iOS 5 On iPhone 3GS - How Well Does It Run? Which Features Are Not Supported?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiOS 5 On iPhone 3GS - How Well Does It Run? Which Features Are Not Supported?

When Apple released iOS 4 last year, iPhone 3G users complained that iOS 4 slowed down their iPhone forcing some of them to take the drastic step of downgrading to iPhone OS 3.1.3.

So even though iPhone 3GS users got the good news yesterday that iOS 5 will be compatible with their iOS device, despite rumors last week that they will be left out, there were still some apprehensions about couple of things.

Read the full story here

Comments

• george
    george Posts: 88
    via Wordpress
    Dev team are tools!!!! They should be dragged out and shot at dawn!
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress
    gr8 ..,.. i hope it actually does work flawlesslywaiting to check out the new features
  • SURE MAN! I DO BELIEVE THAT IOS 5 WILL BE COMPATIBLE BUT SOME APPS WONT QUITE RUN AS GOOD AS LATEST IPHONE VERSION.PROBABLY 50/50 WILL BE UP TO RUN ON CLASSIC FIRMWARES.NOT TO HAPPY ABOUT NEW IOS RELEASE FOR MY COLLECTION OF IPHONES:(
  • doobius
    doobius Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    hey can i upgrade a 3gs with a 06.15.00 baseband with iso 4.3.1? cuz i some how got it upgraded from 4.2.1(with mentioned baseband), but it took me dayz to do and im not sure which process i used when i did it!!!
  • Kiwiholden
    Kiwiholden Posts: 189
    via Wordpress
    How long will it take for someone to find reference to the iPhone 5 in the iOS 5 code…
  • asger
    asger Posts: 49
    via Wordpress
    i'm sure it will work fine on my 3gs, but with all that background download and so on, I think it will drain my battery. because of that I think Apple have to increase the battery life on iphone5 drasticly
  • Crow
    Crow Posts: 28
    via Wordpress
    So I'm guessing everyone gave up on updating ultrasnow unlocks.
  • Diondon
    Diondon Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    So i don't have to throw away the faithful 3GS eh?
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Reference to next gen iPad already found.
  • Doz (help make poverty history)
    via Wordpress
    If this is the case, then ios 5 is absolutely useless for the 3GS. And it implies that Apple is finally having their wits end, which is really sad 'cos they revolutionized the cell phone system. Currently, my 3GS can perform nearly all of the afore-discussed ios 5 functions under ios 4.3.2.
  • Hacker
    Hacker Posts: 95
    via Wordpress
    OF COURSE IOS5 WILL WORK FOR 3GS AND IF SOMETHING DOESNT WORK THEN THERE WILL BE A TWEAK AVAIABLE IN CYDIA SO IT CAN WORK LET ME REMIND YOU ALL THE THINGS THAT DIDNT WORK FOR IPHONE 3G BUT THEN IN CYDIA THERE WAS TWEAKS AND APPS FOUND SO EVERYTHING COULD WORK LIKE MULTASKING AND GAMECENTER AND EVEN FACETIME WORKS ON IPHONE 3G AND EVEN ANDROID PORTED ON OLD IPHONE 3G SO THIS CONCLUDES APPLE DOESNT GIVE CORRECT INFORMATION ON WHAT WORKS CUZ WITH THE HACKING COMMUNITY AND DEVELOPERS BEHIND US THEY WILL PROVE APPLE WRONG AGAIN AND AGAIN AND IM PRETTY SURE U CAN DISABLE FEATURES SO YOU CAN EVEN HAVE FASTER SPEEDS
  • Ralph
    Ralph Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    SOMETIMES I LIKE TO SHOUT AND NOT USE PUNCTUATION TOO
  • alexsgocart
    alexsgocart Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Im trying the iOS 5 on the 3GS and so far it runs great, but there is no multitasking and i got the notifications bar to come down once but now i cant get it to come down anymore. I will mess with it more to see.
  • Michael
    Michael Posts: 316
    via Wordpress
    I KNOW ALL THE TWELVEYEAROLDS LIKE TALKING WITH CAPS TOO OMG
  • Johnny Virgil
    Johnny Virgil Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I upgraded last night. Notifications work. Multitasking still works. Haven't figured out yet how to do geolocated reminders. And no idea how iMessages is supposed to work - tried emailing a friend with OS5, no sign of a message. But backing up to the cloud currently. Speed seems fine. A bit of a hiccup when starting an app, where it starts bringing up the screen, *beat*, then it finishes coming up.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    It works fine on my end, the only glitch i get is when I try to change the background, after i install some from my handy app, they dont show up in the settings...but other than that, everything works fine...
  • iantrich
    iantrich Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Alex, I'm having the same problem. Have you found any solutions yet to get multitasking and the notifications? I'm using a 3GS with no developer account, used the weather widget hack to bypass activation.
  • iphoneHelpHD
