How To Jailbreak iOS 4, iOS 4.0.1 Using Redsn0w For iPhone 3G Users [Windows]

Comments

• Dewage
    Dewage Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Today i JB and unlocked my iphone 3g os 4.0,using redsnow. thanks for the dav team and those who are comments and givin helping hand

• lstrdggy
    lstrdggy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

when you use words like finkin, you dont deserve to use the word iPhone, or internet, or even computer. Learn English then try again.

• rok-dog
    rok-dog Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

performed the jailbreak today with minimal problems, everything was spelled out pretty clearly. Thanks!

One problem I have with my phone now (3G and os4) is that I am not able to open the mobile terminal. Have there been any suggested fix's for this?

Also, as I am new to jailbreaking and hacking in general, I assume that some of the apps i.e. videorecorder3g, will not operate correctly because of the relative newness of the firmware???

• naveed nasib
    naveed nasib Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hi all
    i update my iphone with 4.0 when i try to jail break it, redsnow or snow brez they both not browse the osi 4.0(ispw) plzzzzzz help me they cant browse the osi 4 i download it 3 or 4 time osi 4 for window.plzzz help
    thx in advance…
    mnnasib777@hotmail.com

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

When I try to jailbreak my phone it never reboots it just sits on the "downloading jailbreak data" icon forever and never re-boots. If I shut it down it still thinks it's a unrestored iphone. Am I doing something wrong? Redsnow doesn't give me any errors or anything.

• rok-dog
    rok-dog Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Got it figured out.

Had to teach myself how to ssh with WinSC (thank you youtube!) Downloaded Mobile terminal 4.0 (google it) and then used ssh via WiFi to load it onto phone. Worked like a charm!!!

• darckzipo
    darckzipo Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hey guyz i updated my iphone 3g for ios4 jailbreaked but when i want to instal cracked aplications with itunes it doesn't work. what can i do ?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Buy the apps, you've come to the wrong place if you're looking for cracked apps.

• emmrab
    emmrab Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

hi all, can i use this steps to restore back to 3.1.*?
    What i mean is, instead of choosing iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw,
    i choosed ipsw for 3.1.*. What do you think?

• I JB fine with this method several times. I got Cydia working fine and d/l a few apps, HOWEVER, the reason i had to do it several times is because every time i install either Winterboard or SBSettings, my phone keeps getting a springboard crashed error and goes into safe mode. Any suggestions pls

• You need to d/l an app from Cydia called ****. this will allow you to use cracked apps with itunes

• Coolwave
    Coolwave Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

Should i use the os4 firmware up top, or is there something newer that i should be using?

• SajidAli
    SajidAli Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    today i Jailbreak my iPhone 3G with OS 4.0 by just following these steps.
    it is working perfect for me.
    I have one question as OS 4.0 is the latest, so while connecting to iTunes and doing some updates, will it again be locked?

• SajidAli
    SajidAli Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I think OS 4.0 is the latest, and you should use that one, but i am not sure that your iPhone or iPod again be locked while connect to iTunes and make some updates...i also want to know this :(

• leo
    leo Posts: 47
    via Wordpress

Hi, everyone,
    sorry if I'm being stupid, but despite the excellent step-by-step instructions, I'm still a little worried and have some questions before I attempt this:

1. Before jailbreaking, do I upgrade to iOS 4.0 (or 4.0.1) on iTunes, i.e. the "regular way"? (I currently am running OS 3.1.2 (jailbroken using blackra1n) and plenty of apps no longer work). iTunes keeps telling me there's a new firmware version available and asking whether I want to upgrade. So, do I update and only THEN, subsequently, follow the steps listed here, or do I leave the firmware as it is now (i.e. 3.1.2) and simply follow the steps? Is the firmware I'm supposed to download in "Step 2" and save in the folder "Pwnage" the "regular" firmware or the jailbroken version? (What is says under "Step 10" would make me inclined to think that the firmware downloaded in "Step 2" is the "regular" one that then is altered using RedsnOw...)

