PdaNet Turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi Router

Options
^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imagePdaNet Turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi Router

June Fabrics Technology has released their popular application for Window Mobile phones and Palm OS phones, PdaNet, for jailbroken iPhone. PdaNet turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi router for your MAC or PC, and allows your laptop to surf the internet wirelessly using your iPhone's 3G/Edge data connection. PdaNet is...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 1,127
    via Wordpress
    Options

I just started using this and it's awesome! I would compare the 3g tether connection to that of DSL speed. Video can be somewhat slow to stream but surfing is just great!

• Mike (Egypt)
    Mike (Egypt) Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

This sounds amazing i wish they released this earlier because i needed internet but couldn't find a wifi connection for my laptop. Cant wait to install on my iPhone 3g xD. Does anyone know if its compatible for 2.1?

• Com3
    Com3 Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

AMAZING APP! i've tried it just now with amazing results! everything works! i've made a crystal clear phone call on skype, chatted a bit with my buddy on iChat, browsed on both Firefox and Safari! tested the speed! didnt know that my 3g connection was capable of 1896kbps thats around 1.7mbps which is pretty dandy! the app is amazing, setup was as simple as setting up a normal network, just create an ad-hoc on ur mac/windows! and "boom" as mr Job says, your online checking iPhoneHacks.com. Amazing find guys

Thanks for the heads up

PEACE

P.S I've tried it on my 2.1 iphone ;) couldnt get my iPod connected through the computer tho!,, i could see it connected on the app, but i couldnt get online.

• MacAssist
    MacAssist Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

Great app - got it working in no time. On my main machine, the stuff I had to do to get NetShare working I had to undo for PdaNet to work (had to unset the Socks proxy). Just let both devices do DHCP, join the ad-hoc network and you're up and away with Web, mail, SSH - you name it.

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 142
    via Wordpress
    Options

Can anyone confirm that this works on 2.1? I tried it on mine and can't get it to work to save my life. I am very smart with the whole iPhone thing, so I know its not me. My IP addresses, just aren't what they are supposed to be. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Thanks!

• Dear Justin
    Dear Justin Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

@Justin
    If you were that smart, you would tell us what the problems are that you are experiencing. Is the program not loading, is it not recognizing your 3g connection, is it not recognizing your wifi connection? What is the deal. Provide some clear details and we can try to help, cause like you, we are also very smart with the whole "iphone thing!"

• km
    km Posts: 3
    via Wordpress
    Options

I had issues like @justin and i had to give my vista Wireless adapter an "alternate" ip address in the 192.168.x.x address class and then I was ok. I also had to give the IP of the iPhone as the gateway address since I was hardcoding my IP address. The end result was both laoptop and Iphone on the same network and the iphone address being the gateway). Since my Wireless NIC can have the primary DHCP setting and a secondary alternate IP that is hardcoded, this works great for me. I do it all once and then I am ok each subsequent time.

• Justin
    Justin Posts: 142
    via Wordpress
    Options

Sorry guys. I appoligize for being so vague. I create a wireless network on my mac, and then join it on my phone. However, the phone still shows the 3G icon. I start pdanet and it says "PDAnet is all setup and ready to go, just go into settings and join your adhoc network." It gives me that error everytime. I'm assuming its something wrong with my phone, since everyone else is getting it to work. You think it has something to do with me using iphonemodem, or the previous method with mobile terminal and 3proxy? Another question I have is, does it show the wifi icon or 3G icon on your phone when you use PDAnet? Thanks guys!!

• Francis
    Francis Posts: 6
    via Wordpress
    Options

PdaNet has been one of the most popular software for Windows Mobile phones and Palm OS phones. It is now ported to the iPhone! The latest version turns your iPhone into a true WiFi router for your computer (MAC or PC), and allows your laptop to go online wirelessly through the 3G network on the iPhone.While there has been quite a few other third party software (iPhoneModem, NetShare etc. and also the built-in OpenSSH) that tether your iPhone through a junky SOCKS proxy solution. PdaNet, on the other hand, is miles ahead! This version is called "PdaNet WiFi Router", it literally is. All you need to do is simply to create an ad-hoc WiFi network on the computer and connect your iPhone to it (instructions). Your computer then goes online automatically. There is no need to specify IP (or any other) settings on either end.
    ---------------------------------------------
    francis
    Link Building

