Apple Breaks Hardware Method to Unlock iPhone 3G with Firmware 2.2

^_^
^_^ Posts: 4,429
via Wordpress in iPhoneHacks.com
imageApple Breaks Hardware Method to Unlock iPhone 3G with Firmware 2.2

Prior to the release of iPhone firmware 2.2, the iPhone Dev Team had warned iPhone 3G users to avoid upgrading to it when its available until they give an all clear. They later confirmed that iPhone 3G users who were interested in unlocking their iPhones should NOT upgrade to the...

Read the full story here

Comments

• Gurpreet
    Gurpreet Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I also have updated to 2.2 accidently, have 2.2 jailbroken. just dont get any connection using my turbosim.

• yankii
    yankii Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

I was able to jailbreak 2.2 and also to downgrade to 2.1, but, once you downgrade to 2.1, the baseband version remains 2.28.00 (which is 2.2 version), and you will have No Service on your phone. The sim proxies work for 2.1 and below... so theres nothing we can do for now.

We can only wait for 2 things... either they release a sim proxy that is compatible with 2.2, or, iPhone dev team releases a way to either downgrade the baseband, or, to unlock the phone.

Either way, we have to wait... and get used to my iphone being an ipod touch for the time being.

• iPhoneHacks
    iPhoneHacks Posts: 2,315
    via Wordpress

@yankii,

We forgot to mention it in the post, but you have summarized the situation perfectly.

• Jose Ribas
    Jose Ribas Posts: 4
    via Wordpress

Hey guy's i got a 3G iphone with the Sim Gevey 3G- Plus on firmware 2.2 with pwnagetool 2.2.1 and is working perfect.

Before you update your Iphone with Pwnagetool 2.2.1 turn off the phone and take out your turbo sim and put back your regular sim.

Do step by step by pwnagetool 2.2.1 and when you restore the iphone go to setting and turn off the 3G option.

Turn off your phone and take out your sim card and put back your turbo sim with the T-Mobile or other network, go to setting and go to reset - reset all setting your iphone will restar againg.

Then go to setting and turn on the data roming and then go to cellular data network put the APN setting turn off your iphone and turn back on and Boom you got your iphone working 100%

• Jeremy Ervin
    Jeremy Ervin Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

So I upgraded to the new firmware using pwnagetool and after rebooting, my phone would no longer receive service. I have AT&T as my provider. I then restored my phone using itunes to the new firmware and I got service again. I was then able to Jailbreak my phone again using quickpwn and now I still get service. I think anyone who has AT&T must upgrade to the new baseband or they will no longer get service.

• iconoclast
    iconoclast Posts: 10
    via Wordpress

I was able to upgrade to 2.2 via pwnagetool preserving the older baseband version, and I can connect to AT&T just fine. You don't need the new baseband version. Keep the old one if you can.

• Jose Ribas
    via Wordpress

hey Jeremy Ervin now you have to stick with A&TT for ever you didn't follow the golden rule with Pwnagetool 2.2. used quickpwn was not good.

• Love my iPhone
    Love my iPhone Posts: 8
    via Wordpress

@Jose Ribas

The reason you can still use Gevey-3G on v2.2 is because you updated using Pwnage Tools, which has preserved the baseband.

You can verify the baseband version: Settings -> General -> About -> Modem Firmware

1) Modem Firmware: 02.11.07 is V2.1
    2) Modem Firmware: 02.28.00 is V2.2

I have already explained it in my previous posts. So let me summerise it again: If you want to have new features of V2.2 and also want to use Trubo SIM for hardware unlocking. Then you should:

While your iPhone 3G still in V2.1, and then use Pwnage Tools and create custom ipsw to update to v2.2 and jailbreak at the same. Do NOT update to V2.2 via iTunes and try to jailbreak afterwards.

• Jose Ribas
    via Wordpress

Hey Love my iphone I all ready know about that, i don't know why you came with that, remember pwnage tool "Golden Rule", Daaaa....

• John Asbury
    John Asbury Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I upgraded to 2.2 before I knew I could Jailbreak the 3g. Then I saw that quickpwn had made a jailbreak for 2.2. So I used that. It was simple, quick, and eventually worked after my iPhone keep on rebooting its-self for half an hour...

(THIS IS BEFORE I SEEN ALL THE WARNINGS ONLINE NOT TO UPGRADE TO 2.2 !!!)

Needless to say it worked. But now when I plug in sources that I know work, installer says they are valid, but I dont get any new categories or packets.

So my question is, why cant I get new stuff from sources I've seen work...

And can I take my phone back to normal, roll back to 2.1, then jailbreak it again using 2.1 until 2.2 is fixed.

I hope someone can help me with this, because I'm ready to run over my phone with my car and light it on fire!!!

• ahsan
    ahsan Posts: 14
    via Wordpress

Hello all fellows.

I use a jailbroken and ulocked iphone. I wait for a solution to come out. FOr every update there is always initial problems. I give time, take a look whats happening and when it is smooth i upgrade to 2.2 after a week. So the all the iphoners should wait a couple of days before updating, this will not only give them time to see things but also they can enjoy their iphone rather than getting annoyed messages.
    me still at 2.1 happy with it working.
    will wait a couple days further before upgrading.

