iPhone Firmware Update 1.1.1 unlocks iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store BUT seems to Partially Brick Unlocked

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Firmware Update 1.1.1 unlocks iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store BUT seems to Partially Brick Unlocked iPhone

iPhone Firmware update 1.1.1 is out, the third firmware update since iPhone's launch. The firmware update as expected bring iTunes Wi-Fi Store Music to the iPhone along with some new features and shortcuts to make common tasks that much more simpler. However, more importantly initial reports are indicating that iPhone...

Read the full story here

Comments

• EfX
    EfX Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

My question is this. If we buy a new iPhone with the 1.1.1 Firmware update, can we load back 1.0.2. and get back all the 3rd party hacks? guess would be important question for those for had accidently updated their iPhone and want their hack features back too.

• Eduardo
    Eduardo Posts: 21
    via Wordpress

My question is: I tried to unlock my iphone with anySIM it bricked my iphone, I restored it with 1.0.2. Works fine now. Would my iphone works with 1.1.1??
    Thanks for any input.
    Ed.

• cJJ
    cJJ Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

what itunes version should i use??

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

Someone please find a way to downgrade the iphone or at least make it work. I downloaded the firmware to 1.1.1 and now its not working and saying "incorrect sim." Someone please figure something out really quick! Thanks!

• Harold
    Harold Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I want to use my new iPhone unlocked but I don't have any iTunes software installed. Which iTunes version should I use and where can I download it?? I'm afraid to download the newest version which will brick my iPhone. Please help.

• cJJ
    cJJ Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

yer i have the same problem as harold

• Steve
    via Wordpress

Question: I have an iphone that is unlocked by this following method: I activated the phone by using ATTs prepaid service, then removed the SIM card, then, turned the prepaid service off (all features on the iphone work, except the phone). SIM CARD still out of the phone. So, if the phone was turned on using this methodoligy, can I update to the new Apple update without phone being messed up?

Thanks.

• Leon
    Leon Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

Bricked my iphone without ever attempting to unlock.... what to do what to do....

• shag
    shag Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

i unlocked using iunlock. I want to update. Can i use my original sim and have no problems?

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

Steve, it is advisable not to update your iPhone at this point even with the method you have mentioned (though it is first time I am hearing that you can unlock the iPhone using a AT&T prepaid card) as all the unlocking mechanism except for the iPhoneSIMFree method seem to result in partially bricking the iPhone based on the reports we have seen so far.

• VishnuKumar
    VishnuKumar Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

i m gon=in to purchase my iphone this sunday..will it be out with the new frimware???

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Shag, anySIM is nothing but the GUI-based unlocking tool based on iUnlock and it seems to be partially bricking the iPhone (activation limbo as Gizmodo puts it) so iPhone Dev Team are advising NOT to update your iPhone with firmware 1.1.1 at this point of time as even your original SIM might not work as other unlocked iPhone owners have observed.

The best thing to do is to wait for iPhone Dev team to provide the next step forward.

• VishnuKumar
    via Wordpress

And how to check whether it has which firmware before buying it....i dont wat the new firmware on the phone....cause i live in idian,..and no at&t...pls help...will they restock the apple i phones in the stores with ones having new firmwares???

• VishnuKumar
    via Wordpress

Im sorry for my typos..i meant i live in INDIA

• Leon
    Leon Posts: 20
    via Wordpress

If you have attempted to unlock the iphone or have 3rd party apps installed, and the update bricks your iphone... other than waiting for the dev team to come up with a solution, would you suggest going to apple about it? and if so... what would you present to them? "i hacked my iphone and now it doesnt work after the update" or "what are my options to have the iphone fixed since its partially bricked" like i dont want to walk in there and have to turn around bcz they hear the words i have 3rd party apps on it... i would be curious to know if i can pay the $250 or w/e it is for it to be fixed on the terms that its not covered by warrenty... ya know? any suggestions?

