Step-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak 1st Gen iPhone and iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.1 [Updated]

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageStep-by-Step Guide to Jailbreak 1st Gen iPhone and iPhone 3G running Firmware 2.1 [Updated]

The iPhone hacking community has done it again, it has only been a few hours since Apple released iPhone firmware 2.1 which includes many bug fixes and improvements, and we have news that they have figured out a way to jailbreak iPhone firmware 2.1. ipineapple, one of our readers here...

Read the full story here

Comments

• tresdad23
    tresdad23 Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

wow that seems like a lot. i guess i might wait for the dev team to come out with there version. but thanks ipineapple for putting it out there for us to try.

• Rocky
    Rocky Posts: 37
    via Wordpress

This was kind of a pain in the ass to do, but it worked.. Great Work.. THANKS

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

Followed all instructions and now have Steve Jobs with his arms in the air saying "NPEBEA" and it won`t leave phone and phone wont work
    What do I do to get rid of him and get phone working

• STEVE ANDERSON
    STEVE ANDERSON Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

there is 4 files names com.apple.mobile.insta all 4 files are different size but names the same

• Bazza
    Bazza Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

JEFF: TRY PLACING THE PHONE IN DFU MODE AND DOING A COMPLETE RESTORE FROM YOUR PREVIOUS BACKUP IN ITUNES...

• STEVE ANDERSON
    via Wordpress

didnt ask about restoring which of the 4 files do i delete stuck on apple logo now

• STEVE ANDERSON
    via Wordpress

also phone does never reboot stuck on apple logo also itunes does not open mentions a file created using a newer version of itunes followed guide to the letter aswell shame

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress

steve rename your itunes folder in your music folder to itunes old or just delete it after you uninstall itunes 8. then install itunes 7.7.

• STEVE ANDERSON
    via Wordpress

deleted all 4 com.apple.mobile.installation.plist cos there is 4 of them guide does not say 4 file rebooted phone how long do you wait looking at the apple logo been 5 mins now

• Flame Red
    Flame Red Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

Well, this did not work very well. After I upgraded the phone to 2.1, I installed the old version 7 iTunes, and it complained that it would not work with the iPhone because it needed version 8 itunes!

So no my phone is no longer jailbroken :(

• Gurjinder Virk
    Gurjinder Virk Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I deleted itunes 8 and installed 7.7 and it says " The file "iTunes Library.itl" cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes." Any ideas on what I should do?

• E AK
    E AK Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hey guys, can somebody help me with this step: Use Totalcommander to install patched mobileinstallation to /System/Library/PrivateFrameWorks/MobileInstallation.framework ... clickon the dropdown box [-\-] top left and select network neighbourhood then t-pot. Remeber to back up your original mobileinstallation first! Drag the file from the right pane to the left, not from windows explorer to TotalCOmmander.

I can not find the path to install mobileinstaller to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanksss

• E AK
    E AK Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Hey Virk,

Just delete all your itunes playlist files and it will be able to open up itunes. But since it is an older version, and we already updated our iphones, it wont detect your iphone.

I am basically stuck on that step because I do not know how to access my iphone via totalcommander.

somebody please helpp

• Flame Red
    Flame Red Posts: 42
    via Wordpress

Even though I could not use iTunes V7 as documented above, I followed the rest of the procedure and it worked perfectly. I have iTunes V8 back on the PC and see no issues with it. So all good :-)

• mistaomarh
    mistaomarh Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey Virk,

I'm absolutely retarded with computers but after investing 7 hours into this, I tried this and it did jailbreak my phone. I bought the 3g iphone today and updated to 2.1 like it says above and followed the directions. The Totalcommander is kind of confusing to use for a first timer.

