AT&T to Unlock Off-Contract iPhones From April 8th

Comments

• Maxtor182
    Maxtor182 Posts: 46
    via Wordpress
    I had an iPhone4 locked to Rogers in Canada. I signed a new contract with a different carrier to get 4S. When I called Rogers to unlock my 4, they couldn't do it because I no longer had a standing account with them. I had to get my new carrier to contact Rogers to release the phone to them so that my new carrier could unlock it. Maybe the same if u no longer have an account with at&t
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    I had an iPhone4 locked to Rogers in Canada. I signed a new contract with a different carrier to get 4S. When I called Rogers to unlock my 4, they couldn’t do it because I no longer had a standing account with them. I had to get my new carrier to contact Rogers to release the phone to them so that my new carrier could unlock it. Maybe the same if u no longer have an account with at&t
  • Maxtor182
    via Wordpress
    Anytime you talk to customer service and they say they cant help you, just ask to talk to someone else. If **** enough and talk to the right person, they can always help you
  • Divxclub
    Divxclub Posts: 54
    via Wordpress
    Lies ! I personally unlocked phone with different carrier and ONLY way to unlock it is to get your iPhone IMEI to "white list" then it get's submitted to Apple server, then end user access iTunes and if white list confirms unlock iTunes will give you a message about you phone is now unlocked and STFU if you don't know what are you saying in here ,,,,P.S.Where is no "combinations" to open ANY kind of "Enter code" menu ...not even in iOS coding ,,,,damn people are pathetic ....
  • Hari
    Hari Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    I am living in Netherlands. I got a iPhone as a gift. With AT&T free plan contract. It was purchased in USA on the 4th November 2010. I have never use it with AT&T Sim. But i using with gevey sim. Can I also unlock it now.
  • Grime
    Grime Posts: 216
    via Wordpress
    Good news, I'm glad to hear it. I was wondering if At&t had a change of heart because of legal reasons. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see how it would be legal to give special treatment such as unlocking a phone for some customers and not for others. I wonder why no one has tried to sue on grounds of discrimination or something along those lines. Also, for most people not concerned with traveling abroad you can now get month to month service with Straight talk nationwide for $45 a month using an locked At&t cell phone including the iphone. It makes perfect sense they'd change their policy towards unlocking phones with fulfilled contracts. I'm just wondering how that's going to affect Apple's bottom line. If you can unlock an iphone by paying an early termination fee you can essential get the iphone for less than Apple's asking price. For example if you buy an iphone 4s for $399. $36.00 activation fee, 59.00 for least expensive voice and data plan option and $315 for the early termination fee (assuming you keep the phone for one month), excluding taxes, that should set you back $819.99. You'd still pay less than buying directly from Apple for $849.00+$45 for a one month Straight talk unlimited plan, for a grand total of $894.00. It's a difference of $84, not a huge savings, but it's still something. If you're in the situation I was in, you have 6 months left in you contract, you're itching to switch carriers and want a new iphone 4s, you can pay an additional $36 upgrade fee in place of the activation fee and follow the steps above or just wait for your contract to end an switch to another carrier and still have to buy an iphone 4s from one of the big three and pay at least $59 for a watered down plan that doesn't include texting. The choice is up to you, just presenting the options,
  • DoctorTim
    DoctorTim Posts: 32
    via Wordpress
    I bought my old iPhone 4 at full price from Apple and use it overseas exclusively. It's B.S. that I have to go through AT&T for an unlock. They have nothing to do with my phone and never have.
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 39
    via Wordpress
    wow your an idiot or you just can not read. You only would have to go through AT&T if you BOUGHT THE PHONE FROM AT&T if you bought a factory unlocked iphone from the APPLE store that's completely different then what this is talking about.
  • dkj
    dkj Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    hahah hey he's a Doctor hahahaha
  • Ejin M.
    Ejin M. Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hi, is there anyone out there know the steps to at&t unlock iphone 4? Please reply ;)
  • jftcdhv
    jftcdhv Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    1) Wait til Monday 9th2) Phone AT&T, and get them to unlock your phone3) Put in a non-AT&T SIM and connect your phone to iTunes.
  • jae
    jae Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    Does anybody know if we have to unjailbreak the phone to have them unlock? Thx.
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    I already use pay as you go on my iphone, just went into ATT store and paid early term fee and had it switched to pay as you go. But I'll probably go with TMobiles $30 plan now.
  • jim
    jim Posts: 128
    via Wordpress
    hi cherylmi have been on the pay as u go plam as well with my iphone 4 but att will not allow me to use there data network with it have to use wifi texting works but they wont sell me data time time for this phone in fact refunded the moneys i paid them for the data plan
  • keke
    keke Posts: 0
    via Wordpress
    I was wondering how do they do that for you?Can you help me out? what did you ask? I want my att to unlock for me.