• shagster
    shagster Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

thanks for the fast reply I will wait for the dev team.

• ike2000
    ike2000 Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Have new iPhone ... purchased last week. Will activate using anySIM. Question is: my previous iPhone has 1.0.1 firmware. anySIM needs 1.0.2. With iTunes restore, how do you choose 1.0.2 instead of the default 1.1.1?

• ike2000
    via Wordpress

has 03.12.06_g -- 1.0. somebody suggested holding shift-key and pressing button. will this do it?

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress

DONT UP DATE!!!!!!
    I have a my iphone with all the 3rd party apps. I updated my girls iphone, which she refuses to hack it, the update is not worth it. We have gone by with out them. Anyways, why would you wanna buy music from iTunes when you can just download them.

• Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress

I’m running a software unlocked iphone here in the UK. I didn’t unlock but a friend did it for me. To be honest my knowledge when it comes to programing is slim.

The problem that I’m having is itunes on my main computer (G5) at work had stated that the next update to my phone would be on the 26th. So last monday (the 24th) I figured that I would cram the phone full of music, that way I didn’t have to worry about the future firmeware update ruining my phone. The music uploaded fine and everything was running perfect for about 2 hours. The phone then crashed completely and to get anything to even show on the phone I had to hold the home and power button down together for about 30 seconds. The opening screen came back up but the “activate sim with at&t” came up. Nothing I did would get rid of it, even taking out the sim and putting it back in. I ended up having to use my old phone for the day untill I got home. When I got home I put my sim back into the iphone and plugged it into my new macbook pro that doesn’t have anything installed on itunes. As soon as I did that the iphone came back to life and I was able to use it with no problems.

The other day I was in the middle of using the camera where I didn’t even have cell reception and the phone did the same thing again. Just cut out. I swapped the sim into my old phone (which is now carried as a back up) and had to use it the for the day. When I saw my friend later on in the day (the one who had unlocked it for me) he simply put the sim back in and in and the iphone came back on this time without even connecting it to itunes.

I’m following the news here and have been since I’ve received the phone so I was aware of the firmware update that was planned but figured that monday morning (here in the UK) was still before the release. Previous to Monday I had been connecting the iphone on a daily basis for a few weeks for my contact and calendar updates with no problems at all.

I have a few 3rd party aps installed (springboard being the main on) and when my friend saw the phone he said that it was just springboard that crashed and that was the problem but I think it’s more then that. Any ideas as to what could be happening and how I can fix it?

In addition, because I can’t connec my iphone with the usb cable I can’t update my calendar and contacts anymore. I have tried getting it to work via bluetooth with isync but without any luck. Even if I wasn’t worried about the firmware update I would like to see the phone working via wireless as remembering to bring the cable to work everyday is a real pain in the ass, it’s also the reason I ditched my palm treo for the iphone.

Any help on the above would be welomed…
    Thanks in advance

• Happy?
    Happy? Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

"Have new iPhone ... purchased last week. Will activate using anySIM. Question is: my previous iPhone has 1.0.1 firmware. anySIM needs 1.0.2. With iTunes restore, how do you choose 1.0.2 instead of the default 1.1.1?"

-You cant, sry.

"i m gon=in to purchase my iphone this sunday..will it be out with the new frimware???"

-Maybe if that store just got a fresh
    shippment.

"I want to use my new iPhone unlocked but I don't have any iTunes software installed. Which iTunes version should I use and where can I download it?? I'm afraid to download the newest version which will brick my iPhone. Please help."

-Any Itunes will work and you can download them at apple.com. Itunes doesnt force you to update so you can sync your unlocked iphone without updating and bricking it.

• Galavoxx
    Galavoxx Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I'm wondering if the people over at AppTapp are going to run into any legal trouble with Apple. I hope not. I inadvertantly updated to 1.1.1. Anyone know how long AppTapp has taken to revise the code for past firmware upgrades?

