iPhone 4 Reception Issues: Detailed Analysis

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Reception Issues: Detailed Analysis

Folks at AnandTech have done a detailed analysis of iPhone 4’s new antenna system to investigate the reason for the reception issues reported by many users when they touch iPhone 4’s side antenna bands on the lower left corner. Before starting the tests, AnandTech had to hack their iPhone 4...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HD
    HD Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

Well, waiting for apple's responds on what the real problem is. I do understand that every phone might have a signal problem but the loss of signal on the iphone 4 is too significant to ignore. Apple Gizmos are about style so why would i want to cover my phone with a bumper. I hardly used any covers on my 2G 3G 3GS so why now.

As for me i like showing off my iphone so right now, i'm waiting on a fix or a new badge before i get one.

Number one...ha ha

• Leftie
    Leftie Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

It sucks because I'm left handed...

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

No, it's a non-issue because you're left handed...
    Lefties would tend to hold the phone in their right hand and avoid the problem.
    It sucks for the right handed people.

Anyway - if other postings about mis-aligned SIM's bear out as true, then this issue will be gone soon...

• just except the truth3211123
    via Wordpress

well i say give the phone back and get the samsung Epic 4g.Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird, 4'super-amoled screen,dlna,six-axis motion sensor, connects up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices and much cheaper price plan than att.

• Intruder 730
    Intruder 730 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Like I also posted before..... Get a case, get over it. As far as the sensor issue with the muting or hanging up calls inadvertently.....Get a damn BLUETOOTH earpiece and your problem be solved. Works great with voice control too.

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 164
    via Wordpress

No, Apple needs to stop denying issues and just fix them instead of telling people they need to change their behaviour or spend more money. "This changes everything, again." is turning out to be an ironic choice of tagline. :)

• theBankRobber
    theBankRobber Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

Wow u have seen some fanboys but iPhone fanboys are really the saddest. I mean come on, why is it that they have a NEED to tell every iPhone4 owner to STFU and buy a case and get a bluetooth? Who the **** do you people think you are telling people that ****. A lot of people don't like cases or Bluetooths. The phone looks great, why put a case on it when it looks better without it? Why get a Bluetooth when most people use the speaker phone any damn way? God I have never seen people act like Steve jobs b4 and ya'll act worse the n Mr. Jobs himself.

• The Truth
    The Truth Posts: 19
    via Wordpress

Listening to some of these clowns is comical! " Get a case" or " Hold a different way " does not work. If I wanted a case I'd get one ya f ucksticks. It's called an accessory and so is a bluetooth earpiece. You should not need them to operate a phone period. And another thing you people that walk around with your earpiece in on non biz calls or not driving look like d ipshits. You are NOT on wallstreet buy sell trade, market closes at 4:00 EST clowns.

• Gerard
    Gerard Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

When I first got the iPhone 4 I muted calls several times. I don't think the sensor is broken the problem is they moved one and replaced the other one with the front camera. The new position for the proximity sensor is over the ear piece. Once you get used to that fact I don't think you will mute another call by mistake. Also I reset my network setting and and toggled on the roaming button (for whatever reason it was off) haven't had a dropped call since (still gun shy on that matter though). Hope this helps others that have experienced the same problems. Living in New York City I'm quite familiar with dropped calls.

• What's right
    via Wordpress

If GM sold a **** load cars and u turned the radio up and that shut off the car how would u feel about that? And you say get a case Fu. Bluetooth Fu. I say RECALL

• What's right
    via Wordpress

If GM sold a **** load cars and u turned the radio up and that shut off the car how would u feel about that? And you say get a case Fu. Bluetooth Fu. I say RECALL

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

How many times do we have to say this? This IS an issue. What people are calling the "deathgrip" is what you are calling the common issue and it is. It is true that SOME signal is lost when holding any phone near where an antenna is.

The issue causing our problem is specific to the iPhone 4 because no other phone has an external antenna that you hold. Causing two antennas to connect by holding a phone in your hand IS NOT a common issue. Are you going to sit there and try to tell us it is?

Do you even own an iPhone 4? If not, you shouldn't even comment on this because you obviously don't know the real issue. If you do, you'll realize soon enough that this is an issue. Then again, maybe you won't...

