Things to Consider Before You Switch To A Verizon iPhone

Whizkid
Whizkid Posts: 135
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageThings to Consider Before You Switch To A Verizon iPhone

We might be jumping the proverbial gun here, but then this is how tech blogs work, don’t they? Anyway, let’s get to business now. You might be aware that Apple is likely to bring a CDMA version of the iPhone to Verizon soon. If you’re thinking of making the big...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

Well...it may be worth the freaking drop calls we get at AT&T!

• SV
    SV Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

I wouldn't switch, but I think it would be good that almost a fourth of the current users would switch networks which would alleviate a good portion of the stress on the bandwidth for the rest of us.
    Business competition always works in favor of the consumers.

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

im not switching i like AT&T and am good with it

• dave
    dave Posts: 389
    via Wordpress

I'm already of Verizon from ATT because I "moved out of service" causing ATT to cancel my contract. Had to sell my iPhone and get a Droid. I like Verizon network, speed and size. I get great 3g in the middle of BFE, where i would be lucky to het one bar with ATT. I like my droid, but want an iPhone foray chance I get.

• Tick
    Tick Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

I constantly surf and talk. As well as checking maps email and texts. Making a call and using data at the same time us definitely a requirement for me. As a matter of fact I'm on a call right now. Take that verizon.

• ybt
    ybt Posts: 102
    via Wordpress

Haha same here. It definitely is something i wouldn't be able to live with out if I didn't have to.

• Kwopau
    Kwopau Posts: 294
    via Wordpress

I don't believe that the iphone is coming out for Verizon. Not until Apple announces it, so as of current, it's not coming out. Once Apple announces, then i will believe. But I'm still going to stick with my AT&T iphone 4, as it seems like you can't do multi-task on CDMA

• Mario
    Mario Posts: 101
    via Wordpress

One thing I know is that everyone capped their data usage and I love my unlimited surprised no ones mentioned it

• krish
    krish Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

It may not be possible to unlock the iphone under Verizon.

• Hendog
    Hendog Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

That's why I wouldn't switch... Kept the unlimited data plan after my upgrade to the iphone 4, and with MyWi I do all the tethering I want! I wish the coverage with AT&T was a little better, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.....

• AntIdentity
    AntIdentity Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I browse and talk frequently with my boss and associates; for quick information relay, it's much more efficient than saying "hang on, I'll check online on my iPhone then call you back with the info". My boss would love to have an iPhone on the verizon network, but lack of functionality just won't cut it in this case.

• AntIdentity
    AntIdentity Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

*-that's pretty much the only reason I'm still with AT&T.
    Unlimited data plan + MyWi = WIN.

• JDB
    JDB Posts: 284
    via Wordpress

I can't wait for you to switch, along with the other 23% or whatever. That'll free up my data and reduce my dropped calls significantly. I travel a lot, and require GSM as well as browsing while talking, so I'll HAVE to stick with att.

• larryw
    larryw Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

Keep dreaming. Exclusivity agreements are expensive to break. And what's this, a CDMA carrier in China taking iPhone in early 2011? Couldn't be, the only CDMA carrier is VZW, right?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNTOE69609820101007

• Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress

I believe the drop call problem is the iphone itself

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

I'm not switching. You can't surf and talk; that's horrible!!! Talk about taking a step back. Plus Verizon is known to cut you off once you exceed 4gb of data. With netflix and Sunday ticket I go over 4 gb. I'm sticking with ATT :)

• David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress

Same here, i've had AT&T since cingular days. I've had other carriers and AT&T always blew them out the water with data features and phones. So V users look at my iPhone and drule :-D.

• jPhone
    jPhone Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Just wondering why does this article not cover the Network speeds, AT&T 3g and HSPA+ equate to far greater speeds than competitors download and upload speeds. Also missing was mention of the amount of data congestion an iphone would bring to a VZW network.

Great points but when you find your cell coverage shrinking, failure to receive and send emails, webpages, and chat messages, failure to bring your "life" with you on travels, and the absence of 7+megs down mobile broadband connection on a fall back 3g network. I would say Ma Bells still the choice for me.

• Eskimo
    Eskimo Posts: 15
    via Wordpress

Me too, people just need to tell themselves that what they have is better than what others have. it is a way for one to make themselves feel superior. your going to have pros and cons for whatever network your on.

• shea4y
    shea4y Posts: 17
    via Wordpress

same here. im not leaving att until they pry my unlimited data from my cold, dead hands!

• Wagwan
    Wagwan Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Re the iPhone dropped call reference -

I cant find it in a quick search but I'm sure I read an interview in the last few months with some sort of AT&T person who said that in places like San Francisco etc where the dropped calls are a major problem, they have plans for more towers etc but they're all caught up in wranglings with local groups, councils whoever's jurisdiction it is I'm not sure as I'm Australian and never had a problem with dropped called on any iPhone on Telstra in areas from all of our major cities to far out in the country areas, as i travel alot for work.

If it were true in such area's that local govt/authorities are making it hard for them to do business, I'm not saying this as stated fact but if it all checks out... Maybe its time for consumers/voters to start letting their representatives know that they should do something about it.. perhaps?

• jaysaballa
    jaysaballa Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

All make good points, but one thing that people don't realize is that most GPS softwares do require an internet connection to get directions, download routes and maps, and find POI's. How many of us are talking on the phone while driving and using our iphone's as a GPS device? Probably a lot without realizing it. Having people tell us their address while we make sure that it is found and a route is present before we hang up. All that goes out the window with the current CDMA config...

• djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress

"In lieu" means "instead of"

• ewj
    ewj Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

the dropped call is an Iphone issue and will continue no matter the network

• freddieboy217
    freddieboy217 Posts: 24
    via Wordpress

I live in the UK and have had the 3G, 3GS, & now the iphone4 on the Orange network & I can honestly say I have never had a dropped call.
    So not the phones fault in my opinion.

• TimC
    TimC Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Why would you want to unlock your phone unless you want to go to sprint

• TimC
    TimC Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

No - Sprint in the US and couple of countries in Asis

• so there
    so there Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

I live in the UK and have had the 3G, 3GS, & now the iphone4 on the Orange network & I can honestly say I have had loads of drooped calls.

• krish
    krish Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

One wanted to unlock the CDMA Iphone to install third party programs and remove the restrctions imposed by Verizon to use the phone to its full potential.

• Fleur
    Fleur Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Simulatenous mobile data access and speech communication is also very usefull when using the iPhone for tethering.

Dropped iPhone calls is a US/network issue, it doesn't happen in Europe or Asia.

A CDMA iPhone is just a temporary fallback solution since CDMA is an obsolete technology, as already explained, Verizon is moving to LTE. I would never buy a CDMA iPhone (or any other CDMA smartphone) if it doesn't also support LTE.