    iphoneHelpHD Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Heres my review video everything runs fine but a few glitches in the reminders tab :Phttp://youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=cQMjxRkWHnkAnd my youtube name is iphoneHelpHD
  • Richie
    Richie Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    Have they figured out a setting to turn off the "always search for wifi hotspots" that was introduced in iOS 4.0 -- it drains the battery. Most of the time I leave the wifi off. I would like to see a proper clipboard app as well, so I can copy between apps.
  • mmmraj
    mmmraj Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    hmmm if u used the weather widget hack to activate it.. den u shud not have a problem getting into the notification bar..i used the emergencycall911 and den lock/unlock the phone to activate...and i have no notifications bar and no multitasking... maybe coz i am using the old bootrom 3gs
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
    Richie said...Have they figured out a setting to turn off the “always search for wifi hotspots” that was introduced in iOS 4.0 — it drains the battery. Most of the time I leave the wifi off. I would like to see a proper clipboard app as well, so I can copy between apps.Turn off "Ask to Join Networks" under wifi settings.
  • Jonas205
    Jonas205 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    My iPhone 3GS became extremely sluggish after upgrade from iOS 4 to iOS 5. Even after reset or reboot, the phone is so slow i can barely use it. Saying iOS 5 is iPhone 3GS compatible is a stong oversatement. I will downgrade
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Well I upgraded without thinking and I have to say that on my 3GS is now running so slow I'm going to look at downgrading! Very disappointed!
  • goldpelican
    goldpelican Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Upgraded my iPhone 3GS to iOS5 - runs like a dog. There's several seconds of lag to open applications - in Safari, if you open the browser, you need to wait a few seconds for it to display the previously cached page. Have also had the phone spontaneously reboot which I've never seen before.Attempting a restore now.Also (temporarily) bricked my iPad doing the update - had the cable running through a laptop docking station, had error code 1611 on trying to restore - plugging the cable directly into the laptop's USB port resolved that if it helps anyone.
  • lulu
    lulu Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Don't upgrade your 3GS to iOS5 !! Everything is so slowI tried to downgrade to 4.3.5 but I get error 1604... :(I feel so frustrated now.... My iPhone feels like an old Windows Mobile :(I would have preferred to stay on 4.3.x. Shame on you Apple !You could have at least give users the choice to downgrade if they wanted to....
  • PRIMUS
    PRIMUS Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Heres the big tip. IOS5 on 3GS. I had 5-10 second lag since upgrade. I wiped the iphone and did a restore. still no fix.Now heres what worked for me. I was backing up contacts and calendar to iCloud. I turned these off and now its like a new one!!. Give it a try and let me know how you go.Turn off iCloud....
  • CR
    CR Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Glad this worked for you, but I never enabled iCloud when I upgraded and have the same poor performance on my 3GS, 10 second delays for almost everything and it can't keep up with my typing for text messages - even with no iCloud serviced enabled.
  • Ed Ruder
    Ed Ruder Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    iOS 5 *is* pretty noticeably sluggish on my 32GB 3GS iPhone.- Sometimes scrolling around in Mail is *super* choppy and slow, freezing for several seconds. Perhaps more so when Mail is checking for new mail?- Filing an email into a folder sometimes aborts before I select the folder. Happens commonly, perhaps 50% of the time.- I've had apps crash often (Safari, Messages, Mail, Pandora, others)--way more often than they ever did (which was rarely) before the upgrade.- Opening Settings can take several seconds, while staring at a gray screen.In general, I like the new features, but I feel like there is an update or two from Apple (and perhaps third-party app developers) that needs to address these performance & stability issues for the 3GS and iOS 5 before it can be considered to be "working flawlessly"!
  • Will
    Will Posts: 104
    via Wordpress
    Since upgrading both mine and my girlfriends 3GS phones are SLOW, often get texts late and app's run slow or shut themselves down, phone reboots on its own (4times) and its just not right. I turned the icloud off and rebooted and still get the same thing SLOW. I hope they have a fix for it soon because i like the new features 5.0 has.