AT&T CEO's Only Regret is Offering Unlimited Data Plans For iPhone

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageAT&T CEO's Only Regret is Offering Unlimited Data Plans For iPhone

AT&T's CEO Randall Stephenson who spoke at the Milken Institute’s Global Conference, said that his only regret was to offer unlimited data plans to iPhone users when it was launched.

From New York Times:

Read the full story here

Comments

• IIIMPower
    IIIMPower Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I knew he hated me and my unlimited data plan....
  • John
    John Posts: 790
    via Wordpress
    Options
    What a greedy bastard! At&T would have been more profitable if they just improved their damn networks. They are slow as hell compared to Verizon or even sprint in some areas, instead they **** about the past and how they regret their decisions. At&T needs to look into the future and how to keep their somewhat loyal customers who are stuck in contract, cuz I know a lot of people are gonna leave At&T soon, and I am def one of them!!!
  • Grenaid
    Grenaid Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Cry a river for his revenue stream. This is something that should have been a free giveaway from the get go, it costs little to nothing to maintain in parallel with the rest of their operations but it became a cash cow "because they can." If the field was more competitive, perhaps that fee would have disappeared ages ago.I seriously wish companies would focus on the consumer more than the 'streams' and offer one flat rate for 'data' which included something like VOIP and texting. That alone might not change what I pay a month, but the idea that texts cost them so much more a month that *I* have to eat the cost is insulting to the customer.
  • shadowxpr
    shadowxpr Posts: 17
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Agree caps on mobile data plans is the same robery as the 19.99$ for a text message plan. Hopefully congress will make caps on wired and wireless ileagal, I say charge for the speed and not by amount. The Internet is a utility...
  • Yo Mama!
    Yo Mama! Posts: 30
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Now I got a message, You almost reach 3GB of monthly data and You will be throttling ta ta ta ta ta ta tata... F*ck u AT&T
  • Lahey
    Lahey Posts: 32
    via Wordpress
    Options
    AT&T were not given an option regarding the data plan. They could take it or leave it. Our phones would have come to market anyway; in any case, AT&T chose to take it rather than leave it. In fact, with the original iPhone being limited to Edge and AT&T's "performance" (I use the term leniently!) most users were using very little data -- there simply wasn't enough time to download more!
  • Pete
    Pete Posts: 92
    via Wordpress
    Options
    "posts revenue of $32billion"... Why u bitching about data? What's the big difference from us using 2gbs and 5gbs? Why do I get a text message warning when I use 5gbScrew at&t! I'm organizing a class action lawsuit! Breach of contract! Unlimited is unlimited!
  • Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I think that MetroPCS has the right idea, all plans have unlimited data (starting at $40 per month), but are throttled after a predefined point based on how much your are spending, when you reach the $70 mark, you get no throttling and video on demand and Rhapsody unlimited Music.
  • DillansiPhone
    DillansiPhone Posts: 8
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Agreed, metros looking pretty nice now .-.
  • Dudley
    Dudley Posts: 4
    via Wordpress
    Options
    That CEO got some nerves, His only Regret is offering unlimited Data Plan for iPhone?And If you’re using iMessage, you’re not using one of our messaging services, right? That’s disruptive to our messaging revenue stream.” Is He really serious?
  • unreal
    unreal Posts: 51
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear from actual network designers and admins at AT&T. Yeah. We get the fact that he regrets not setting up the plan such that he could fleece customers for every friggin' dime he could. Steve did that on purpose.I appreciate the power of modern portable IP devices to play hell with a network. But I have no sympathy at all for disruption of their messaging services. SMS is ridiculously overpriced. It was a gap play and that gap has closed. AT&T needs to stop bemoaning the advent of "horseless carriage" and come up with new services that people want.
  • Pacomac
    Pacomac Posts: 145
    via Wordpress
    Options
    These mobile phone companies need to get their act together and start being competitive or Apple will waltz in there and create their own telephone network! Their business model should provide the customer with as much bandwidth as we pay for, so unlimited should mean unlimited!