  • شات شباب اليمن
    via Wordpress
    Very success move from at&t. that is smart to attract more customers
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu Posts: 70
    via Wordpress
    good to hear. Last I booted up my old 3GS I remember it had one of those basebands that would be a real PITA (aka need iPad baseband) and would be irreversible. Glad I held out because now I can unlock it and sell it as jailbroken and unlocked. :P
  • ronak
    ronak Posts: 14
    via Wordpress
    Sumthing good to hear..i amglad tht single email worked to start this policy..anyways..Guys i need sum help..i resides in india n have got an iphone 4 which is locked to at&t while buying that phone from usa i have terminated the contract by paying the contract breaking fees..from den i was in no contract with at&t..but still my phone is locked to at&t carrier..so am i elegible for this unlock????N can some one explain how this process will work..?? Need help mates..Please some one reply soon..ad iAm dying to get my phone unlocked..
  • Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress
    How much it cost for termination fee?
  • Tlukacs
    Tlukacs Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Don't need to unlock AT&T iphone to be used on Straight Talk because they use AT&T's network
  • fas
    fas Posts: 2,297
    via Wordpress
    Finally sense prevailed with AT&T and they did this, which they should have years ago.
  • Hari
    Hari Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    Hi Ronak my problem also same as you.we will have to wait until official announcement from AT&T. According to me it is only who are using the AT&T SIM.I am not usins AT&T but I am using (unlock with GEVEY SIM) other carrier.
  • DRKD
    DRKD Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Hey Ronak and Hari. Even i got an iphone in nov 2010. I had paid the full cost for the phone and got it from the apple store. It was locked with at&t. I knew other operators in the world unlocked for a fee. but i did not know at&t were so stringent about the policy. Damn should have done my research well. but neways, m currently using it on gevey sim and i hope they should unlock our phones too because we have paid the termination fee or the full cost of the phone so we are no way related to at&t anymore so they should relieve us from their bond. Our phones should be unlocked. hope for the best!
  • ronak
    via Wordpress
    Hi Hari , DRKDI probably guess that they should unlock our iphone as i approprieatly went thoroug the statement from at&t..even i am using gevey sim..but unlocked phone is any way better..even i had paid the termination fees while buying the phone...Hari we shouldn't wait we should call at&t and ask them directly to unlock the phone as when u provide your serial no to them they get every detail weather you have paid the contract termination cost..and let them decide our iphones future..Hope for the best..Gyus update if u have had a conversation with at&t customer service..this would be realy beneficial for many people..
  • ronak
    via Wordpress
    Hi Hari , DRKDI probably guess that they should unlock our iphone as i approprieatly went thoroug the statement from at&t..even i am using gevey sim..but unlocked phone is any way better..even i had paid the termination fees while buying the phone...Hari we shouldn't wait we should call at&t and ask them directly to unlock the phone as when u provide your serial no to them they get every detail weather you have paid the contract termination cost..and let them decide our iphones future..Hope for the best.
  • JP32
    JP32 Posts: 12
    via Wordpress
    They will unlock all versions of the iPhone including the 4S.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 163
    via Wordpress
    Funny how today is April 8th and AT&T s wireless department is closed on Sunday's. I think it's a scam.
  • Lynda
    Lynda Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    I called AT&T this morning, just after they opened the customer support lines.First customer service rep said that absolutely no-way could they unlock an iPhone, then cut me off.Second customer service rep said the same, but then did a little more research and acknowledged that they now can unlock iPhones that satisfy the requirements. However, despite the rep being able to see that my phone qualifies, they do not have access to unlock codes. My case has been escalated to the account team who, once they confirm eligibility, will get back to me with an unlock code by April 16th. So, don't hold your breath for an immediate unlock.
  • P_NY
    P_NY Posts: 20
    via Wordpress
    I agree with lynda,I also called this morning (trying to unlock iPhone 3GS), the first rep said my account is in good standing and she will transfer me to Apple, once I was with Apple rep, he said to my ONLY AT&T can unlock iPhones, called second time and after 30min of waiting and gave her my IMEI #, ATT rep said I can't unlock my iPhone, I asked why? and her response was my account is not eligible for unlock because AT&T is the official carrier of iPhone.After a little longer of going back and forth withe the rep, she said my account is not eligible to get the unlock code (my contract is up on July). So I guess you can only unlock your iPhone ONLY if your off contract
  • iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, we have a new post, which provides more info and to also track if AT&T has started unlocking off-contract iPhones.