Unlocked iPhone 4S Already Available In The U.S.?

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageUnlocked iPhone 4S Already Available In The U.S.?

According to the fine print on Apple's US website, the unlocked and contract free iPhone 4S were supposed to be available only in November.

However, 9 to 5 Mac reports that the contract-free GSM iPhone 4S that Apple is selling are already unlocked and not locked to AT&T's network.

9 to 5 Mac reports:

Select Apple Stores in the United States have begun selling contract-free versions of the iPhone 4S, which our friend Steven Troughton-Smith was able to both verify and purchase.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Crazy Asylum
    Crazy Asylum Posts: 23
    via Wordpress
    Does the iPhone 4S work on T-mobiles "4G" network? Cause that might be a deal breaker for me to switch from AT&T..
  • mickey
    mickey Posts: 54
    via Wordpress
    I'm actually wondering the same thing. Can anyone clarify if the iPhone 4S works with t-mobile's 3G /4G network? I would purchase one right away if it does...thanks in advance :D
  • Abel
    Abel Posts: 183
    via Wordpress
    I've seen that it doesn't. Just Edge on T-Mo.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    The iPhone wasn't built for 4G speeds. I highly doubt it will work with T-Mobile's 4G Internet... Sorry
  • Rob
    Rob Posts: 314
    via Wordpress
    Hi I can verify this story, I bought one contract free in the upper westside apple store in NYC. I activated the phone in store using an international UK SIM. Phone unlocked straight away. You must NOT turn on the phone with the AT&T sim in during activation as it will lock it to that network. Any questions let me know.
  • Amit
    Amit Posts: 40
    via Wordpress
    when i enter "iphonehacks.com" i get a request for a username and password by "http://dev.iphonehacks.com"-please fix this
  • welbo
    welbo Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    What the heck happened to iphonehacks.com? The site asked for a password, then when it finally started working, it's all different! You should tell us if you are going to do an upgrade. I thout you got hacked.
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    Sorry about that, hope you like the new look.
  • Iphoneuser
    Iphoneuser Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    I use to always come to this site but theres no more news about jail breaking/unlocking, but that isn't your fault and PLEASE TAKE OFF THAT HUGE ADVERTISEMENT FROM POPPING UP ON MY WHOLE SCREEN EVERY TIME I GET ON HERE ITS SO ANNOYING. Thanks.
  • Fauji
    Fauji Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    I'm not sure if the Sprint version is truly unlocked.. It might be unlocked for non-US sim card. I tried both T-Mobile and at&t micro sims in my friends 4S (sprint) and it reboots the phone and shows the activation screen and then an error saying the Phone can only be used with a compatible SIM.
  • Rob
    via Wordpress
    You can only unlock the AT&T version in this way.
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 153
    via Wordpress
    so my understanding after i bought i4s and setup with whatever carrier at first setup I'm locked to that carrier right? So this means the new i4s is unlocked for any carrier right? pls verify iPhonehacks or anyone who expert on this thanks
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    What about unlocking out of contract iPhone 4s
  • Rob
    via Wordpress
    Lee, thats half right. If you buy the AT&T phone and activate with another sim you unlock it to ALL gsm networks permanently. If activate it with the AT&T sim that came with it, it will lock it to AT&T and lose the chance to factory unlock it. This does not work for sprint and Verizon phones...
  • Kreo
    Kreo Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hi, I just called the apple store in upper westside, they said they don't have it. Could it be a mistake they made?
  • EZ-Hacker
    EZ-Hacker Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    So how could you get att phone without activating in the store.. can you tell the store to not activate it? or is there a way?
  • Rob
    via Wordpress
    Yes, I just asked for a device only. 750 usd for the 32gb
  • Ellen
    Ellen Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    So if I activate it with mt tmobile sim and it'll be ok?Thanks for your help
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress
    Hi, I just called my local apple store. They still said no for off contract phone sale. How come you can purchase a off contract iphone4S in NYC? Unless they have different policy.
  • Ray
    Ray Posts: 121
    via Wordpress
    Hi Rob,I called another apple store in the city, they said they can sell locked iphone. Is it the same one that you refer to? If that's the case, as long as you plug another sim there to do the activation process, you will have it unlock permanently to travel around the world?Please advice
  • SeenDaLight
    SeenDaLight Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    NO, T-mo USA uses different 3G frequencies than the rest of the world
  • KingRichard
    KingRichard Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Confusing... I try on Apple Store in Minnesota and they keep saying that Apple Store will not carry any unlock/no contract until November... Soooo can anybody confirm about the where about this so Called No Contract iPhone 4S?
  • Fauji
    Fauji Posts: 18
    via Wordpress
    I do believe some (may be many) stores were just entering information into their systems and letting the customers go home and do the final activation at home to save time / long lines.. too many customers waiting.. etc.
  • Rob
    via Wordpress
    Hi Ray, hope you've had luck finding the phone. Literally, I joined a queue to buy just the phone device only. I paid for it, no setup questions, opened box myself put in my UK SIM, turned it on, and activated it in store using their free wifi. No issues, unlocked straight away. There were dozens of people buying phones in this way, many of which destined to go to be sold in China the people in the queue were telling me, buying up to two each. There was another much longer queue for people upgrading/new contracts.
  • ItsyourBoy
    ItsyourBoy Posts: 83
    via Wordpress
    Off topic but any word on iPhone 4s jailbreak ?
  • Prckybgd
    Prckybgd Posts: 9
    via Wordpress
    Should we ask ATT to unlock our iPhones after we pay off contract?I thinks that would be OK BC we pay full price of iPhone thru 24month contract, right?
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    I have bought no-contract iPhone from Apple Store in NJ
  • Keep up the good work Adim
    via Wordpress
    Shut up! It's there for a reason dumb ass. How is the admin gonna pay for his time, server fees, and misc bills? Smart ass. Stfu and don't com back if you don't like the pop up advertising. It does not bother me cuz I can just click the little circle with the x on it. And wha la it goes away and does not comme back.
  • Enrico
    Enrico Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    So I'm wondering what happens if you buy an iPhone 4S ON CONTRACT and try the same steps of removing the ATT SIM card and placing in the foreign SIM card. I'm guessing iTunes checks to see if the iPhone 4S was sold on contract via IMEI but it's still an interesting thing for someone to try.Obviously the lock is not part of the phone itself, initially, because the Apple Store is pulling the phones from the same ATT GSM stock and iTunes is the one deciding if it gets to be unlocked or not (at first plug-in)..
  • Piyansh
    Piyansh Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    Where did you buy it from? Which shop@iPhonehacks Can you please confirm this rumour. I heard Apple's ATT iphone 4s is unlocked and gets locked only when you insert an ATT card into it. However, if you put any other UK sim into it the phones show up unlocked on iTunes