iPhone 4 Proximity Sensor Problem: Few Solutions To Fix It

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone 4 Proximity Sensor Problem: Few Solutions To Fix It

We had reported last week that a number of iPhone 4 users were reporting that the "super-sensitive" proximity sensor on the new iPhone was causing calls to be unintentionally dialed, hung up or muted without user consent. We continue to receive comments and emails from our readers who have just...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

I had this issue, went to the Genius bar they replaced my iphone since then no problems however as crazy as it sounds they asked if i used an invisible shield ( i did but thinking they would replace the phone i removed it before entering the store and cleaned the phone) i said yes and that I had used a invisible shield on my 3gs and my 3g before. The guy said that no matter how crazy it sounds every single person who had talked to him about the sensor all used a invisible shield. Possible Link ? I dont know but worth taking into consideration. Oh just to add on my new IP4 i have put a new invisible shield on still testing the sensor

• Johndmccollum@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I have had issues since day 1 with the sensor. Every 5-10 seconds on a call it will mute, or go on speaker, or end the call. I've reset all settings, reset network settings, re-seated the SIM card, hard reset, soft reset. Nothing helps the situation.

I think the issue is greater than just the sensor itself. Many times the home button will be "pressed" and another app will start while still on the call.
    It's gotten to the point that I can't use the phone function at all and all my friends laugh at my shiny new phone that I can't use while I borrow my wife's iPhone 2g to call them back.

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

Wow this is interesting! First.

• Brundon
    Brundon Posts: 16
    via Wordpress

I talked to apple about this and they said they has heard it but less than one percent of phones has an issue... Weird huh... 1%... Hmm ya unthinkable it is the placement of the sensor and the fact it's way sensitive that screws things up!

• goyal,n@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I have been using iphone4 since day one, haven't got any issue for the drop calls or anything, but reception get low when hold the phone from left.i have the invisible shield on the phone.

• Cooper
    Cooper Posts: 144
    via Wordpress

I have never had this problem and I did set-up my 4 from an older phone. No invisible shield though.

• jeff guilfoyle
    jeff guilfoyle Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My wife and I both have this problem - 2 separate phones, 2 users, and both phones were configured as 'new' iPhone's (i.e. no upgrade from previous backup). What makes the issue worse is the behavioral change in the sleep button - it now disconnects the call, whereas in the old software it would lock the screen but keep the call live. The bumper exacerbates this issue as it can make the sleep button more sensitive if not aligned properly.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

When I push the sleep button it still locks the screen and keeps the call active. Also, I have an invisible shield. I have only experienced a sensor issue once and I've made many calls since the 24th. During a call I realized I was on the edit contact screen somehow. Like I said though, this has only happened once.

• smash
    smash Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

I'm pretty sure every iPhone 4 has this problem. I have no shield and set it up as new phone. Most of people doesn't notice this problem right away.

• Kallias
    Kallias Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

I'm thinking I'll wait for a the iphone4(S)before I upgrade, what a mess...

• iPhone4DesignSucks
    via Wordpress

I don't understand why people are not considering the placement of the sensor!! Earlier, on the 3G and the 3GS model, there were two proximity sensors, on ether side of the earpiece. So, when on a call - there was good contact with the sensor and it kept the screen turned off. Now, on the 4 there's only one and it's right above the earpiece. So, people who are used to holding the phone over their shoulders are the ones who have the problem mostly. Nothing to do with the s/w. Just learn (relearn) to hold your phone properly. I agree that it sucks, but - what can you do. Another design flaw in the new model.

• iPhone4DesignSucks
    via Wordpress

I took my phone and my wives phone to the genius bar and they said the same thing. Said it wasn't a fault with the phone and did not replace the phones.

• Doug McDonald
    Doug McDonald Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

That has always happened. If you're using the earpiece, the sleep button ends the call. If you're using speakerphone or headphones, the sleep button locks the screen.

• fbdave
    fbdave Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

So if you touch the phone with your hand the wrong way or touch your face to the phone, your SOL?

Nice design.

• Corey
    Corey Posts: 36
    via Wordpress

happens to me even when setting up as a NEW phone without restores

• JT
    JT Posts: 60
    via Wordpress

The phone is a dud. Kind of like the ACME explosives in the old Road Runner cartoons.

• Miezl
    Miezl Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Apple should take the Phones back, that is the one and only solution!
    Just like the problems with Toyota cars.
    I don't think that all the problems can be solved by just updating the firmware.
    There is enough proof that the antenna-problem is really a design-problem and not just graphical. The connection-speed test is proof enough to me! (YouTube)
    I'm happy I haven't ordered the new iPhone jet!
    I'll stick to my 3Gs ;-) (still waiting for a proper jailbraik though....)

• ShannonP
    ShannonP Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My family has the proximity sensor issue problem on two different Iphone 4's. Most of our calls are placed on hold, Face Time is started or the call just ends due to the proximity sensor issue.

• Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress

Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot about that. I normally only push the sleep button when I am talking to my friend with my earbuds in. It all makes sense now haha. I knew that I had ended a call by doing that before and wondered why I was able to push the sleep button without ending it later. Now I know.

• ZeppelinLed
    ZeppelinLed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

Has anyone noticed that the volume output is also lower on the iPhone 4? In comparison to the 3gs??
    I hope apple adress that issue too.

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I haven't used an invisible shield yet and I'm having the problem ;/

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

yes that's true! I'm waiting for the amp on cydia to fix that problem

• g rod
    g rod Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

The glass is now fully tinted over the prox sensor. I'm
    Sure this doesn't help. Before if You held the display at an angle a lil bit u could see the sensor under the glass. I betcha if the tint was removed where the sproc is the issue would disappear. What a **** job apple did on this phone. Horrible design flaws.

• g rod
    g rod Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

Pardon the autocorrect typo. Removed where the prox is I meant not sproc.

• ZeppelinLed
    ZeppelinLed Posts: 68
    via Wordpress

Hi, yes I compared my 3gs to four iPhone 4s and my 3gs drowned all if them out. Bit concerning!
    What is the amp you mention? Some kind of volume tweak?
    Tks

• Jcm800
    Jcm800 Posts: 175
    via Wordpress

So when the new firmware is released with apples new calibration. All the networks should be losses off, as well as the owners of the phones, because out signal readings will be what apple dictate they want us to see, to pacify us. Not the true network readings.
    This iphone4/ios4 is a shambles in many ways, shocking really.

• Jcm800
    Jcm800 Posts: 175
    via Wordpress

*should be pissed off

auto correct typo

• intruder730
    intruder730 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Get a BLUETOOTH earpiece and problem solved.

• intruder730
    intruder730 Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Yep..... But you still bought one.

• ....a.b.c.....
    ....a.b.c..... Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Asshole, what if you put the phone in your pocket??? The signal will still drown! You also don't want to hold it from the top side of your phone, each time you hold it. This really sucks ass... I'm going to wait for a newer 4g.