AT&T Adding Tethering Plan For Customers Using Unofficial iPhone Tethering Using Jailbreak Apps

2»

Comments

• SeenDaLight
    SeenDaLight Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    Great sentiments, I agree. But, will never happen :-(
  • Steveo
    Steveo Posts: 60
    via Wordpress
    How long would you say you have been switched over to PDAnet without any word? Just curious, Thanks.
  • Robert
    Robert Posts: 146
    via Wordpress
    Of course we could argue the proverbial, its my data I should use it how I want to, but lets be real. It dosent mattter how it presented to you (data plans), past, present, or future, these major companies like AT&T are gonna change the rules in the middle of the game, and lets face it, its their football and we cant go home with it. I had this issue before, read up on it here on iphonehacks, and took others advice. I called, complained a little, acted dumb, flirted with the woman, asked if the flag could be taken off, and voila, problem solved for now.I can only think that the only reason I got caught was I went to the AT&T website to look at upgrading my wifes phone. A week or so after that, I got the email - then the text a week later after I ignored it.I have been using my wi for over a year because the building I work in has no phone or data lines. Its the only way I can access my online outlook box. Checking my data useage after the notification shown that there wasnt any signifigant changes, all months were under 3G.SOooooo.....while my rant may have been my personal opus, I hope it can do someone some good. We can threaten to go to another carrier but as they say the grass isnt always greener on the other side. Until then, keep JBing and mywing til the catch you and enjoy the ride.
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress
    I use tethering once in a while on my iPad to watch Yankee games. But even before I got a iPad the send me a letter. Cause when I got my sling box I used 6 gb. Bs I have unlimited for a reason. Ps for people who don't know sling box allows u to watch ur cable from ur home on ur iPhone.. I have. Son n that's a life saver keeping him entertained.. F**k AT&T once sprint gets iPhone or 3G Internet work for other carriers I am out.. For $30 I should us it how I like.. My Verizon fils I 30 n it's unlimited so was the big deal..
  • SteveB
    SteveB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Been using MyWi for over a year. I hardly ever use it and when I did it was for my laptop to RDP to servers at work when I'm on call, but over the past month or so I had begun to use it when I wanted to watch Netflix at work, but still way less than 1GB. I got a text from ATT last week saying "Did you know tethering your Smartphone to a computer requires a tethering plan? Pls call for details or visit att.com/dataplans" I also received an email with more detail and stating "If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB after August 7, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan."I called and acted dumb and she asked specificly asked if I had ever heard of MyWi and if I used my laptop to watch Netflix with my phone attached (I used the USB tether). This makes me think they could just be looking at the traffic and noticing people aren't using the Netflix apps made for iDevices and maybe red flagging things like Silverlight and Flash? Just a theory and was wondering if anyone else had them ask specifically like that.Keep up the good fight. I personally believe if I'm paying for it I should be able to use it how I want, and if that means moving to Sprint when my contract runs out just so they can screw me over later down the road at least I might get a few years of them allowing true unlimited.Keep up the community sorry so long, but wanted to post details for everyone.BTW I'm downloading PDAnet to see if they call me out on that and I'll let ya know if they do.
  • Grime
    Grime Posts: 216
    via Wordpress
    Don't understand your reasoning, I have At&t dsl broadband, and it just so happens that it's unlimited. I pay for unlimited, that's what I expect to receive. Applying your logic, you're saying that I shouldn't expect unlimited data for my dsl? Ludicrous!I'm tired of people defending At&t, they advertise constantly about how they're expanding their network, at the same time they're actively restricting it, which makes absolutely no sense at all. I'll be switching over just as soon as my contract ends. At&t's the most expensive of all the carriers, they nickle and dime you for every service, its absolutely pathetic, screw At&t!
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Oh no, that is not such a good idea. Some companies openly offer you free teetering.
  • Sai Soe Aung
    Sai Soe Aung Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
  • IXLR8
    IXLR8 Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    SAme for me, MIWI = you will get caught. So far, with the new PDA.net feature that hides bandwidth usage, I have been tethering with no calls, emails or texts. As I understand it, when you tether, this send anonymous data to the cells and that how they know you are tethering, They knew, what phone number was tethering and they know the date and time. I manage a corporate account t with 15 lines and they contacted me to give me an option of a plan. I told them no thanks and just stopped using it. I am also grandfathered to the unlimited plan. When PDA.net came out, with the new hide usage feature, I use it 2 - 3 times a week and U have not heard another word from them. The feature is supposed to trick the the data is still coming from the iPhone. Guess it works. Hopefully MIWI, will pick this feature up because I paid 20 for it and like it better then PDA.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    The people who are getting caught and penalized are the MyWI and PDAnet users. Clearly AT&T is detecting the use of those applications through technical means such as APN access. That's why I edited my carrier settings to direct all traffic over the phone's data connection so it just appears as web surfing or streaming. Deleted the tethering APN info all together. So far, so good.
  • StevenB
    StevenB Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Could you provide some info on how this is done or point us to a walkthrough? I would be very intesrested in trying this out.
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 585
    via Wordpress