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 35
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Apparently this seem to be a worldly trend as the same has just been done by a CEO of a leading carrier in my country. Data caps and dropping unlimited plans. My question is, why offer 'unlimited' in the first place then whine later to consumers and throttle and all sort of crap that we don't care to hear about
  • Olaf
    Olaf Posts: 66
    via Wordpress
    Options
    ......right. This guy can't sleep at night. I'd like to kick him extremely hard in the testicles (or ovaries - whatever he's got) and really give him something that won't let him sleep - PAIN. He's an ass clown for even admitting what he did and therefore should get the Super Douche of the year award.
  • mkimid
    mkimid Posts: 227
    via Wordpress
    Options
    He is so greedy.. and do not understand what he is saying.. stupid, actually, the future of data plan should be going to the unlimited plan, they sould prepare the way to make a profit structure.
  • mE.!
    mE.! Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options
    http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=22304&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33762"Best-Ever Mobile Broadband Sales and Strong Cash Flows Highlight AT&T's Fourth-Quarter Results"* 10.0 percent growth in wireless revenues* 19.4 percent growth in wireless data revenues, up $956 million versus the year-earlier quarterGosh, sounds like they're really struggling.
  • BBkiller
    BBkiller Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Back in June 2010, AT&T killed the tiered data plans and switched to tiered data plans.
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 48
    via Wordpress
    Options
    My only regret was switching to AT&T.
  • Olaf
    Olaf Posts: 66
    via Wordpress
    Options
    LOL I noticed that too. But I figured it would be changed soon.
  • Argh!
    Argh! Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    You folks just don't understand. The majority of the cost is spectrum, and the problem is that the gooberment just will not allocate enough to satisfy your apitite The gooberment is the one collecting billions for a "commodity" shortage they have created. You want to ****, go complain to the FCC and the Kongress and maybe they will relieve the shortage and make it cheaper.
  • onni3l
    onni3l Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I was an at&t customer with the iphone 2G unlimited internet plan for two years and it sucked soo muchh I hated at&t soo much!!!! Then I met Verizon, the rest is history!!! = D
  • mkimid
    via Wordpress
    Options
    After LTE iPhone anounced, I will willing change to the Verizon. Because of I using AT&T for GSM network. I pretty sure LTE phone will support 3G for world wide compatibikity
  • mkimid
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Compatibilty same as iPad 3gen, it means I do not have any reason to stay at AT&T.
  • Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    Options
    He lost sleep????!!!!!! This guy makes minimum 12 million a year!!!!! Thats not considering what others make and how much they profit at the end of the year. So when you make a million a month you lose sleep. I'm up in August. After six years of paying 120 a month cell bill, I'm leaving att. I'm done.
  • Willie
    Willie Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Losing sleep? Just for that comment, I'm going to stream Pandora all night on my unlimited grandfathered account ... Lol lol
  • Roscoe
    Roscoe Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Been with AT&T (Cingular) 10 yrs. This is F%*@ing crazy. I've lost all respect for this company....thinking bout Sprint idk.
  • Roscoe
    Roscoe Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options
    Been with AT&T (Cingular) 10 yrs, this is crazy! I've lost all respect for this company....thinking bout Sprint idk.
  • Troy
    Troy Posts: 45
    via Wordpress
    Options
    My only regret is not leaving them sooner. Straight talk costs 1/3 the price and is the exact same service, well except everything on straight talk is unlimited. (:
  • Troy
    via Wordpress
    Options
    He's just pissed that EA beat them out as the worst company in America 2012, he's trying his hardest to make sure that doesn't happen in 2013. (:
  • Troy
    via Wordpress
    Options
    I suggest straight talk, get a sim from them for next to nothing, and since it's rebranded at&t service, the phone doesn't even need to be unlocked to work. It's unlimited everything for 45$ a month, less if you pay for more months or buy cards on ebay.