iPhone Tips & Tricks: Tips to boost iPhone Signal Strength

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhone Tips & Tricks: Tips to boost iPhone Signal Strength

One of the complaints from many iPhone users especially after iPhone firmware 1.1.3 has been the low and/or fluctuating signal strength resulting in poor reception and dropped calls thus leading to a frustrating experience for iPhone owners. If you are one of those users who is facing such an issue...

Read the full story here

Comments

• CerealKiller
    CerealKiller Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    Options

Once again.

For those having trouble with activation and getting service, deactivate your iPhone using independence, then open iTunes and your phone with show up on the side bar, then on your iPhone it will say iPhone activated, and there you go! Thanks everyone for everything!

• CaGeDRuBy
    CaGeDRuBy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

im still so frustrated..im going to try getting it upgraded to 2.0...but if its an unlocked phone will apple still exchange it for a new one?

• kelly
    kelly Posts: 22
    via Wordpress
    Options

Those 'signal booster' stickers are just a big rip-off. I can't believe that 'iphoneHacks.com' doesn't know that.

Are you guys new?

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress
    Options

Uh, let's see here CagedRuby.. A signal booster is a hoax right? So taking a signal from outside a thick-walled building, amplifying the signal, and re-directing it throughout the building/room (depending on how powerful of an antenna purchased) is a rip-off? Show me your proof. I set up a $2,000 repeater for my office building (everyone uses ATT on our corporate plan) and I have full 3G bars EVERYWHERE inside. Hell, I walk outside and I only have 3-4 bars of 3G.

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 238
    via Wordpress
    Options

Did not realize poster's names are on the bottom. I apologize cagedruby. I should've known a woman was trying to prove a point without any knowledge or experience or the situation.

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress
    Options

Eric, based on my read of this post, it is you that has demonstrated ignorance. I believe Kelly is referring to one of the "signal boosting" aluminum foil/stickers that can be purchased for $2.00 at your local WalMart and not a 2K signal repeater. - Your second post removed all doubt of your ignorance.

• iMan
    iMan Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

This company has a signal booster for the iphone that you stick on the back, I paid 19 bucks for it and it was worth every penny my bars went from 1 to 4 in the house. you can buy them at www.i-tena.com there is also a video of the demenstration and they have a 100% money back guarentee so what do you have to lose

• Christopher
    Christopher Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    Options

iman:: do people actually buy into such an obvious (and obnoxious) advertisement

• Christopher
    Christopher Posts: 34
    via Wordpress
    Options

iman:: do people actually buy into such an obvious (and obnoxious) advertisement

• Hussein EROL
    Hussein EROL Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    Options
  • Corky
    Corky Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

If none of the tricks given above work, in boosting the signal strength, it is always worth asking ATT for a new SIM card. Many times your SIM card has small dents/scratched and such which might prevent it from making good contact with the phone. A newer SIM card should take care of that.

Just a thought and yes it worked for me.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    Options

Thanks Corky for that tip!

• urherenow
    urherenow Posts: 24
    via Wordpress
    Options

So... am I to believe that the iPhone doesn't have its own antenna, and the SIMCARD acts as an antenna?

If that's not the case then a poor simcard connection would have nothing to do with signal strength.

• iRippedOff
    iRippedOff Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    Options

I-tena does NOT work...
    Don't buy it

• anonymous
    anonymous Posts: 106
    via Wordpress
    Options

Thanks for this thread. I turned off the 3G network and now I get a signal in my apartment. Somehow it seems that phone reception is tied in to the 3G network, and when I use 3G I get no reception. When 3G is turned off, I get 4/5 bars. Stupid, but that's how it is.

• philipj
    philipj Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

just to let everyone know the zboost WORKS. i bought it at fry's and it brought 3 bars into my whole house where i previously had NO SERVICE ! ! ! ! !i'm so happy, and can't believe it.

however, i still experience dropped calls sometimes. and text messages aren't 100% either, they lag and service drops at times.

however, it was well wort the 200 bucks.

• melodie
    melodie Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Holy cow...how odd, but that really did work! I guess it's trying to pull off a 3G tower right? And since I dont have a 3G tower in my area it isn't working.
    How did people survive without the internet? ;)

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 267
    via Wordpress
    Options

After reading this, I also turned of the 3G network, and almost immediately I went from 1 bar to 4 bars...then it dropped. Then I thought to see what happens if I reboot.
    Still am not getting a great signal, but, at least it is now consistently at 2.