• CristV77
    CristV77 Posts: 51
    via Wordpress

Hey guys, just a quick question of anyone can help me, I just downgrade to 2.1 but I can't unlocked my 3G, and I can't seem to find the "iPhone1_2_2.1_5F136_Restore.ipsw" but a file and not a .ipsw, so I cant do anything, wjat can I do, what will be the correct step?

any help will be greatly appreciated.

cristv77

• Jeremy Ervin
    Jeremy Ervin Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I tried to follow the golden rule but it was either stick with AT&T or no service at all. I could not get it to work right with pwnage tool for the life of me. I've jailbroken my iphone plenty of times but for some reason this time it didn't work right. Besides, I don't plan on switching carriers. The only reason I wanted to keep the baseband from being locked to AT&T was in case I sold my phone in the future. I'm sure by then, there will be a workaround anyway.

Posted by: iconoclast | November 24, 2008 at 03:12 PM

hey Jeremy Ervin now you have to stick with A&TT for ever you didn't follow the golden rule with Pwnagetool 2.2. used quickpwn was not good.

• Yarn
    Yarn Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

The Jesus phone is not co-operating, Whom do I bug????

• Vijay
    Vijay Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

hello experts,
    i need help !!!!!mine is a 1st generation iphone which got screwed with that iphone logo screen of death and put my iphone in recovery mode.but when i tried to restore it is asking to upgrade firmware.i am regular visitor of iphonehacks as i saw this discussion goin on ,i was wondering what should i do.i paused the download when it started.can someone please help me...

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress
  • Tor-Björn
    Tor-Björn Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I have also upgraded my iPhone with itunes and now it shows 'no service'. I really hope there will be a solution for this! Hopefully by software, but the proxy-sim have worked fine for me so that would be as good.

T-B, Sweden

• zoomah
    zoomah Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Well now i understand whats wrong, i tried to get my new iphone to work for like 3 days in a row, the first thing i did when i jailbreaked was to do it with 2.2, and now i read that it updates/screws up the baseband.. Isnt it possible to restore the old baseband!?!? Its not helping to downgrade to 2.1 again....

• Louis
    Louis Posts: 180
    via Wordpress

3 years prison for hacking the iphone. lol
    Calls for a Jailbreak

• m goode
    m goode Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I'm so glad people don't have this same problem with the Motorola Krave. (motorola.com/krave) It's one of my favorite new cell phones right now with a full touch screen and 2 mega pixel camera. I've been a fan of this phone ever since I started working with Motorola. It's incredible.

• Cruz
    Cruz Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I just purchased an unlocked/jailbroken iphone a few weeks back. It worked fine up until a week ago because I unknowingly updated to v2.2. I've been doing lots of reading to understand what I had to do to try and remedy the problem. I tried downgrading following the steps you guys provided and David's post and got it back to where I can see the buttons again. I'm now on v2.1 but the firmware is still off of v2.2 and now I'm getting the "no service" on the phone. Someone please help this Newbee out.

• Vijay
    Vijay Posts: 9
    via Wordpress

thanks a lot iphonehacks...keep rocking

• Brenmcg
    Brenmcg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

Hi All,

I bought a jailbroken 2g iPhone a couple of months ago. I upgraded it to 2.2 today using iTunes, and then used quickpwn to jailbreak it again. I've been getting "no service" since... Any ideas?

• iPhoneHacks
    via Wordpress

@zoomah, @Cruz & @Brenmcg,

yankii has summarized the situation for iPhone 3G users who have accidentally upgraded to iPhone firmware 2.2 which has also resulted in updating its baseband firmware:

"The sim proxies work for 2.1 and below... so theres nothing we can do for now.

We can only wait for 2 things... either they release a sim proxy that is compatible with 2.2, or, iPhone dev team releases a way to either downgrade the baseband, or, to unlock the phone.

Either way, we have to wait... and get used to my iphone being an ipod touch for the time being."

• LTD
    LTD Posts: 2
    via Wordpress

I agree with BrenMCG. At the end of the days its Apples loss as I wont be downloading from iTunes until the baseband or Sim Proxy situation is sorted. Why do the network providers and Apple have to get so greedy! All other phones alow you to unlock for a fee.

• Benmcg
    Benmcg Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

@iPhone hacks

The reason I upgraded using iTunes was that had thought that the 2.2 update didn't effect the baseband of the 2g iPhone... All of the warnings were for the 3g!!

• Joanna flaw
    Joanna flaw Posts: 1
    via Wordpress
  • Lng
    Lng Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

I accidently upgraded my iPhone 3G to 2.2 firmware also, I read the entry of how to downgrade it back to 2.1, and tried to do it but I got a error message after the attempt. When I opened my phone again, the screen didnt have any of the regular buttons and shows to plug the phone into itunes. When I plug it back into itunes, it tells me to restore it to the latest firmware again. Now my phone is all messed up and only allows me to make emergency phone calls and shows the screen to plug the phone into itunes, makes me regret even trying to downgrade it at all..actually regret to upgrade it to 2.2 firmware unknowingly. CAN ANYONE HELP ME, I'M GOING TO CRY MY EYES OUT!!!

• george holden
    george holden Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

All good news as the release will let you upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 without the baseband update which blocks unlocking.

If you have already updated and use a piggy back sim such as rebelsimcard turbo sim then you will find they don't work any more. The only thing you can do is get the new v3 any-network device .

read this:
    http://www.ukphoneshop.com/news/mobile-phone-unlocking/any-network-release-unlocking-for-iphone-3g-22-with-baseband-update/1035/

• JTL
    JTL Posts: 1
    via Wordpress

didn't this happen with a previous update? how long did it take for the devteam to find a solution...i guess my iphone is now a itouch for the time being...