Steve Jobs Responds To Google's Claim That Android Is Open And iPhone Is Closed

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageSteve Jobs Responds To Google's Claim That Android Is Open And iPhone Is Closed

Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs made a surprise appearance at today's conference call for Apple's Q4 2010 financial results and he was all guns blazing. Before taking a dig at the new tablets from competitors such as Samsung Galaxy Tab and BlackBerry Playbook that sport a 7-inch screen saying that a...

Read the full story here

Comments

• aj
    aj Posts: 82
    via Wordpress
  • Superporromantico
    via Wordpress

Yes,moooore better

• Android
    Android Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

It took him that long to reply to open vs closed, lol

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress

I believe droid potential but I think he's right about fragmented.

I believe iOS is still better though it frustrates me that there are a few apps that I can only get on cydia because Jobs is not open enough.

Now approve skyfire browser already will you.

• noel
    noel Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

It all depends on the end user. Do u want an easy to used closed platform or one that is open but it will take a little time to master? That is what it comes down to. I had the nexus one because at that time I preferred the open platform. But now my interest has change and I decided to go with an iPhone4 because of the simplicity and the ease of use.

• asdfadsf
    asdfadsf Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

Yes, sometime people like to make comprehensive, well reasoned arguments that usually take more than 143 characters.

• In time
    In time Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

He replies after Android becomes the most popular smartphone OS in the last 6 months. Not a surprise. But in the end Android will work itself out. How long before then, who knows. With Gingerbread around the corner there will be certain minimum requirements for the OS to run smoothly and manufactures will recognize this as the phone with the better performance sells. Those who can't compete will get weeded out.

• ?
    ? Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

When he states iOS devices, is he including iPods and iPads? Also, is he reading off a paper? And I don't get it is he saying Apple is closed or not?
    I have to say his voice is really annoying. Truth be told I don't believe either companies about their claims especially when Steve Jobs calls it TwitterDeck when it's actually called TweetDeck.

• Relax
    Relax Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I find him annoying as well. I listened to his whole rant on RIM, Anroid, and Tablets and have to say he comes off as very arrogant. This is all just incendiary criticism.

• MaxH
    MaxH Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Haha! Nervous he is *apply Yoda voice*

• Rodney King
    Rodney King Posts: 0
    via Wordpress

Can't we all just get along?

• Android
    Android Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Android Android Android!

• jerzy.gustek@gt4all.com
    via Wordpress

again, what this have to do with iphone hacks???

• Wolverinemarky
    Wolverinemarky Posts: 518
    via Wordpress

i think steve is right theres a ton of different manufacturers and phones and they all have different interfaces and i can see how it makes things a nightmare for developers

• Jklm@aol.com
    Jklm@aol.com Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The only thing fragmented is Steve's method of reason. What a tool!

• JP
    JP Posts: 28
    via Wordpress

Whatever steve. I like open so i can have option and control on my own device

• Monkeywrench
    Monkeywrench Posts: 59
    via Wordpress

agreed. no one platform will work for all users. its not what is better its what is better for the particular consumer.

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

"The first thing we think of when we hear open is Windows"

Which idiot thinks of Windows when they hear "Open"? LOL..

All that people think of is Linux!

• T
    T Posts: 71
    via Wordpress

Yes, when he refers to activations he is including iPods and iPads. It's amazing how he decides to comment on RIM when they haven't released much to compete with the iOS and just now they outsell them. This is all just to ease investors doubts. As his rant indicates, Steve Jobs is nervous.

• Mac
    Mac Posts: 132
    via Wordpress

Yeah. steve may control how we use our iphones, ipads, etc, like not jailbreak nd stuff, but we have to admit that the devices they make are more easier to use. I havent used a device easier to use than this, although i do wish it was a bit more open but its still a very good phone.

• ?
    ? Posts: 26
    via Wordpress

Do interfaces interfere with app developers?

• Zang
    Zang Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

Blackberry actually is a very good phone and definitely more popular from what I've seen.

I know someone who actually has a Blackberry for personal use, and an iPhone solely for business, that they wont even use personally because they prefer the Blackberry.

And that isn't the only case.

RIM did an awesome job with Blackberry. I can see the war developing and eventually will be Apple vs RIM kind of situation.

I love my iPhone, but I will give credit where it's due.

As for Android OS? Hell I can have that on my iPhone too... So whats special about it? I don't see it surviving and beating Apple or RIM in the long term. Maybe the cheap market will be dominated by Android, but as soon as it gets to middle class etc, I don't see it getting far in the future.

• mohacs
    mohacs Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

I am technology guy and i became sick because of Windows compability problems that's why I have switched to MACs for personal use, even I like to deal computer stuff. it was also same for my phone, i was using Win mobile. I don't want to deal lots of versions, now i have 3g, 3gs and ipad, soon I will get iphone4... whioh mean I pay once and i can usee same stuff with all my devices. this is the reason apple wins.

• Zang
    via Wordpress

No atually, not at all, only 3/4 buttons are standard/needed on Android OS and all phone have them.

The screen UI? Umm not really again, install into the OS applications folder, and where ever its set to appear it will.

The actual devices? YES, the hardware etc is so different for each device, it is a real challenge to make an app that works for everything, but then also what about the expensive end of Android phones? They hardly will have games/apps that take full advantage of hardware, and the times it does, what about the other phones?
    Need to dumb it down etc or make multiple versions and waste time on something that a simpler phone, mid phone, and top end phone needs, also to get the hardware settings correct etc etc.

• Zang
    via Wordpress

Hear hear! Goooo Linux :P

• iUrAs
    iUrAs Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

It is true that Android is too fragmented. If you mess up the software on your Android or WinMo phone there is no restore. You can't get Android stock firmware from any of the Android phone manufacturer's website. You can't restore or upgrade a WinMo phone either. So which is open?

• DjoeN
    DjoeN Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

I like my iPod for fun :) and my HTC Hero for calling ppl :)

But there is some things he is right about.

Try to run some decent games or some other apps on the HTC Wildfire (got one from work) most don't work on that android phone, while the work fine on the HTC Hero.

on my iPod almost all things work on the iPod Touch 2G (8Gig) and my iPod Touch 4G (32Gig) and my iPad 3G (32Gig)if it doesn't work it's cause the 2G (8gig) is getting old or runs out of memory/space

For developers it's easier if the have write code that works on any handset instead of writting 5 different versions of the same game/app to get running on 1 OS.

Like said before, i like my iDevices for gaming and social life, i like my HTC Android phones for what it needs to do, calling ppl and do work related stuff (Synch/Agenda/Planning/...) Not gaming.

• S41N7
    S41N7 Posts: 27
    via Wordpress

Steve has a good argument. I am waiting for android to become more uniform. I would hate to see android being as closed as ios though. Some of the basic changes I think are necessary include:

* minimum hardware specs
    * diffrentition between android for phones and tablets
    * uniformed updates and user interface
    * less bloatware
    * easy pay system for minors and those without credit cards.

• Dude
    Dude Posts: 33
    via Wordpress

Love iPhone and iPad. HATE STEVE JOBS!!!

• nismo1
    nismo1 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Doesn't jailbreaking iOS make it more open. It makes the phone so much more useful with additional features and functions. I haven't stopped playing around with my iOS and always look forward to what the crackers come up with!

Android vs iOS= Android wins
    Android vs iOS jailbroken= iOS fo' shizzle!