• fjafri
    fjafri Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

"Signal Fluctuation - Fundamental Design Flaw 3GS"
    by fjafri - 8/22/09 10:49 AM

I don't if this applies to the 3G model as well but I have discovered what appears to be a very fundamental design flaw. Ever since I bought the 3GS I noticed that the signal strength fluctuated, frequently fluctuating between a full 5 bars and a 1 bar or nothing. I tried to find the answer to this problem on various forums with some weird explanations like attaching a USB cable or a scotch tape to the sim. Nothing I tried improved this. I noticed that it seems to drop just when you made a call and recovered immediately after the call.

This made me wonder if it had anything to do with how the phone was being held. Some users were saying that two identical units would report different signal strengths at the same location in the same network.

Anyway after a lot of experimenting I discovered that the iPhone 3GS appears to be extremely sensitive to being held on the lower 1/3rd part of the handset. Holding the phone in the top half recovers a full signal within a few seconds (15/20 secs)!!!!

You can try this yourself. Putting the phone down on the table or picking it ensuring the bottom half remains uncovered seems to work. Covering the bottom half starts to drop the signal.

The design flaw is that the receiving antenna should be placed at the top of the phone which is least likely to be covered when held. Either way it's a flaw that Apple should recognize and fix. Other handhelds don't seem to suffer from this characteristic.

• viktor
    viktor Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options

The same issue is with new Nokia phones (E75, E52, E71). The antenna is located in the bottom of the phone so while talking the antenna is covered and signal drops down.

• John Sawyer
    John Sawyer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

All models of the iPhone, from the first to the 3GS, have their antennas (both cellular phone and wifi) in their lower portion. Maybe Apple did this to reduce the radio wave signal strength that enters your head. Holding all iPhone models by their upper portion, thus not blocking the antennas, can improve the iPhone's transmission and reception in low signal strength situations. External antenna add-ons can help, because their antenna is not only better than the iPhone's built-in antenna, but also because the external antenna is located higher up, above the earpiece.

• P.J
    P.J Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

I had a signal issue, it would go up and down and not let me make calls. I found that re setting the network settings helped right away!

• Fbannister@protechs.co.uk
    via Wordpress
    Options

Hi, thanks for the tip of holding your phone at the top instead at the bottom. I tried you experiment and it works! I find it so annoying as I purchased the 3gs and my sister purchased the less expensive 3g and she has no problem with signal strength yet I struggle all the time! It also means I cannot use the cover I purchased for it. So annoying. Fiona

• dvdtoiphone4
    dvdtoiphone4 Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

Im sure this is useful for my iphone 4, thanx a bundle

• Amber205a
    Amber205a Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

I know this thread is old but for some reason reading eric's post just flew all over me (I should have know A WOMEN was trying to prove.....blah blah a women???? WTF we can't help u have abandonment issues with ur mother or whatever made u a women hating pig but save the abuse for ur wife who I totally feel sorry for u male pig

• Ron King
    Ron King Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    The iPhone 3G has been nothing but a disappointment. I lose my signal in my house, (I might add, I got rid of my landline when I purchased the iPhone), so now I can neither receive or make calls in my home. There are very few places where I have a strong signal. I have done everything suggested from the Apple Store in order to resolve the signal problem, to no avail. I will try through Apple one more time to correct the problem, and then I will return to my Blackberry where I never experienced these problems. The iPhone is alot of hype, without much to back it up. Instead of continually bringing out new versions, why not correct the ones that are already in service and are a piece of junk.
  • saikumar
    saikumar Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    hi frnds,this is saikumar frm india.i had an apple 3g iphone with 16mb.i had signal problem with my iphone alot.am facing a lot of problem with this...plz any one can give good sugesstions to improve the signal.as soon as possible.....
  • Robbie
    Robbie Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Options
    hi,the antenna on the 3g and 3gs are on the underside of the charging dock which then connects to the board via a pin connector which is making a connection to the bezel(metal band around the iphone)if you lift the screen carefully you will see the piece of metal connecting to the bezel,if you make sure these are clean and bare making a good connection it should improve signal.the pin connection is located under the board just before the first screw which say do not remove.
  • Robbie
    Robbie Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Options
    the 3gs connects slightly different.it connects the antenna via a cable with the same push fit connector as the wifi at the other end of the board.if you lift the screen carefully and push down on the connector you will see a vast improvement straight away.then same as 3g make sure the metal from the board is touching the bezel and if you scrape the chrome away to bare metal even better.I build,repair and program iphones
  • Suprcat
    Suprcat Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    All I can say is try Opendns.com and use there dns settings and domain in your iPhone and open a free account and you will see a pages load like you never saw. Good luck :)