AT&T Changes Throttling Policy; Will Throttle Unlimited Users After 3GB of Monthly Data Usage

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T Changes Throttling Policy; Will Throttle Unlimited Users After 3GB of Monthly Data Usage

Last week, an iPhone user was awarded $850 in throttling case against AT&T. At that time, we had mentioned that the court ruling could have serious consequences for AT&T as it could pave the way for more lawsuits against AT&T or at least force AT&T to stop throttling unlimited data plan subscribers. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• hxclos
    hxclos Posts: 353
    via Wordpress
    That's cool. Sprint offers an unlimited plan and they have a free live TV app. I know where I'm going to buy the iPhone 5.
  • Rounak
    Rounak Posts: 269
    via Wordpress
    Let the outrage begin.
  • Humor4Fun
    Humor4Fun Posts: 13
    via Wordpress
    Not good enough. This may actually be worse in some cases. I am paying for "UNLIMITED 3G DATA PLAN FOR SMARTPHONE" so I want "unlimited 3g data", not "3GB of 3g and unlimited 2g data".
  • SBNP
    SBNP Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    It only mentions smart phones. are data plans on iPads etc affected? There is no way to see how much data you use on an iPad. You can't dial the suggested number on the website they refer you to. VZ hasn't done this to their customers yet and they have way more folks using up LTE spectrum.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 383
    via Wordpress
    I agree completely. Maybe if they slowed people down that watch HD youtube videos all day and use 40GB a month in data I could understand a throttle, but 3GB, one 30 min video in HD is easily 300MB*10 you are out of luck? I don't think that's right. I can just be glad that I don't travel too much where no Wifi is available, otherwise I'd for sure get throttled!
  • Steven M
    Steven M Posts: 114
    via Wordpress
    I'm still not happy about this. What part of unlimited does AT&T not understand? If I am going to be throttled down to an unusable speed after hitting 3GB, then what is the difference between my unlimited plan and the 3GB capped plan? I know AT&T is doing everything they can to get everyone off of the unlimited plan. I have my suspicions that when 4G comes to iPhone they will say that we have to move to a 4G plan and none of them will be unlimited. They will probably say that we can stay on the "unlimited" 3G plan if we want, but will have to drop that plan and switch to one of the new 4G plans if we want 4G speed. Don't worry... they'll get their way eventually. It's funny how they only give us an unlimited plan when the phones aren't capable of downloading huge amounts of data. As soon as we can finally take advantage of our unlimited plan, they want to cap it.Here is my analogy for this. Let's say that vehicles were not capable of going faster than 50mph. Drivers are then told that there is no speed limit and they can drive as fast as they want. The powers that be constantly brag and pat themselves on the back for being so nice for allowing us to drive as fast as we want with no limits. Then a vehicle hits the market that is capable of reaching speeds of 120mph. Then all of sudden, we are bombarded with speed limit signs and aren't allowed to drive faster than 60mph.
  • SBNP
    via Wordpress
    Sprint 3g is slow and will get slower as focus on implementing LTE. Sprints 4g is Clear's WIMAX. I don't think Apple will make a special chip for them. If they do, I'm buying up some beaten clear stock.
  • SBNP
    via Wordpress
    I can confirm that I spoke with ATT about the iPad going to 4g. They said, their is no upgrade path to LTE. You will need a new plan. Unlimited is over folks. I picked up a CLEAR hotspot with a truly unlimited (at least for now) plan. I get 6-10MB down and 1-1.5 up.
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Here's an idea, how about corporations STOP SELLING WHAT THEY DON'T ACTULLY OFFER, I'm so sick of getting raped...
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    Sprint's network is ridiculously slow and impossible to use for any streaming multimedia. I've kept AT&T because of the unlimited plan but wish I had Verizon because IMO they are the fastest...but then again, they've been having a lot of "outages" the past few months so who knows.
  • gjxdgjd
    gjxdgjd Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Compare 3 in the UK, which is actively promoting 'unlimited means unlimited' plans, doesn't cap, doesn't throttle, actively suggests ways of using more data so's you won't move to one of their competitors that doesn't do unlimited data, and is currently rolling out HSPA+ (what AT&T laughably calls '4G') so you can suck up even more data.Given that 3 isn't alone here in offerring unlimited data plans, I find it hard to understand why the USA is having such problems.
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    are you sure? While I have a 3G/HSDPA+ phone (Galaxy S2) I know some that went with the skyrocket and other LTE phones and still kept their unlimited plan. They might change in the future to that policy but for the time being if you buy a LTE based phone you can still keep unlimited at the moment.
  • Chris
    via Wordpress
    {Russian accent} here, in corporate USA, data plans use YOU!
