How To Make Free Ringtones For Your iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageHow To Make Free Ringtones For Your iPhone

The simple ringtone hack that was discovered almost three years back still seems to work with the latest version of iTunes. It is based on the fact that iTunes differentiates a song file and a ringtone by the file extension. While we all know that the song file extension was...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
  • Get
    Get Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

The ringtone can be 40 seconds.

• CristV77
    CristV77 Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

lol i have always (4years) cut the song i want on garageband, exported (share) to iTunes as a ringtone and sync it with the iPhone, that has always worked for me

• jkd
    jkd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

install AnyRing app from following repo:

add http://cydia.myrepospace.com/Batista/ to your Cydia Sources

it rocks!

• Sean
    Sean Posts: 138
    via Wordpress

yeah the tone can be 40 seconds, but your phone only rings for 17 seconds, so 20 seconds will be fine. Also iphone hacks is getting desperate for stories lol I've know about this since the 2.x.x days

• Sean
    via Wordpress

actually choosing your own song, uploading it, editing it, downloading, and then syncing is about 3 steps more than this method

• dee
    dee Posts: 56
    via Wordpress

I prefer unlimited ringtones if you have a jailbroken iPhone 4 or 3G.it's free and you can create ringtones using it's other app mytones. after u download the ringers or create them just sync to pc thru a USB software such as diskaid to find the ringers and you're good

• Sean
    via Wordpress

well i have been doing this method for like 2 years now and i can do it in under 5 seconds

• original
    original Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
  • Inkatechnology
    Inkatechnology Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

is the songs that i can convert to ringtone for iphone only the song that have to be buy from apple?

• Abel Goddard
    Abel Goddard Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

Here's why this is better than any app that makes ringtones for you: If you ever get unjailbroken, you lose those ringtones (at least until you can jailbreak again). And then if you have that ringtone assigned to a contact, when they call you don't hear anything and the phone doesn't even want to answer the call right away.

I've used several such apps, but since discovering the method in this article, I've been replacing them with 'real' ringtones that won't rely on having a particular app or being jailbroken.

• Abel Goddard
    via Wordpress

No, works with any song that is not protected (some songs from iTunes are, not all).

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

Potentially less secure. Anytime a website offers something useful for free, one has to wonder why, (other than for advertising purposes). Are the sites secure? Do the downloaded files have any trojans, is my privacy protected?

• necromancer
    necromancer Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I found anyring to be far to limited when I demoed it. The time only editing only going to the second didn't allow for accurate editting of the sections I wanted. The itunes method is very easy and much more accurate (to the 1/100 of a sec.).

• me
    me Posts: 220
    via Wordpress

best site is audiko.net. upload, crop, download as iphone ringtone, and sync. so easy, so fast. uses youtube links too. REALLY GREAT if good upload speed.

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Everything went fine until I right clicked on the song on my desktop...I have no "get info" section. I am unable to change it from "m4a" to "m4r", per instructions. What do I do now to finish? I tried this on several songs with the same result.

• hayes129
    hayes129 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Most likely your computer's default setting is hiding the file extensions. You need to click the "Start" icon and enter "Folder Options" in the search area and select it. From there, click "View" and page down and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types." Click "Apply." You will now be able to change the file extension. I had to do this myself, and it works like a charm.

• Abel Goddard
    via Wordpress

No, the 'get info' is within iTunes, not on your desktop.

• D D
    D D Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

What About An SMS Tone Maker?

• p to the izzle
    p to the izzle Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I use iRinger. It works on all version of Windows 32 and 64 bit. It's free but will nag you with some ads that aren't too terrible. I denied it access to the internet via firewall and I no longer see those ads. It will let you trim a song to length, convert it and import it into iTunes. Then just sync and it's done.

• jellycell.com@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I just came across this blog and found it very interesting indeed.Thanks for sharing.

• Sterling
    Sterling Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

'get info' is in iTunes, but you cant change the file extension there. If you right click on the actual file in windows you can click rename, or properties and change the file extension, after doing what hayes129 said.

• KW
    KW Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I cant get it to work anymore with version 9.2.1 because there is no importing in advanced to change to ACC and only create lossless version with the right click menu

• KDR
    KDR Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

For you mac users that upgraded to 9.2.1 or less and don't show "create ACC version" in the drop down menu follow instructions

1. Open the iTunes Preferences window
    2. In the “General” tab there’s a pane that says “When you insert a CD” that has a pulldown menu to the right and a button that reads “Import Settings”
    3. Click “Import Settings”
    4. A window will open with a pulldown menu next to a title that says “Import Using”
    5. Click the pulldown menu and choose “AAC Encoder” from the list.
    6. Click “OK” once this setting is changed and then click “OK” again to exit the Preferences.

Now when you right click on the song you’re trying to convert you should have the option to “Create an AAC Version”

Hope this helps guys.

• omakad
    omakad Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

So I'm guessing this doesn't work with iTunes 10 right?!

• Dustin
    Dustin Posts: 116
    via Wordpress

Agreed, also has experience where I use cut mp3s that are 39 seconds long with no problem, but anything over 40, get ready to scrap that tone.

• mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress

I am creating AAC file using mediaconverter, and change file extension to M4R.
    and, I am copy this file into RingTone folder using SSH.

• Yute
    Yute Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hi I followed each steps but at desktop and right click on the song "Properties" can not find the name & extension section so can not change .m4a to .m4r? I also tried using rename & changed the extension but no extension of .m4a found?

• neea
    neea Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Amazing ringtone tip!!!
    I got my iphone today and just put 2 new ringers on in under 5 minutes (be sure to tell it to remember the changes before clicking ok).
    My friend got an iphone about a week ago and bought an expensive app that involves alot of uploading, downloading, editing, syncing. Poor bugger haha.

This is great.
    Thanks guys.

• Lo
    Lo Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

I use phonezoo.com, it takes me about 1 min to download from my own files and they proved a "slider" bar to have the song stop and start where you want it, you can also record your own voice and use it as a ringtone, it is so easy, no converting or saving it in places on your desktop