How Does AT&T Detect Unofficial iPhone Tethering?

2»

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention, this month (July) I'll end up with about 8 Gigs of usage lol. **** em'
  • Bay Area CA Male
    Bay Area CA Male Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Tony... You are wrong!!!I have used OVER 150 GB's on a regular basis for years! My peak month was at 192GB's for one iPhone and I have 3 iPhones on my Fam Plan.I always got away with it, they never said ANYTHING!!!... And until recently i was still using that MiWi app to stream netflix and youtube thru my laptop to my TV.But just as someone stated above, now I will buy Appe TV to use that feature now... And Ill leave it running all night every night to teach them a lesson!!!!Im going for 300GB this month now!
  • Bay Area CA Male
    Bay Area CA Male Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Hey buddy can you let me know which tethering App you use?If this artcile is correct then it means some of them use the native tethering APN as opposed to the "standard" or "default" APN which would trick them!
  • R916
    R916 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I just got off the phone with AT&T, hour long call, I was able to get 'some' information on how they are detecting it. he was very good at running around the question of how it is done but i was able to get him a little frustrated and he slipped in his words a bit.Where the Data Services Manager slipped was when he told me that the data coming back into the phone was 'not terminating' at the device. when i asked him to confirm what he said he wouldn't I assume his silence is confirmation.They would be able to detect it probably by the MAC or IP of the device, they would still have to sniff the packets to get its src and dst it does carry some information on where the data came from(which site or service you are accessing).I am no programmer or hacker but i have networking experience, is there a way to spoof the phones mac address and create some kind of loopback routing which if the data is looped then it is sent to the additional device, almost like using a loopback address on a router, where if the destination is not found on that network it automatically gets sent to the loopback and/or bit bucket this way the data would appear to have terminated at the device.Just an Idea,I'll say it again i'm not a programmer or hacker.
  • Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress
    When you use your phone as a router it injects additional information into the network packet so that it can "route" it to the correct device making the request/response (e.g. it doesn't 'terminate' at the phone.There is no magic here, just plain-jane routing technology. As you might of guessed, this information is in the header of each packet and can be "sniffed"/"detected" by packet inspection (also call DPI for deep packet inspection) which isn't easy, but it is possible. My guess is that accounts with greater-than-average data activity are added to some "hotlist" for DPI and then monitored. AT&T likely doesn't not have the capacity to use DPI on every network device they serve, that would be a hell of a feat...but probably not too far off in the future though. :-)One way to circumvent DPI is to use a VPN connection on the routed device. This then encrypts packet content information from client to server and thwarts inspection. Good luck though, most people can't do this or dont' know how even if they could...
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress
    I've been tethering with MiWi for 2 years and only got the notice from AT&T after I had to replace my iphone and was locked in for another 2 years... I'm guessing they are strategic about who they send these letters to. Had I gotten it before getting a new phone I might have switched carriers.I wanted to confirm with Bob's post - if I use a juniper SSL VPN (that doesn't split traffic and sends everything to the vpn), can I assume that AT&T can't detect tethering?
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 218
    via Wordpress
    How has this post not been fixed yet? NONE of the tethering apps are ABLE to use the tethering APN. That is not possible, because it would be BLOCKED by AT&T. They ALL use the Data APN. That is the only way for it to work, at all.This entire post is based on complete fiction.