Apple: iPhone 4 Reception Problem Due To Incorrect Display Of Signal Strength; iPhone Software Updat

2»

Comments

• urmomma
    urmomma Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

wow diz is sum serious BS...so u tellin me dat wen it says no service on my phone it really means dat i still have service? yet i cant make a call...explain to me dat or mayb nxt time dey will b lyk da display on ur fone is incorrect even though it shows call failed it really means makin call lol wtf just admit u made a faulty device n give us all a free upgrade wen iphone 4GS comes out haha

• Jcm800
    Jcm800 Posts: 175
    via Wordpress

it could be - - - one of many faults.

• nobber
    nobber Posts: 56
    via Wordpress

yeah man, if you go on sunday should be fine, get a pint of milk on the way back in time for tea.

That made as much sense to you as what you said meant to me..

• unreal
    unreal Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

So, basically the reception sucks (I have compared the 3G and 3GS to other phones, iphone's reception is worse). But all along they've been falsely indicating they've been getting better reception than it has (ie: lying).

The formula they used for "lying" works in such a way that when the signal becomes even lower, through attenuation due to certain local environmental conditions (ie: gripping the phone a certain way), it drops the indicator down closer to what the reception actually is (eg: they are using a simple "fudge factor")

So when they deploy the patch, all the iphones are going to indicate their actual reception. And people will blame the network provider rather than the device's sensitivity.

Apple is really embarrassing their engineering department. I mean, for sake, how can a flawed signal meter in a radio device make it through QA for years? The primary purpose of the device is as a radio receiver and transmitter.

I think they've known for a while and got caught out. And I'll bet they used a formula that made AT&T's network look better than it is (for purposes of the iphone).

• tim
    tim Posts: 173
    via Wordpress

The bottom line is Apple screwed up bad and they do not want to admit it and then have to replace the 1.7 million faulty iPhones already sold. They would rather come up with this bogus software fix that will do nothing to fix the actual problem. Apple is the only company that will get away with doing this. If any other company tried this BS they would be finished. Unfortunately, Apple fans will buy anything Apple releases whether faulty or not. Pretty sad!

• Rusty
    Rusty Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

at the end of the day are you happy with ur iphone. coz i kno i am. it gets a better signal than my 3gs but yes it does drop bars wen you hold it in a certain way. would not swap it for any other phone!

• Vincent
    Vincent Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

What theyre trying to do is just put 3 bars all across the board whether you have a signal or not! just so nobody will complain!

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress
  • krish
    krish Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I has tried using the case on my iphone 4, but still reception issue is remain same in my home.

But, I tried checking in my office(sitting in 2nd floor)...I do see 5 bars all the time whether I use case to the iphone 4 or not/...strange..!!

I am in dilemma whether to return or keep it...because, I like iphone 4.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Apple might not care when our bars are dropping but when the bars on their stock chart start dropping maybe they will. Their stock fell $2.94, or 1.2 percent, to $245.54 this afternoon.

• Too much
    Too much Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

If you don't have any issues then lucky you but the big problem is Apple's response. First you are holding it wrong and then the phone is showing more bars than it should. That is just ridiculous. It's actually pathetic. And why the need to take a hit at other manufactures. That's just shameful. Even if you don't have any problems you have to admit the way they have handled the situation is just sad.

And to other people who posted on earlier articles that people are just making up stories, are haters, jealous, etc., you really need to open your eyes. If it wasn't an issue, not affecting many users, why would Apple feel the need to issue two statement about it. I have the iPhone 4 with not to great of a signal problem and am all around happy with my purchase but even I have to admit this is just outrageous

• Unbelievable
    Unbelievable Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

But that's the point with those who paid that much with their hard many and are facing these issues. Wouldn't you be outraged by both their statements. First they claim you are holding it the wrong way and now they claim its a problem with the formula they have used to show the signal bars on your phone. You mean to tell me Apple or AT&T didn't catch this for the past 2-3yrs? And this just states that AT&T has worse service then people first thought. To treat thousands of customers who paid big money to have their latest product as a flock of sheep is just outrageous.

• Shocker
    Shocker Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

I'm surprised this article doesn't have more comments. I haven't really seen much people or maybe nobody defending Apple's statement. I'm hoping people have finally opened their eyes. I really find the iPhone to be a good phone but this whole ordeal is just too much for me. I can't help but be irritated by their statement.

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

That's very productive...... working on ur iphone while working at a hospital, GJ

• MO
    MO Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

ppl complained about signal issues with 3gs so apple fixed it and lied and gave the ppl 5bars didnt solve the issue because ppl still would get dropped calls. Now they're gonna take that back so ppl will be like oh it dropped from 3 to 0 bars rather than 5 to 0 bars.

• sahid
    sahid Posts: 57
    via Wordpress

Has anyone notices when your are using 3G ex; eBay application searching for something. The bottom right (not left) part of iPhone 4 gets quite hot? Or do I have a faulty phone? What about the proximity sensor? Not much talk about that. I do mute people often. 3 out of 10 calls for say. And holding the phone. Reception goes down. Photos on eBay don't load anymore. Not gripping phone.... Reception goes up. eBay images load real snappy fast. How can someone explain this is a display factor. WTF!!! anyone same shoes as me?

• kristina
    kristina Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Is there a mailing list I can sign up too when you guys release your update?

• mjustman@justman.com
    via Wordpress

We r in Kuai on vacation. The room we are in has very marginal coverage. My 4g will not make a call no matter how I hold it but my wife's 3GS works fine. At our house in the LA area our 4 g phones are constantly dropping calls our 3GS phones will hold a call no matter where we are in the house.
    I really hope Apple can figure out how to improve the reception, I don't see how adjusting the bars will improve the phone.

• NobbersDaddy
    NobbersDaddy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Your mom sucking on my **** makes a lot of sense to me. Read slow and take your time reading what I wrote and then maybe you'll understand. Or just ask your mom for help that is after she's done sucking me off. haha

• ryrtjgdhjsyhsfg
    ryrtjgdhjsyhsfg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The article says that the 3GS is affected too by displaying incorrect bars for whatever instance may be. Try testing a Droid next to the iPhone and place your hand over the base of the phone wherever the antenna may be on it see what happens.

• bob0917
    bob0917 Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

I live in Texas and I know not everybody can be blessed but I have an iPhone 4 made in the 25th month and I have yet to lose a bar or drop a call. I can touch it anywhere stand on my head do whatever and my signal remains intact. I do not know why some phone are effected and some are perfectly fine. That is the only thing that is a mystery to me. I should be joining the crowd as I have the phone from the lot that is showing the defects. Go figure?