  • noview
    noview Posts: 5
    via Wordpress
    to be fair, they're not selling it any more ;)
  • HereInChicago
    HereInChicago Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Alhtough the network is not as fast as ATT's its is VERY capable of streaming media. I youtube and quite a few other things ALOT! and after the initial 10 second load up time the video always loads quicker than it plays. Sprint is MUCH better then ATT. Its much faster than ATT's internet if you've used 2gb lol its much cheaper, and it also has REAL UNLIMITED(with not much of a loss in speed). And this is coming from a guy who has had ATT & Verizon(iphone 4) and Sprint(iPhone 4s)
  • OGT
    OGT Posts: 230
    via Wordpress
    Yeah! But pathetic 1.5 Mbps speed...! Even slower...!
  • SBNP
    via Wordpress
    When I called it was about my iPad on an unlimited plan. Was asking about switching to the 4g waterproof device.
  • Frank
    Frank Posts: 215
    via Wordpress
    Website said they throttle you if you go over 3GB, which means you're in the top 5%...but does 3GB really = top 5%? what if the top 5% really go crazy and use 10gb a month...then a 3gb user wouldn't be in the top 5%...or maybe I read their crappy website wrong...
  • ///MPower
    ///MPower Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Whaaa?? Since when can AT&T re-define the word "Unlimited?" Unlimited means, NOT LIMITED OR RESTRICTED in terms of number, quantity, or extent. They are RESTRICTING our "unlimited" data plan past 3GB... once you go past, suuuurree you could keep using data forever... but with throttled speeds, you prob won't be able to download even 1 more MB. Its fraud... I don't get it. It's not OUR fault they can't manage their network.Imagine if a water company said you can have "Unlimited" water usage. You turn on the faucet and water comes pouring out full power... well, after 3 gallons the water pressure is reduced to a dripping faucet. Yes, the faucet will drip forever and it's "unlimited" but really, how much more water will you be able to use??? HOW FRUSTRATING!!!
  • ///MPower
    ///MPower Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    That's what Im thinking... how in the world can using 3GB of data equal exactly top 5% of data users? I know for there are plenty of people that use 10GB a month or more. Where is AT&T's data... I want to see some numbers. I want to see some evidence to back up their claims. How can we be using 2GB of data and be in the top 5% and then the next day suddenly the top 5% is 3GB of data.. ??? I call BS.
  • Jerry
    Jerry Posts: 47
    via Wordpress
    They may not be selling it anymore but they sold UNLIMITED to us. They are not honoring the contract they made to lure us into paying more money per month for data. It is pretty silly to throttle speeds at or below 2GB when we are paying the same as others that get 3GB un-throttled. Their policies do not make sense ethically or marketing wise. If they couldn't provide UNLIMITED data with the iPhone, or any other smartphone, they shouldn't have sold us on it.
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    3GB is nothing, really nothing!
  • Chris
    via Wordpress
    I knew I'd get that reply, and your right, but I was referring to the limited plans they continue to sell, which, if you buy AT&T's logic is why I don't get my unlimited I'm paying for. If they can't continue to sign up new people AND offer me what I signed up for they shouldn't be allowed to sign up new customers, (how realistic is that?!?? LOL)
  • Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress
    I have 13Gb/month for the price around $35/month (my work pays for it). I live on Denmark so it's a bit easier here. And the contracts may not be more than 6 months when buying a new phone. However when it comes to data I only use around 100mb a month. Is on wifi most of the time.
  • SBNP
    via Wordpress
    I used my iPad to watch my sling box for ~2hours and used close to a gig. ATT says to use hotspots when available. For security reasons, I refuse. Just want what I paid for.This thing is complete B.S., can we go to ATT and slow down our payments or renegotiate? Nope. I'm thinking more lawsuits to follow. The advertising is false.
  • 1hihum
    1hihum Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    I an understand the need to throttle users who are consuming massive amounts of data, but what I can't get in line with is how unlimited users are the only ones targeted, when in fact they should be the last ones targeted (based on the IDEA that they are indeed on an UNLIMITED PLAN). Essentially we have been switched to a 3gig plan without the overage option (I don't consider 2g speed an option).That being said, there is no reason at all that any other user should be allowed to use more data that an "unlimited" user, let alone use more without penalty. I actually think what they are doing now will only strengthen the case for those who goose to sue them.
  • Jerzy
    Jerzy Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Yes they are. Every month I'm paying them $30 for unlimited data -plan which is sold to me.
  • 4S
    4S Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Can we throttle our monthly payment??
  • qunnoir
    qunnoir Posts: 22
    via Wordpress
    When Verizon got the iPhone 4 and offered it new customers unlimited plans. AT&T had already stopped offering unlimited plans to it customers. AT&T turned around and started offering unlimited to current customers. They tried to save their ass. I was one who was looking to move to Verizon but didn't. My cousin signed up for Verizon. And he has never been throttled down. F*ck u AT&T.
  • Kimk69
    Kimk69 Posts: 213
    via Wordpress
    They just gave all that money & spectrum to tmobile and now were gonna pay. There nonsense makes me sick. Don't forget about the upgrade from $18 to $36. What is going on.