Instructions on how to Unbrick iPhone - Downgrade from iPhone 1.1.1 to iPhone 1.0.2 for the Hacked i

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageInstructions on how to Unbrick iPhone - Downgrade from iPhone 1.1.1 to iPhone 1.0.2 for the Hacked iPhone

I have some great news for all those who had bricked their iPhone with firmware 1.1.1. The iPhone hacking geniuses at iPhone Dev Team have done it again thanks to Kmac1985. They have just released instructions on how to downgrade iPhone's Firmware 1.0.2 from 1.1.1. However it won't downgrade your...

Read the full story here

Comments

• sgagster
    sgagster Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

ok so can I upgrade to a working version of 1.1.1 after I downgrade? Or do I have to stay @ 1.0.2 I purchased this phone unlocked and I don't have any need for it to be unlocked.

• Key
    Key Posts: 202
    via Wordpress

if you've already updated fro the 1.0.2 to the 1.1.1 you should still have the 1.0.2 update on your computer (i have a mac) - for me it's located in ~/Library/Itunes/Iphone Software Updates

• Key
    via Wordpress

forgot to add that if you still have it you don't need to download it again. and you can't skip straight to step 4, you have to start from step 2 (if you go straight to step 4 you'll see that it'll try to restore you phone after extracting the file only to result in an error, and then you'd restart at step 2 anyways)

• Distortedloop
    Distortedloop Posts: 64
    via Wordpress

"The iPhone hacking geniuses at iPhone Dev Team have done it again. They have just released instructions on how to downgrade iPhone's Firmware 1.0.2 from 1.1.1. "

That phrase is just a bit inaccurate. The downgrade method was originally released by someone new to the site called Kmac185 on the hackint0sh.org site, where he was attacked and called a liar, and told to go away at first.

He didn't even invent the method, he apparently just repeated what "an Apple employee" had told him. Speculation is that this is the process Geniuses at the Apple Store are using to unbrick phones so quickly.

Once enough traffic on the hackint0sh site said the method worked for them, the dev team got involved...

Here's the thread where Kmac first announced he'd successfully downgraded: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9016

• Steven M.
    Steven M. Posts: 18
    via Wordpress

Great work! Lawyer sharks can already smell the blood accumulating around the bricked iPhones. Remember class-action lawsuits against Microsoft for its OS and Windows Media Player? Since when can a corporation legally render your device inoperable merely because you don't choose to operate it in a legally-dubious scheme that locks you into a certain type of service?

• byteking
    byteking Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The battle continues...H!phone vs !phone.The best way to end this is to install linux on the !phone.Just a thought.

• namiad
    namiad Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Can someone please help me out, I am having problems with this, it will exstract the contents but then skip over the install process really quick and give me (the iPhone "iPjone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurrecd (1) Then my phone just sits on the screen wih the ipod plug / arrow and Itunes logo. Anyone advise me on how to get this working I would appreciate. I will donate etc I just need a working phone. Thanks!

• Mohsin
    Mohsin Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Hey im having the same issue as namiad. i didnt have apptapp installed before hand so i just downloaded it and im tyring to install it first but when it boots into recovery mode it just sits there with the itunes logo and the cable pointing to it. i cant continue on with the steps because i cant seem to see the yellow error anymore because its been replaced and this new one wont pass.

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

I get the same error any one know how to proceede

• Andrew
    Andrew Posts: 168
    via Wordpress

i got it to work had to restore to 1.1.1 again then redo 1.0.2

• Key
    via Wordpress

byteking & Steven - if you're getting that error then you didn't do step 2 correctly (sounds like you went right to step 4). you have to Hold the Power & Home buttons until the screen goes black, then continue to hold just the Home button. Itunes will recognize that your phone needs to be restored and you can continue along with step 4.

• Mohsin
    Mohsin Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

i cant seem to get the yellow triangle up, rather i get an itunes symbol with a cable point to it. i run apptap and it finishes the first time with an failed error. when i run it the 2nd time it just says booting iphone in to recovery mode... any ideas?

• Kevin Iwanaga
    Kevin Iwanaga Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

heres one if someone could please give me a hint as to why this is happening:

I get all the way through to the part after I use the APP Installer program twice to jailbreak the igotowned (iphone). I cant get past the "PLEASE CONNECT TO ITUNES with yellow triangle" even after I did the app installer. I did reboots and hard resets but it just cames back to that same yellow triangle screen.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Torrey
    Torrey Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

All of the above instructions work fine, but I'm still left at the "Incorrect SIM" error screen... I just want to use ATT again! Help!

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

Same here, i get past all the upgrades/hacks and I even get to use WiFi, Ipod, and pretty much everything except my cell phone portion of my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas why I cant use my cell phone part of the iPhone?

• Kevin
    via Wordpress

Maybe Unlock it again???

Ill give it a try and keep you posted

• shits weak
    shits weak Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

namiad i was haveing the same problem until i did step 2 and 3 correct i wasent holding them both for 10 seconds i opened a clock on my macbook and timed it for 10 seconds and it worked perfect..thanks alot for this downgrading.