• ike2000
    via Wordpress

worked! If you do not do this, 1.1.1 will be used in flashing your iPhone -- iTunes will download the latest flash. will continue with anySIM.

• brian
    brian Posts: 218
    via Wordpress

If you want to choose a specific firmware to update, you need to have a copy of the firmware you are after (iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw in this case) and put it in the directory: "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates". Then, disconnect you network cable and fire up iTunes with the iPhone in restore mode. It should update your iPhone to the proper firmware package you placed in the folder.

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

Hey Brian, thats interesting, here is the link to download link of iPhone1,1_1.0.2_1C28_Restore.ipsw in case someone is interested:

http://www.modmyiphone.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=479

But would this downgrade the firmware to 1.0.2 if someone has already updated their iPhone firmware to 1.1.1?

As I far as I am aware there is no way to downgrade the firmware once you have updated it to 1.1.1.

• Steve
    via Wordpress

UPDATING the software to 1.1.1 using the pre paid ATT phone method that I posted WORKS! I held my nose and went for it! Here is the question I posted earlier. The answer is YES!!!! I have the hottest, latest Software! I beleive the update will screw up your phone ONLY if you hacked with software, vs signing up, activating phone, then disconnecting ATT prepay! Now I have an Ipod Touch, though 50% better than an ipod touch!

"Question: I have an iphone that is unlocked by this following method: I activated the phone by using ATTs prepaid service, then removed the SIM card, then, turned the prepaid service off (all features on the iphone work, except the phone). SIM CARD still out of the phone. So, if the phone was turned on using this methodoligy, can I update to the new Apple update without phone being messed up?"

• Mitch
    Mitch Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Dunno about you guys, but I'm fed up.
    First the price drop
    Then the 'faux' rebate (yeah, try buying itunes gift cards with it...apparently it only applies to items in the store, not itunes, not itunes gift cards)
    Now, bye bye 3rd party apps. I can see fighting unlocks based on the agreement with AT&T...but taking away my ability to play nintendo games? That's just petty, lame and...dare I say it...worse than microsoft? What's next apple - gonna lock out the ability to use 3rd party software on your computers too?
    What a joke.

• Mitch
    Mitch Posts: 34
    via Wordpress

Gotta hand it to apple, they know how to sell.

Remember a few days ago the rumors of a new touch screen computer, portable, new version of the newton that is supposedly being released first quarter 08? Well, this just set them up to get some sales didnt it. Wanna be able to play games? Wanna be able to modify word docs? Well, I'm sorry, you bought a phone...but here, buy the newton 2008 or whatever they will call it, and all your problems will be solved.

They released the ipod touch to sell more iphones (close price point, but more features on iphone, it aint rocket science). Now they've nerfed the iphone to sell more newtons (or whatever they will call it).

And as with everything else apple, the fanboys will line up around the corner to buy it.

Lame.

• Raist3d
    Raist3d Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

"but taking away my ability to play nintendo games? That's just petty, lame and...dare I say it...worse than microsoft? What's next apple - gonna lock out the ability to use 3rd party software on your computers too?
    What a joke."

I think you need to grow up. When Apple sold you the iPhone they didn't sell it to you as a device you could hack to play Nintendo Games (which btw, is illegal since Nintendo holds copyright to those right?). Your comparison to lock 3rd party apps on your computers is ridiculous.

They sell the computers to run those apps. They NEVER sold you the iPhone saying hacking it to play Nintendo games was a feature.

Some people just need to take responsability for themselves instead of the baby crying attitudes and buy or veto buying items accordingly instead of all this wa wa crying.

- Raist

• VishnuKumar
    via Wordpress

before buying an iphone at the store..how to check which firmware it has???
    PLs reply fast..very important..cause im gonna buy mine in another 24 hours from birmingham,alabama,,,and i dont want the latest firmware on it...i.e. i wanna be able to hack it!!!!!