Geohot Is Back With Limera1n - New Bootrom Exploit To Jailbreak All iDevices On iOS 4.1

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageGeohot Is Back With Limera1n - New Bootrom Exploit To Jailbreak All iDevices On iOS 4.1

It looks like Geohot, the iPhone hacking expert who had released popular tools to jailbreak and unlock iPhone like blackra1n, blacksn0w is back. Geohot had abandoned the jailbreaking scene in July but he seems to be back with a bang. He has discovered a new new bootrom exploit, which he...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Roderick
    Roderick Posts: 25
    via Wordpress

Geohot is a strange acting dude!

• Monkeywrench
    Monkeywrench Posts: 59
    via Wordpress

What, save the lime rain on edit 4.2 best for last, or later. That way all advices on 4.2 will be golden not
    Just on 4.1

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress

$5 to the person who screws this up

• Anurockz
    Anurockz Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

Go geo !!! Good to c u back in iPhone hacking ..

• iphone 4
    iphone 4 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Same Same Same! Geo is a media **** and will not release sh!t!!!

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

I think he just lied about giving up the business so people would stop bothering him, and give the guy relax time for this.

• federico
    federico Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Save for 4.2? You say The shatter would JB devices for life, and Can't be fixed with an Apple update. Can you expain that?

• Niko
    Niko Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
  • Mackie
    Mackie Posts: 52
    via Wordpress

All geniuses are weird and strange but actually it is normal

• Z
    Z Posts: 333
    via Wordpress

THIS + a few exclamation points

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 141
    via Wordpress

Geohot! Welcome back. I was really bummed out that you decided to leave. You are awesome and MOST of the community respects and admires you for all the hard work you do for us.

Welcome Back!
    Thanks you.

• iRock
    iRock Posts: 6
    via Wordpress

THIS^^^

make it $10 to the guy who screws this up for everyone.

• TY
    TY Posts: 41
    via Wordpress

How can they jailbreak a device for life even if Apple updates?

• Z
    via Wordpress

the shatter is a bootrom exploit, this is a bootrom exploit
    you don't know what you're talking about
    this is better than shatter, both will make it easy to jailbreak the devices they work on forever, neither will just jailbreak the device forever (meaning neither will make a jailbreak last throughout restores/upgrades) what both will do is make it REALLY easy to jailbreak the devices they can hack in the future, much quicker than, say, jailbreakme took

• Z
    via Wordpress

it means that they won't be able to kill a method with an update, meaning itll take like 2 days to release any jailbreak
    it does not permanently jailbreak your device, but an iphone 4 bought launch day updated to 4.1 cannot be jailbroken with jailbreakme, but can with this. as well as 4.2 when it comes out, an orig. launch iphone 4 updated to stock-4.2 can be jailbroken with one of these methods as the base (you need some hole to push the jailbreak through, jailbreakme's exploit was in pdf-handling, which they patched out with 4.0.2, this is in the bootrom of the device, which they can never patch out of YOUR phone. they'll start producing hack-proof ones, but yours is always good jailbreak-wise)

• albend
    albend Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Geo welcome back!! With one more smart guy on the team maybe we will see a unlock for new baseband too!!!

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

Now that's what I'm talking about! Welcome back Geohot! I think I see my iPhone 3GS model in that screen shot! That is freakin awesome! Good work! I wonder if it will be a race to the finish line for these guys as to which will be released first lol!

• Geohot
    Geohot Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

Hi I'm frigid and I'm a duche this is just another hoax people get over it geohot stop trying to steal the spot light and let the real hackers like dev team do the job

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 134
    via Wordpress

So if you update to 4.2 and you still can jailbreak with this tool

• rqd
    rqd Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Why is the logo on the 3GS not as small as the one on ipodtouch and iphone 4?...edited?

• lsprelude
    lsprelude Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

thanks for coming back you rock (Geohot)

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

I'm guessing he just needed a break from the constant demand.

• lsprelude
    lsprelude Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

we all are to someone but thats what makes us great

• TY
    via Wordpress

Thanks Z. I have one more question because I'm new to this. I have a 3GS on 4.0 that's jailbroke and unlocked. Someone told me to save my shsh on cydia but it saved them on 4.1. What does that mean if I'm unlocked on 4.0 using jailbreak.com???

• Macsimos
    Macsimos Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

I'm glad Geohot hasn't given up! I hope he is back to stay and keep up with iPhone jailbreaking tools. He has always been quick at finding ways to hack the iDevices. Either way, at least there is a guarantee for a jailbreak to be released for iOS 4.1 for my iPhone 4. Hopefully this means the upcoming iOS releases will also be able to be easily jailbroken since the exploits deal with the bottoms and can't be corrected by Apple's updates; the more hackers involved the quicker the release of the jailbreaks. Thanks to all those involved in the jailbreaking process and app developers for jailbroken devices!

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 110
    via Wordpress

I googled limera1n and it's set to be released the day after greenp0ison, So granted nothing deteres Geohot from holding onto this new bootrom exploit it looks as if all of us iPhone 3GS users will be able to stop holding our breath and have a tremendous sigh of relieve!!

• Z
    via Wordpress

as in cydia says "saved for: 4.1" but not "4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1"?
    it means be careful until this is out, as you cannot restore back to 4.0
    or download firmware umbrella and see which shsh blobs the cydia repo has, because that readout isnt always accurate (the one at the top of the cydia main screen)
    download firmware umbrella
    plug iphone in
    launch firmware umbrella
    try different firmware versions (iPhone 3GS - 4.0/iPhone 3GS - 3.1.2/iPhone 3GS - 4.1) until you've downloaded all that are there, and gotten definite "NO" answers for the others.
    hit "Display SHSHs"
    it lists them off for you, which you can restore to

To restore to any of those, download that version from felix bruns firmware site, in umbrella hit "Start TSS Server", then plug the phone in, go to the phone in iTunes, and option-click (or shift-click if on windows) on "Restore". Pick the firmware ipsw you downloaded.
    If on mac, before downloading you must do cmd-[comma] and turn off "Open 'safe' files after downloading" in the general tab. it will ruin everything.

• Z
    via Wordpress

Save it for iPad 2G!!!!!!!

• Macsimos
    Macsimos Posts: 48
    via Wordpress

Your SHSH saves as your current firmware. Check the bottom of Cydia to see your devices iOS that is saved. I saved mine at 4.0 on my iPhone 4. The top of Cydia shows for me shows: SHSH 4.0.1, 4.0.2, but the very bottom shows iPhone 4, iOS 4.0. If you didn't use tinyumbrella, you should, to have a backup on your computer.

• TY
    via Wordpress

Thanks, Z and Macsimos!