To find the system/library to put installer, on the side of the commander if you are using Vista. You should go to your network connections. I found the T-Pot directory there. Inside you will see the directory you are looking for. This does work and I feel proud of myself

• Jeff
    Jeff Posts: 126
    via Wordpress

HEY IPHONE FANS, JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW I JUST FINISHED JAILBREAKING MY IPHONE 2.1 SOFTWARE USING WINDOWS VISTA. CYDIA/INSTALLER ARE BOTH THERE ALONG WITH MY NICE BOOT LOGO. ANYONE ELSE HAVE SUCCESS JAILBREAKING USING WINDOWS? IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK.

JKATZ3466@GMAIL.COM

• DJ
    DJ Posts: 38
    via Wordpress

Will this work using the iPod Touch's 2.1 firmware?

• karim
    karim Posts: 13
    via Wordpress

I can't believe it but it works.

Followed the steps exactly as described. The only confusion was the deleting of the "com.apple.mobile.installation" file. I deleted the largest file of this type because, as mentioned before, there are 4 of the files with the same name.

Great work. I now have all the advantages of the newer software but the added bonus of Cydia.

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

Well like most I get stuck during the QuickPwn process. It starts the process then the command prompt window closes and there is just the spinning circle on my iPhone and it goes no further than that... Restoring to 2.0.2 for now until a proper release of QuickPwn is available, or if somebody can maybe help me get this working...

• Kevin514
    Kevin514 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Im having issues with the process, it is fully complete and for about 2 hours it was working great...however now i dont have axs to the phone functions of my handset, ill click phone and it will bring me to keypad, i cant select any of the options and after about 5 seconds it just goes back to home menu...any suggestions? I can still call directly out of the contacts app, however it will dial and not let me axs the keypad or phone functions...any help asap would be appreciated!!!!!!

• Erica
    Erica Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

can anyone help me??? i have a i phone with a t mobile chip and i was on i tunes and updated my phone and now it don't work it say that it don't regonize the sim card is there any way i can fix this?

• omez
    omez Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Holy sht this actually worked!!! I downloaded version 2.1 and followed the steps. My iphone 3g is still locked... I made it look like everything I'd want it to by with Cydia, BUT I CAN'T USE IT!!!! Is there anyway to unlock this phone without having to cut my sim card? PLZ PLZ let me know. I'm not that good with cutting things or computers, I can't beleive I was able to do this.. Please let me know.. It's such a waste sitting here looking all great

• snoorez
    snoorez Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi!!! Instructions above works beautifully! I did everything EXCEPT uninstalling iTunes 8….. I restored the the phone as a new device and updated the firmware…. just close iTunes before running QuickPWN. You don’t have to install iTunes 7.7

=)

• iphone3gmods
    iphone3gmods Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

here is our dummy proof guide
    with 31 screen shots :)

confirmed 71 users already

http://www.iphone3g-mods.com/2008/09/guide-jailbreak-iphone-21-firmware.html

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

i did all the steps and everything was working fine. but after that when i turned it off and back on later-it wont show up in itunes or let me do anything on the phone itself. i even ran the quickpwn again but it keeps freezing up

• Hector
    Hector Posts: 11
    via Wordpress

Hey my iphone 3g is working alright after i jailbroke it, I just have no boot logo. I wonder what i did wrong.

• Paul
    Paul Posts: 239
    via Wordpress

I am stuck on the quickpwn run step. I get there it says:

Hashing ispw.....

Matching ispw

and then it stops and i get an error saying:

quickpwn.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the onconvenience. Send error report. Don't send.

Any advice??

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 260
    via Wordpress

This is a crap process, way too buggy. I'm finally on 2.1 but did it by downloading a custom firmware that was already unlocked and pwned under MAC OS. Simple. So far 2.1 is awesome, nice and fast again like 1.1.4!

• Aman
    Aman Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

Well man..this article is kinda infusing new ideas in my mind. A very usefull one. Keep up the good work!

• Wagner
    Wagner Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

hey folks, followed instructions and it worked perfectly except for the boot logo and my signal bars that are gone....i'll try to install custom ones with cydia if possible