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress

For those of you getting the "An unknown error occurrecd (1)" when trying to install the old iPhone software you're not following Step 2 and 3 exactly as written. Launch itunes with the phone connected in the dock (or by cable). Hold the two buttons down for 10 seconds the phone will turn off/screen will go blank). Then release the power/sleep button and continue to hold down the home button. iTunes will pop-up a dialog box when the phone is in restore mode . . . the iPhones' screen will remain blank! You will not even know the phone is back on, until iTunes begins the restore. I think that is the key missing bit of info. You're not going to see the yellow triangle or (on the new software) the iTunes logo and the connector cable.

I hope this helps!

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

This one is for Kevin and all those facing the following issue courtesy the iPhone hacking genius NateTrue:

If your iPhone just boots to "Please connect to iTunes" all the time.

Windows:
    - Download iBrickr and extract it somewhere.
    - Open a command line and cd to the folder you extracted iBrickr to.
    - Run iphoneinterface from the command line.
    - You should see an r_recovery prompt.
    - Type "setenv auto-boot true" and hit enter.
    - Type "saveenv" and hit enter.
    - Type "fsboot" and hit enter.
    - Your phone will boot properly.

Mac:
    - Download iPHUC and run it.
    - You should get a recovery mode prompt.
    - Type "cmd setenv auto-boot true" and hit enter.
    - Type "cmd saveenv" and hit enter.
    - Type "cmd fsboot" and hit enter.
    - Your phone will boot properly.

Link to NateTrue's post below:
    http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/looks-like-the-iphone-111-update-is-reversible-after-all

• James
    James Posts: 258
    via Wordpress

tony

when you say to "Open a command line and cd to the folder you extracted iBrickr to." what does "cd to the folder" mean.

Please reply soon

• SWEET
    SWEET Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hey what is the folder you go to if I have a apple and I clicked iPhone1,1_1 but then what one do I select after that.

• Nooner
    Nooner Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I am doing all the steps but when it says like error in iTunes I go to AppTapp installer then I click on continue ( do you have to close iTunes????) then I click 1.0.2 then it does the first step then is says AppTapp Installer is now copying the required files to your iPhone ( this will take 2-3 minutes) but I was waiting for like 15 minutes but it does nothing and stays at the page still saying AppTapp Installer is now copying the required files to your iPhone

• Kevin
    via Wordpress

Tony,

CD means: Change Directory. Do thi:

- Click on your Start menu
    - Slelect RUN
    -Type CMD in your Open field
    - A new black box opens which is called command prompt/lin
    - from here just cd to the location you unzipped iBrickr to. for me I had it in the C$ (root) so i had to cd.. twice to get me to the C$ prompt and then i cd to the right folder. from here follow the instructions listed above.

Kevin

• Nooner
    Nooner Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Ok I am looking in the folder and I don't get what one I select in the folder ( I have a Mac).

• Gizmo
    Gizmo Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hello all

Does anyone know if the Iphone in the USA retail stores currently have the old firmware 1.0.2 or has Apple already recalled all iphones with 1.0.2 and replaced them with the new 1.1.1?

• kilojinx
    kilojinx Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just purchased an iphone on October 1 and it still has old firmware on it; 1.0.2. didn't install the 1.1 firmware upgrade yet, and not sure if I'm going to.

• Jocko
    Jocko Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
  • Jesus M
    Jesus M Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

Whew!

I've had my phone for about two weeks now. I was going to wait until tonight to start putting apps on it and doing all that good stuff. Unfortunately, Apple thinks I'm a bad person and snaked me into installing the new version. Weak....But to all you pros I got some questions....

1. I didn't unlock and do anything fancy with my phone before 1.1.1 . So what are the effects of downgrading to 1.0.2 at this point?

2. I have an AT&T sim card, should I expect to be able to make calls/send texts and everything just like it was before? remember I hadn't unlocked my iPhone at all.

3. When I downgrade what happens to all the info on my phone? Like notes, texts, save numbers, favorites, ect.?

4. Overall how reliable is this? Seems like a lot of steps will need to be taken just to downgrade. How can I make sure that my iPhone will work properly?

5. does this also mean that now there will be two distinct paths to choose from? The bricked path and the legit Apple path? Which do you think is better to take at this point?

• Jesus M
    Jesus M Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

"However it won't downgrade your baseband which means that you can't re-unlock the iPhone if iPhone's firmware has already been updated with 1.1.1.

The iPhone Dev Team are working hard to downgrade the new firmware so that people can unlock their iPhone's again. However until then for iPhone users with a valid AT&T SIM everything should work just fine while those without the valid AT&T SIM can at least work with Wi-Fi and use the iPod. "

This is the part that confuses me. So if I have an AT&T SIM everything should go smoothly, but if I'm using some other SIM besides AT&T then I wouldn't have phone or text service? Please let me know

• Gizmo
    Gizmo Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Thanks kilojinx

Hi all
    I have asked one of my friends to get me an iphone from USA. However, I am not sure if the iphone he is getting is going to have a firmware of 1.0.2 or 1.1.1. If he happens to get me an iphone with firmware 1.1.1, would I be able to downgrade it to 1.0.2 without "bricking it" and where can I find instructions in doing so?

Thanks all