• Peter
    Peter Posts: 110
    via Wordpress
    Options

Justin -

The same thing is happening to me, and I feel like I have tried every solution, but nothing is working. I have went the static route as km suggested, I have tried to only use DHCP on the phone / then only on the computer....Nothing is working. I keep getting stuck at the same screen as you. I have found out though, that it is a setting inside the computer, and not on the phone. On two laptops I have been experiencing the problem, but when I hook up to my desktop it works as others have reported. I have copied my ipconfig /all from the desktop and applied all the setting statically to my laptop...and nothing. There must be some service / setting that we have different on our computers. Please keep me posted on any progress, and I will do the same

• Angelus
    Angelus Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

This works great... It only took me 2 minutes ;-)

• @ Peter
    @ Peter Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Thanks peter for the info. I'll keep you posted if I figure it out. I know my macbook works perfectly, because I use basically the same method of creating a network for iphonemodem. So I know it works.

• DRENDER
    DRENDER Posts: 2
    via Wordpress
    Options

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!

• ADR
    ADR Posts: 10
    via Wordpress
    Options

I tried 3Proxy before and couldn't really keep the connection long enough for a page to load; PDANet is way better but i still get disconnect every 5 minutes or so... don't know what the deal is but for those concerns with with 2.1 firmware...my is 2.1 and maybe that is why.

• msafiri
    msafiri Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Works just great! For those of us who already pay for unlimited data downloads (Sweden), not being able to use the iPhone as a modem has been a real problem. Tethering is okay here, but Apple does not allow it. This is the solution.

• Danny
    Danny Posts: 91
    via Wordpress
    Options

works on 2.1 perfectly. Not sure how o2 will feel about it. Never mind.

• OldGuy
    OldGuy Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

I just tried PdaNET to tether my EeePC to my first generation iPhone using the E network. Running Firefox on the EeePC, it runs much faster than Safari on the iPhone. It only took a few minutes to set up. Thunderbird also worked well for getting my email using PdaNET. Oh, and PdaNET will tell you what you are doing wrong if the error is on the iPhone. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• starfall
    starfall Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

This is excellent. so easy and works perfectly.

• Douceswild
    Douceswild Posts: 15
    via Wordpress
    Options

I installed to try and review for the firt time today and it works great! Real easy to set up.

• Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    Options

I don't see PdaNET on Cydia for some reason??????

• Christian
    Christian Posts: 102
    via Wordpress
    Options

I don't see PdaNET on Cydia for some reason??????

• CathH
    CathH Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

At last! What a relief. This works perfectly with my Vista laptop and internet surfing and email work fine. I wish I'd had this when I was in Skye last week! Thanks for an excellent app.

• Q
    Q Posts: 7
    via Wordpress
    Options

Brilliant! Now I can dump my VMC card and stop paying Vodafone for maintaining 2 mobile connections. Configuration is simple enough for a non tech person like me to understand. If only NZ had similar data plans to the US... Thanks for this great app.

• justindavis
    justindavis Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

I am using iphone 2.0 with, OSX 10.5.5 mackbook pro, and pdanet. But once connected via pdanet/adhoc, only my apple mail app will successfully connect. firefox and safari dont. I get

HTTP ERROR: $CODE$

$MESSAGE$

RequestURI=/

What the dealio?

I'm using t-mobile, with t-zones hack.
    Any suggestions?
    thx

• LOS1NeR
    LOS1NeR Posts: 32
    via Wordpress
    Options

I'm poor just like half of america now. can't afford home internet:( So i use this with the greatest of ease and love it! Although i would like to see a if they can fix the battery issue that i'm having while pluged in to the wall socket to charge. The battery keeps running on the iphone which means eventually i have to disconnect and charge thee iphone. That my friends sucks major jewels. But beside that this is perfect for us poor technically advanced people:)

• JCR
    JCR Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
    Options

Can someone explain in PDANet for iPhone, when the app is connected there is a info tab that reads "Connections" and a amount of connections.

What does that connections means?

• Joseph
    Joseph Posts: 29
    via Wordpress
    Options

Im using this on my EEEPC, but I keep disconnecting every few minutes. My iPhone is using 2.1 firmware; Is that the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

• Chris
    Chris Posts: 736
    via Wordpress
    Options

How much data transfer would make ATT suspicious? It works great but I don't want to get spanked with a big bill from ATT.

• Chris
    via Wordpress
    Options

How much data transfer would make ATT suspicious? It works great but I don't want to get spanked with a big bill from ATT.

• Chris
    via Wordpress
    Options