iPhoneModem Brings 3G/EDGE Tethering for iPhone

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageiPhoneModem Brings 3G/EDGE Tethering for iPhone

One of the features missing from the 1st gen iPhone and iPhone 3G is the ability to tether the iPhone to feed a data connection to your computer to surf the internet. It would have been a treat if it was possible on iPhone 3G. We have already seen Nullriver's...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 142
    via Wordpress

Works great with 3G. Surprisingly fast!! The only problem I see is that only web browsers are able to access the internet. You can't use instant messenger clients, Mail, or the itunes store. Hopefully there will be a workaround in the near future. Other than that, its EXTREMELY easy to use!! Nice job!!

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

Can you download files with this application?? Please confirm that thank you.

• mister_L
    mister_L Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

old news...and there are FREE apps which are better than netshare! use google!

• Nate
    Nate Posts: 58
    via Wordpress

@mister_L

It would be nice if you would post a link to an alternative application rather than just saying "use google". Furthermore, iPhoneModem might be old news to you, but I hadn't heard of it yet. So, thank you iPhoneHacks.

• Kray-Z
    Kray-Z Posts: 85
    via Wordpress

question, you metioned that you would get "neutered" if we use it to mutch, how mutch do you think that would be and what exactly would, happ, would they charge you, cut you off for good, put it in suspetion? is there any information of this happeining. thanks alot you guys.

• uday
    uday Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I am not able to see this application in Cydia. What do I do? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Dandaman
    Dandaman Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Whats up wit this app, it is no where to be found! Any suggestions??

• lb
    lb Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

This is not true about only working for internet, open ichat and select Server Settings - choose the connect with proxy check box... leave "use system pref" checked...and ichat is online. Repeat with other apps that don't work.

make sure to undo after done tethering. Also if you have no regular net after iphonemodem, check osx's network location setting... i had to swap it back to Normal.

Your welcome.

• marcoxyz
    marcoxyz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

http://www.iphonemodem.de the real free iPhone thetering out sins 3 Weeks... It is unbelivable that people surfing with iPhones with a open WLAN :D

Ciao Marco

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

Can it be connect with PC???

• marcoxyz
    marcoxyz Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Yes it can... simply create a Adhoc WLAN with WEP or WPA and use for your Programms the iPhone IP as Socks5 Proxy on Port 1080...

Ciao Marco

• Hussein EROL
    Hussein EROL Posts: 7
    via Wordpress

Thanks friends. Great!

• Jesse
    Jesse Posts: 38
    via Wordpress

Anyone know when this will be avaiable for Windows Xp?

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

This uses the 3G capabilities right? so will the usage be charged to our phone bill?? sorry complete noob at this...

• co
    co Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Works a treat for me. With the minimum of fuss, which is what you need when mobile in my opinion. If you have a geniune carrier package the data is included. Making sure they don't find out your using it is the key. No movie downloads etc.or excessive threads open. Just casual browsing and chat etc. I've used it a lot and only used 2 gb of data in I month. Fair usage into account that is way within my allowance. I was using net share. Which is also great, but a little tempremental. Now the trial as run out on that I may purchase iPhonemodem2. $9.99 is a great price.

• co
    co Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Pdanet sorry, not netshare!

• Bill
    Bill Posts: 153
    via Wordpress

Tried and failed using Windows XP with Bootcamp on my 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro; until my Avast antivirus prompted if I wanted it to stop blocking iPhonemodem. I am typing this now using iPhonemodem on my Macbook Pro with Windows in Bootcamp!

• Ron
    Ron Posts: 69
    via Wordpress

Need help
    The trial version worked fine after it run out bought the app and it refuse to work again, it keeps telling me (waiting for iphone) and will nor connect. Support sucks no one has answered countless emails that i've sent. Thing twice before buying apps without phone support, EVEN IF IT FOR $10.00.

• Sime
    Sime Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Same problem as Ron, but it is the iPhone that wants the laptop to open iPhoneModem. Let me know if and how you fix it!

• Sime
    Sime Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Also knackered the Wifi on the laptop, and won't connect to our wireless home network - everything else does! HELP!!!

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

It appears that this is the only place where people are bringing up iphonemodem2 on the internet. Even the builder's website doesn't have a discussion forum where people can help troubleshoot.

Sime, I think I had the same problem as you. When I loaded iphone modem on my iphone & pc, it changed my lan settings in Internet Explorer. I couldn't get on the internet until I disabled this proxy setting. Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

I purchased iphonemodem2 and I am having trouble getting internet access. I...
    1) Opened IPM2 on my notebook (it sets up a wifi network).
    2) Iphone - I connected to the new available wifi network and launched my IPM2 app.
    3) Icons - Edge & Wifi icons come up on iphone (but the third rectangle icon does not ever become active). Iphone & wifi icons come up on my pc application.

I run internet explorer, and nothing.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Ryan

• au
    au Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have exactly the problem with Ryan, above. I successfully used iphonemodem for a day but now it cannot connect. I have tried to re-install it on both the iphone and macbook but no good result. What is default proxy settings for iphonemodem on mac. Thanks.
    au

• Jay
    Jay Posts: 295
    via Wordpress

I'm have the same problem. Macbook Pro-Iphone 3G. Got it working once on a Mac Mini(10.5.6) and speed measured 3.0Mb with speakeasy website, but no success now with Macbook or Mini. Mac says "Waiting for Iphone" and Iphone says "Open iPhoneModem on Mac/Pc". Where my money at?

via Wordpress

Hmm, I have the same problem. It started after I updated to 2.2. - All I get is "Waiting for iPhone" :-(

• Joe
    Joe Posts: 450
    via Wordpress

They are working on an update:
    -------------
    From ME:
    The third box on the iPhone app never activates/lights up.
    1. I launch the app on my WinXP laptop
    2. I click connect
    3. I launch the app on my iPhone

The status on the WinXP iPhone modem is connected, but the app on the iPhone has a status of "Open iPhonemodem on MAC/PC"

###PLEASE ENTER A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM YOU ARE EXPERIENCING HERE###
    -- iPhone Log Start --
    Edge:xx.xx.xxx.xx WiFi:iPhoneModem (169.254.244.64) Mac/PC:NO
    01/07/09 15:21:54.892: Starting HTTP Proxy
    01/07/09 15:21:54.898: HTTP server started
    01/07/09 15:21:54.900: Starting SOCKS Proxy
    01/07/09 15:21:54.903: SOCKS server started
    01/07/09 15:21:54.906: Starting DNS Proxy on xx.xx.xxx.xx
    -- End of iPhone Log --

Sent from my iPhone
    ----------------------
    From THEM:
    Some users, like you, are experiencing problems with our new engine, we are working on an update to be released next week. Also make sure you have both applications updated to version 2.2. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• kramer
    kramer Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

For anyone with inability to connect to internet after this installation go to internet options in internet expolorer, click connection tab, then lan settings, and uncheck proxy box. I also checked box to auto detect settings.

• Brad
    Brad Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

Next week? Aaaargh.
    This is why charging for apps like this is risky. Now most of us have a worthless $10 "modem" that can't be used...

• Brad
    Brad Posts: 54
    via Wordpress

next week? aaargh...
    A net-tethering app like this is so volatile, I'm not sure they should be charging for it if it can down for days at a time due to Apple updates or their own errors...

• Brade
    Brade Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

OK, so I decided to go with PDAnet, and it seems to be better for several reasons: http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/