Categories App Helps Organize iPhone Apps on your iPhone's Home Screen

Comments

• Dan
    Dan Posts: 348
    via Wordpress

anyone know how to completely remove this app? i installed it via cydia.. and i uninstalled it from cydia. problem is it left one empty folder on my springboard, with no apps in it.

strange part is, even though the app has been removed, if i click on the leftover category icon for "games" it loads categories. so this means that despite removing it through cydia, it left bits and pieces on my iphone

• Eta
    Eta Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

:( I did a mess. I used categories on my iphone but forgot to empty all the folders before restoring my iphone. Now when I sync my iphone with itunes not all my apps are synchronized.
    Any idea on how I can completely restore my iphone?
    Is there a "turbo" format functionality?
    Thanks to all for any help you can give!

• GoogleMyName
    GoogleMyName Posts: 3
    via Wordpress

You're not alone my friend, I totally forgot to do that too once I updated to 3.0 this afternoon, Now none of my apps that were in Category folders are showing up, And since there's no 3.0 Jailbreak yet, I'm stuck without access to anything on my phone.
    If you find a solution let me know, I'm looking myself.

• GoogleMyName
    via Wordpress

Wow Found the easiest Fix to bring back all of your apps.

Settings> General> Restrictions and enable this. This will unhide all your apps. You can then go back and turn restrictions off. After you turn it back off, all of your hidden apps that were in categories will be back on your spring board.

• Kevin
    Kevin Posts: 154
    via Wordpress

You are the Man!!! Thanks so much. I thought I was in for a long night of messing with iTunes. I had categories and updated to 3.0 and lost all my apps that were in a category folder. This worked great. Thanks so much!!!

• S
    S Posts: 31
    via Wordpress

omg that worked! thank you thank you thank you!!!! But some apps were still in the folder. had to run categories and dump all the rest out onto springboard

• SEF
    SEF Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Are you still able to receive updates to Apps that are in Categories folders?

• Gurkha
    Gurkha Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Don't know what you did or who you know, but that worked perfectly. Thanks, I was in a position to lose roughly 50+ apps waiting for 3.0 jailbreak.

Awesome, thanks again.

• Sallie
    Sallie Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

So what do I do if Settings was in a folder, and therefore not showing up now?

• f0nziePT
    f0nziePT Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

amazing... congrats for the simple resolution

• anton
    anton Posts: 12
    via Wordpress

Thank you so much googlemyname!!!!!!

• GoogleMyName
    via Wordpress

Welcome to everyone.

And uhh, If you're settings were in a folder, my only thought on a solution is you're stuck waiting until they Jailbreak 3.0 and you just do that to download Categories, and bring Settings Back out to the springboard.

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 326
    via Wordpress

Hi,
    How can I change the background in particular categories? I have already tried by overwriting the background.png file with a wallpaper of my choice through openssh but it doesn't make any difference. It is still black. I have also toggled the switch to use background.png

• Jamie
    Jamie Posts: 23
    via Wordpress

SOLUTION TO LOST APPS/FOLDERS WHEN UPGRADING!!!

hey guys i just found a easy solution to this prob!

I also just upgraded to firmware 3.0 without taking the apps out of my folders!
    I even put the Catagorys app in a folder.

So to launch Catagorys, i installed: AppFlow

(AppFlow lets you see all your apps and launch them)

i was finaly in the Catagorys app! so i made a NEW folder called 'temp' and put all the missing apps in there! (old folders are still hiden)

very easy fix :)

• steven
    steven Posts: 113
    via Wordpress

I have noticed a slight problem, not sure if it's just with the 3GS, but when I put the mail icon into a category or even hide it with poof the settings for it also hide in the iPhone's settings

• Bob
    Bob Posts: 183
    via Wordpress

This app works fine for me so far, But I do have a strange happening. Categories see's the following on my springboard that does not show up otherwise: DemoApp, Feildtest, Web, WebSheet. they all show up with an icon that has a question mark in it. Anyone know what this is?

• Manny
    Manny Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

Hello I was wondering if I can leave all the apps in folders and sync them to itunes or do I have to first empty them before syncing? I'm not restoring or upgrading, just want to do a simple sync.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

You can sync without any problem, you don't need to empty them before syncing. However, you need to remember to remove them from the folders before you upgrade to new iPhone firmware.

• Manny
    Manny Posts: 29
    via Wordpress

Ok thanks! I will try this next time I sync.

• apichatn@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

Great tip, thanks. Such a simple solution. Category must have function call to Poof and all that was needed was to toggle that.

What amazes me is that how the category "apps hide" can survive the FW upgrade after DFU?!. I mean what was accidentally left in category folder before the upgrade still hide the apps after FW upgrade and apps reinstallation!

• matt
    matt Posts: 283
    via Wordpress

For people who Update their Firmware and can't see their icons there is an easy fix.

Go into SBsettings and use the "Hide Icons" (poof icon) option to unhide all your apps. If your SBsettings icon is hidden, simply slide your finger across the top of the screen to bring up the menu and click on "more". Categories simply uses SBsettings to hide all the icons and then makes an app for each folder with the icons in them. Use the SBsettings Hide Icon feature to hide unnecessary icons like Stocks or Weather if you use TWC App.

• toni_castle
    toni_castle Posts: 5
    via Wordpress

wish it was a actual drag and drop folder it would make life so much easier but i guess this will do for now

• idocdina@gmail.com
    via Wordpress

I have a theme on my iphone & when I place an app in a folder using categories, the theme goes away & the icon looks like the original icon. Is there anyway to keep the theme formatting & move it into the folder??

• Islam Adel
    Islam Adel Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I found a workaround to speed up loading without backgrounder. this workaround removes the annoying loading window.
    1. Install any Winterboard Theme
    2. Open any category folder and press on the "i " at the bottom.
    3. Under icon theme, select the just installed Theme.
    4. Uninstall the theme and reboot

Result: No loading window, fast open

• Jared
    Jared Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

ok i have a problem...i mistankingly deleted categories without deleting all of the apps out the folders that i created. Now when i try to reinstall categories again, it doesnt show up...I guess i have to restore and jailbreak my phone again....which sucks..Any solutions?

• Jared
    Jared Posts: 67
    via Wordpress

ok nevermind...my problems resolved

• jj247365
    jj247365 Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hey could you please let me know how you solved this issue? I tried everything and can't get rid of these folders and categories won't install.....Your help would be greatly appreciated!

• Geek
    Geek Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

hey i accidently deleted the categories app without removing the folders.
    now i have unwanted folders and a new categories that cant see it.
    is there a way to delete the folders or should i refresh my phone ?

• Geek
    Geek Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

Way was ur solution?

• Kevsta
    Kevsta Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi
    i recently deleted an app from an apps folder i created using catergories, but when i delete it, now its nowhere to be found
    anyone please help
    cheeers

Kev