm gonna pay 25 for 2gbs of data I use in two days . this sucks where is the FCC when you need them???

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

Everyone pls call AT&T and ask if this is true,, If it is then lets say we will move to another carier and will not update the plan.. lets see what they come up with if many more complain abt this..

• Harsha
    Harsha Posts: 84
    via Wordpress

i will do it tonight... i will update soon what happens..

• attsucksdonkeyhead
    via Wordpress

looks Like ATT made the decision for me. HTC/SPRINT here I come!!! Woo