• Ask_about_me!
    Ask_about_me! Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

In response to the bank robber.....it's so damn simple stop cryin like lil girls n if you don't like it then don't buy the damn iPhone it's that simple you worse then girls!!!!

• Ask_about_me!
    via Wordpress

In response to what's right....F.U. I say get a new damn phone n stop b1tchin about stuff....

• John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress

Fanboy or not, who cares? Just don't buy it, problem solved. If you already bought one, u can return it within 30 days, problem solved.

Deal with it or buy something else. I don't have this problem with my iphone 4 so I'll keep mine. I don't need the anti-apple fanboys to tell me I'm dumb because I'm keeping my phone. It works for me. If it doesn't work for you, then return it and buy something else.

And quit complaining. If everyone stopped buying them, then maybe I'll be able to get my hands on a 2nd one for my wife.

• Ask_about_me!
    via Wordpress

In response to the truth.....you know what you right reading sum of u clowns comments are funny is so damn simple you don't like it get the hell out n get a new phone n if you already have it then sell it n stop b1tchin because you m everyone like you are really the clowns b1tchin n moanin over nothing major you clowns are really sad and worse then b1tches....

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Also, if you're in an area getting 5 bars, holding the phone in your hand should not cause you to lose your signal completely to the point where the call drops and your phone is searching for service. Then the second you remove your hand, it's right back to 5 bars. I almost dropped a call earlier. My friend started telling me that there was a lot of static and he couldn't hear what I had just said. I then realized my finger was over the black line. I moved my finger and the call cleared up.

Nobody can call this a non-issue. If it wasn't an issue there wouldn't be posts and reports about it all over the internet. The fact that we're even posting on this page should show that it is.

This isn't people complaining because they drop from 5 bars to 2 or 3 when holding it in their hand. This isn't about people thinking that bars mean everything. This is about a phone with a design that allows two antennas to connect when being held in your hand. This causes calls to quickly drop. I don't care if my phone shows 1 to 2 bars as long as I'm not noticing any loss in call quality. Since we are noticing a loss in quality we are not happy.

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

then we all call you a dumbass, and permaban you from this website. MORON!
    plus its accept, not except. FUCKING MORON!

• What's right
    via Wordpress

Hey ask u must like buying high $ ****

• What's right
    via Wordpress

Hey ask u must like buying high $ ****

• What's right
    via Wordpress

1 more to u ask i don't care I just get off fing with dickweeds like u because u know it all.

• What's right
    via Wordpress

1 more to u ask i don't care I just get off fing with dickweeds like u because u know it all.

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

Really, a cell phone you are not supposed to hold in your hand. Well Jobby boy, you can shove your pedestal where the sun don't shine.

The phone is absolute crap unlike previous models. A shining example of Apple's current policy of lies, bullshit and blaming the user, the competition and anyone not currently licking Jobby's sphincter.

• Jack off
    Jack off Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I know a cheap fix rapit in black tap.

• Ashenden
    Ashenden Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Hey guys I'm randomly overly angry on the internet. Are you even in a position to permaban people?

• Jack off
    Jack off Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Brundon
    Brundon Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

**** you buddy. i spoke with apple today and they said buying a bumper will not fix the issue for everyone. it has to do with your body in particular. also they are aware of the issue and are doing research, so if it was a non issue why havent we ever had this "non-issue" with any other iphone.. i wouldt care if it lost a bar or two its the fact it goes down to searching that is the issue

• Richard Sun
    Richard Sun Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Yes Scott, you are 100% correct. I'm right handed, and i drive and hold my phone only with my left hand. But i guess i've been lucky because my reception seems to be fine, even at 1 bar.

• just except the truth
    via Wordpress

there's always 1 that falls.what a fool!

• krish
    krish Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

Yes, It is a problem. Apple has to fix it. I bought my iphone 4 yesterday.

Today, I went in to the doctor's office and suddenly the bars were down and a message came up saying - No Sim Installed. ..displayed "No Sim" in place of bars...where as my iphone 3g was showing two bars in the same place.

Similarly, in my home, I kept my wife's iphone 3g and my iphone 4 on bed in my bed room...iphone 3g has 4-5 bars where as iphone 4 has 1 or 2 bars...and did see call breaking when I called AT&T customer care from iphone 4...

So, it is a major issue and has to be fixed by Apple.