2. At the end of this tutorial ("Update 2"), there's a reference to a newer version of Redsnow, since apparently, other users have experienced difficulties using the previous version. Should I use this newest version INSTEAD of clicking on the link provided under "Step 1" and then follow the other steps, so that I'd then be using the newest version of Redsnow? Or do I have to use a previous version of Redsnow and then re-run it using the newer version?

Sorry for being such a pain, but I just want to make sure I don't screw up here...

Any help is appreciated....

• Long Sokha
    Long Sokha Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Thank for all information. I like you! Dav Team!

• leo
    via Wordpress

And one more (stupid) question:
    I've downloaded the firmware file, only its a "zip-file" and after unzipping it, there is absolutely no "ipsw-file" to be found...(there are plenty of other files but no "ipsw-file" - so which of those files would I need to navigate to in "Step 6" or have I simply made a mistake along the line?

• modi
    modi Posts: 30
    via Wordpress

So 0.9.5b5-5 is not recognizing the 4.0.1 ipsw. I'm supposed to be downgrading to 4.0 again to get it jailbroken? Why did I upgrade to 4.0.1 in step 2/3?

• alwaysbeenus
    alwaysbeenus Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

SO AWESOME. Thanks For This Instructions, Links, And So Much More. <3 I Really Appreciated This Thing. It really Helps my iTouch's Future. Ha ha :) And My Knowledge For Jail breaking was Expanded! :))

• Ricky
    Ricky Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

help my phone did not reboot after installing redsnow did i do something wrong?

• mirsad
    mirsad Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

i upgrade my 3g to 4.0.1 from itunes and now i want to downgrade to 4.0 but i cant.
    i tried redsnow but nothing, now im locked in 3G-4.0.1
    please help me.. ( mirsad0885@gmail.com )
    i dont a phone now because i have tmobile

• mirsad
    via Wordpress

same problem here bro.. i dont know wtf is wrong with this, pffffffffff

• mirsad
    via Wordpress

try with mozilla firefox

• bajabers
    bajabers Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

it says (using redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5) that the IPSW for the iOS 4.0.1 AND the 4.0 is unrecognized) any help?

• bajabers
    bajabers Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

i also tried 4.0.1 with both Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5, Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4, and Redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 and it didn't take that nor 4.0

• HEG
    HEG Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

when i download the latest Iphone 4.01 file i get it in zipped format, and when i extract it i have in in dmg format... can someone help me to get the ipsw file?

• Enki666
    Enki666 Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Having trouble. Have iPhone 3G 4.0.1. and tried to do steps 7 and 8 but says "Unable to recognize spesified IPSW". Used both redsn0w 3 and 4. Any ideas?

---Enki666---

• leo
    via Wordpress

I have the exact same problem!! At first I tried "Shift" - "Restore" with iOS 4.0, but iTunes came back with an error-reading. Then I tried the same with iOS 4.0.1 and that seemed to work. However, when I tried to jailbreak it with redsnOw 0.9.5b5-5 (i.e. the newest version), redsnOw didn't recognise the iOS 4.0.1 Restore.ipsw. It "reckgognised" the 4.0 ipsw, and did everlything it said in the instructions, but since that was obviously not what I had installed with Shift-Restore, it's obviously not jailbroken. (At least I found no icon of Cydia). So now I'm left with an iPhone that's got iOS 4.0.1 (but no multitasking -why not???) and is entirely un-jailbroken, meaning that all my apps and winterboard etc. are gone!!! Can someone help out here, please???

• leo
    via Wordpress

All you need to do is to rename the file by replacing "zip" with "ipsw". You'll be asked if you really want to rename it - just click "yes".
    (I really don't understand why they don't mention this in the - otherwise wellworded - instructions....)
    But be careful: redsnow doesn't seem to reckognise the 4.0.1 ipsw - in my case that led to me having upgraded to 4.0.1 with apparently no chance of getting it jailbreaked. In fact, due to troubles, I had to reset (unbrick) my iPhone on iTunes. Now I have 4.0.1. - with no jailbrak! To boot, I don't have any of the supposedly new features of 4.0.1. even though I have the offical version. Can someone explain that to me and how to at least get those features, if I can't jailbreak it....

• leo
    via Wordpress

I have the same problem as Enki666 describes... see posts above.
    Guys, some help would REALLY be appreciated!!!