50% Of iPhone Users Never Backup To iTunes

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
image50% Of iPhone Users Never Backup To iTunes

Former Macworld Associate Editor David Chartier has revealed an interesting statistic about iPhone users.

He claims that according to a "little birdie”, 50 percent of iPhone users who swapped their iPhone at the Genius bar have never plugged them to a computer to sync or backup data to iTunes, after activating.

David Chartier writes:

This is a big reason, according to this birdie, for why Apple Store Geniuses are excited about iCloud.

Read the full story here

Comments

• chris_FL
    chris_FL Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    I backup once a week, a month at the most.
  • Travis
    Travis Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    I never did till just recently. In the past, iTunes had trouble with my Windows 7 64 bit. It would not recognize my phone no matter what I tried.
  • Moodi
    Moodi Posts: 74
    via Wordpress
    I do back up my iPhone in regular base. maybe every other day. I think it is important if you want your infos.
  • Gregory
    Gregory Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    I run linux and hate iTunes, I use it just for copying music.
  • Na5753
    Na5753 Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    i only backup once i restore my iphone, about 2 to 3 months
  • Marusya
    Marusya Posts: 58
    via Wordpress
    this is daily for me.. to much information to get lot if i didn't
  • Brando
    Brando Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I only backup after i restore from a backup. Then update the stuff i find that i will keep because backing up after jailbreaking can save things that sometimes ought not be saved... Ya digg?
  • Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    Every other day or so.
  • Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress
    I think the reason is pure and simple that iTunes is so horrendously bad. I'm afraid to hook it up my iPod Touch to iTunes because every time I do it takes me hours to repair the damage. It is really hard to believe that the same company that builds these devices which are works of art could be responsible for one of the worst pieces of software ever written: iTunes.
  • mike
    mike Posts: 489
    via Wordpress
    The point here is that most ppl know that backing up with itunes only benefit u if you r planning to havean iphone forever but if tomorrow comes out the "Super Xphone" amd is not apple's developed then all the backing up is worthless, i mean is a life saver for apple devices but they need to make it exportable or usable like google.
  • Jorge
    Jorge Posts: 125
    via Wordpress
    I wonder how much data the iCloud service is gonna eat every time data is being backed up online, and what about those users with 250MB of data
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    I used to sync/backup my data to iTunes, but not anymore. Why?? Because iTunes for Windows is BROKEN! (Tried dozens of article on Apple's knowledge base and on the Internet but iTunes still hangs whenever I plug in my iPhone).So it makes me wonder if that 50% really have never plugged their iPhones into any computer...or if a number of them don't do so anymore because they had trouble with iTunes.
  • Biggzy
    Biggzy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I backup almost every day to iTunes, and since I installed iOS 5 I now backup to iCloud a lot but also still backup with iTunes, but it's great to be able to restore direct from the cloud without having to use the computer, also it's great how you can sync contacts etc to the cloud, then if you make an adjustment to a contact on the device it auto syncs to iCloud and amends the contact that's stored in the cloud, very good feature. Biggzy.
  • Djloono
    Djloono Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Itunes backups dont work when u buy a new computerSo it makes no sence to use itunes as a backup.There is better backup apps out there!!
  • Jill P.
    Jill P. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    When it takes me 5-10 *HOURS* to backup just 2 gig of my 16 gig iphone... why in the world would anyone waste that kind of time.Does Apple think that people are refusing to backup because of "no reason"????
  • sjbphoto
    sjbphoto Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    The issue where iTunes locks up when you plug a device in is caused by an incompatibility with Windows 7 SP1. Running iTunes in compatibility mode and selecting Windows 7 fixed the problem for me... Give it a try and see if it helps.
  • Maxtor182
    Maxtor182 Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
    Anyone who has trouble with itunes is either a fucking retard or they have a really shitty computer. Throw ur pc away. It is junk. Especially the guy that said it takes 5-10 hours to backup 2gigs. I can backup or restore my entire phone in half hour
  • Maxtor182
    Maxtor182 Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
  • ybt
    ybt Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    i used to back up to itunes atleast every few days. now i back up with iCloud every morning. takes a couple min or less and doesn't interrupt anything Im doing. I've never had problems backing up my phone to my computer, but iCloud has definitely made it more convenient. I work on iPhones for people, and I tell all my customers to always keep their iPhone backed up.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Is it safe to assume that 75% owners never jailbreak!
  • Mendelbrot
    Mendelbrot Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    I personally don't have a slew of apps installed. I also take the time to backup contacts and messages through ssh/scp, though not strikingly often (mostly because I don't really have that many new contacts all that often).While I don't mind backing up locally, to iTunes, I would really rather prefer to avoid syncing a load of personal data, including phone-numbers, photos and messages, to the "Cloud", though, be it "i" or otherwise.
  • kraken
    kraken Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    Tar/gzip is an infinitely better backup solution than itunes will ever be, and scp/sftp is an infinitely better way to add content to your phone than itunes. I pity the people with non-jailbroken iphones/ipods who are stuck waiting 10+ hours every time they want to do anything for itunes to do whatever it feels like doing that day (like remove the gaps from your whole music library). Itunes backups are virtually useless too since they are tied to a single PC, and you can't restore specific parts of it. I'm glad that non-jailbroken iphones can finally abandon itunes. I think Apple got the wrong impression though. It isn't that people are ready to abandon PCs in general, its that itunes is such a bloated pile of garbage that people want to never use it again.
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    I'm running windows 7 sp1 x64 with itunes x64 installed. It runs just fine.
  • djman10
    djman10 Posts: 94
    via Wordpress
    So backing up my contacts, and notes (photos, manually) is a wastes of time if i'm moving to another phone? Do u know anything about how backing/syncing works? If you sync with outlook for example you cant always move your contacts to any other platform.
  • rishu
    rishu Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    I backup before restore or update.
  • StevieX
    StevieX Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    David Chartier clear as no idea what he's on about. Oh lets make up a statistic it beats doing something constructive for a living.
  • How To Photoshop
    How To Photoshop Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    i backup just before i jailbreak the next firmware update
  • David
    David Posts: 225
    via Wordpress
    I only backup before I update and/or jailbreak my devices running iOS.
  • Corey
    Corey Posts: 36
    via Wordpress
    I back up twice a day
  • StevieX
    StevieX Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    itoons as the name sugests is a joke, but there is plenty of other great software you can use